Author Topic: Bicyclist vs. Motorcycle  (Read 11369 times)

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
Re: Bicyclist vs. Motorcycle
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 06:48:53 am »
Here you go, ZG.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Slideways

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 08:06:45 am »
Ahhh... More misunderstanding. Through out the USA bicycles are expected to follow the same laws as motor vehicles and it is safer in many situations to act like one instead of a pedestrian. As far as riding out in the lane is concerned this is a condition that is misunderstood by motorist regularly. Let's look at a few issues related to this because it is the cause of much, if not most of the conflict between vehicle vs bicycles. A white line painted alone the edge of a lane of traffic that has a shoulder to its right does not nessarily mean the shoulder is a bike lane. It would be polite and wise for the pedal bike to use it as such if it is safe but technically if it is not legally designated as a bike lane the cyclist has every right to be in the lane. 'In the lane' means to the right as far as is reasonable for the conditions of the road and if those conditions present a safety issue for the bicycle it is their right to 'take the lane' to avoid that condition. The cyclist should signal their intent to move away from the right of the lane in this instance and once the bicycle has taken the lane motorists must pass as if they were passing another car. A couple of states have passed laws that require a motorist to come not closer then three feet to a bicycle when passing and several more are being pressured to do the same but the three feet rule is generally consider a safe distance. As to groups riding two, three, four abreast and creating a log jam.... well as a life long cyclist this is one of my pet peeves. Yes they should ride single file if there is other traffic. No they should not be riding more then two abreast. Generally a group ride of bicyclists is a cluster f*** because there is no rider in that group acting as the ride leader. They whole thing comes down to rider training and there is damn little of it in cycling. This does not make it okay, it just is and sadly motorist must deal with it without harming the bicycle rider. This said if a small group is taking a lane and a motorist comes up they may well reform into a single file line but getting several cyclist rearranged doesn't happen in a snap of the fingers and the approaching car may be upon them before they have been able to get into that single file line. It's a drag yes but you might have to slow and wait a few seconds for the gaggle to regroup before passing. If a bunch like this is at least making an effort to do the right thing I give them the moment they need. There is an important difference between a group of bicyclists and a group of motorcyclists that is the reason for most of the unreasonable riding practices. That is the ability to converse while riding. Yes there is gear now that allows motorcyclists to communicate but not every rider has this and it is much different then simply being able to talk. I bring this up to help explain why cyclists ride next to one another and although this does not make doing so right or smart or even safe talking to your riding buddy is part of cycling. Here again just trying to cast a little light on things and help bring some understanding to this issue.

In my opening post other reasons for a cyclists to use the lane were presented. Those dealt with differences between a motorcycle and a bicycle and I tried to explain some of why a cyclist might do some seemingly unreasonable things especially at speed. As a motorcyclist we all act differently and better I believe toward that rider on a motorcycle when we are driving our cages. We do this because we have a better understanding of the what the motorcyclist is experiencing, unlike the typical driver who has never ridden and has no frickin' clue. If I can help you guys understand the bicyclist a little better and you modify your outlook and riding to bring a little peace to the highway then some good will come of BMW Idiot Boy's transgression. At this point I couldn't possibly try to turn him in as I have no information about the incident and I am certain even if info could be uncovered he would deny it. There is karma though and I think it caught up to him. Last fall he screwed up, went over a steep embankment in a very remote area and spent almost two days under that BMW so injured he could not move. Help finally came and he has a long road of rehab ahead but will be ok and is riding again. I wouldn't wish this on him but then again I don't nessesarily disapprove. Wonder if he thought of the bicycle rider while he was lying there?
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 03:29:52 pm »
just can't out ride KARMA... 8) ;)

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 07:17:46 pm »
When I'm not on the Connie or a sportbike, I'm rocking the carbin fibre on the road. Ok I'll be honest, its been a dust collector lately maybe I'll put it on the craigslist 

POKEY had a sign put up in his honor-  ;D

Some miles in NC

A few in SC

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 09:13:23 pm »
stevewfl:

That bike isn't safe to ride.  Somebody stole most of your spokes. ;)
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 06:39:59 am »
Have had some very close calls in tunnels and blind curves on the BRP with cyclists, hence why I am not a fan of them. Hi viz and a tail light should be mandatory for all cyclists, especially on roads like the BRP and Skyline Drive......it helps keep us all safer.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 06:44:00 am »
+1 on that....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 07:48:45 am »
+2

I have a stick on LED for the helmet and another on the back of the bike when on the BRP or anywhere other than the FL sunshine
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 08:54:05 am »
In my opinion the bike rider may have taken the horn toot as 'I know you're there, we're both bikes, lets get through this corner and then I'll pass'.  Sort of a courtesy and trust between riders.  The moto rider betrayed that trust.  It wouldn't have cost him but a second or two to hang back but he wanted to be a dick.  Well he is one in my books.  Hope he thinks about it and loses a lot of sleep over it.  The chickens usually come home to roost.

Alternatively,  we are always talking on this forum about atgatt and riding like everyone is out to kill us...don't the cyclists have any sense of self preservation?  I hate coming up to cyclists on a road because they are as unpredictable as scared rabbits.  Pedestrians have the right of way when crossing a street but when was the last time you stepped out without looking?  Did you trust that guy who looked like he was slowing down but not making eye contact?  Self preservation! 
The cyclist who was hit maybe had to swing out to make the corner because of speed or road but maybe he should have hit the brakes instead and stayed to the inside and not trusted the moto rider.

It takes alot of trust to ride or drive our roads.  We trust that nobody does something stupid all the time.  Moto rider did somethig stupid and it cost someone else dearly.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 01:13:26 pm »
They recently passed some law in Ohio making it legal to ride side by side on a bicycle on roads. Its next to impossible to to travel down some roads on weekends due to back ups because many cars think you can't pass a bicycle on a double yellow line straight road. I like bicycles, I've got no problem with them being on the roads. But like many things and activities, bad behavior is remembered. Its very rare for me around where I live to see a bicyclist obeying the traffic rules that all on the road should obey. Stop signs? Forget it. Red lights? I've seen bikes many times ride through against the light at intersections. Speed limits? Nope. Courtesy? Your kidding right? I just wish they'd ride single file on a busy road thats all. 
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 10:04:55 pm »
They recently passed some law in Ohio making it legal to ride side by side on a bicycle on roads. Its next to impossible to to travel down some roads on weekends due to back ups because many cars think you can't pass a bicycle on a double yellow line straight road. I like bicycles, I've got no problem with them being on the roads. But like many things and activities, bad behavior is remembered. Its very rare for me around where I live to see a bicyclist obeying the traffic rules that all on the road should obey. Stop signs? Forget it. Red lights? I've seen bikes many times ride through against the light at intersections. Speed limits? Nope. Courtesy? Your kidding right? I just wish they'd ride single file on a busy road thats all.

Thanks for summing up my thoughts and my observations as well.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 06:10:37 am »
I didn't read all the posts, but I will chime in anyway.  Most motorists are not educated enough about the rights of bicyclists on the roadways.  bicycles have as much right on the roadway as motorized vehicles (with very few exceptions like interstates).  People are supposed to pass by moving into the other lane when it is safe to do so. 

All those who are pissed at bicyclists on the roadway are just selfish persons who are thinking only of themselves. 

Out in the country we deal with bicyclists, farm equipment, old pickups, ancient drivers in ancient vehicles, etc. 

The only people I get pissed at are the ones who are breaking the rules of the roadway like turning left from the right lane, driving slow in the left lane, texting while driving, etc.

I would provide an anonomous tip to the police concerning that rider.  Nothing may come of it, but you will have done the right thing.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 06:24:45 am »

All those who are pissed at bicyclists on the roadway are just selfish persons who are thinking only of themselves. 

Not true
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 06:39:17 am »
In FL the geriatrics are more of an issue than bicyclists  :D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:13 am »
In FL the geriatrics are more of an issue than bicyclists  :D

What about when you combine the two?    :o

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn