Author Topic: Bicyclist vs. Motorcycle  (Read 11404 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Bicyclist vs. Motorcycle
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 09:00:51 am »
Not true

For sure not true, it is a safety issue for me "and that includes the cyclist".
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Slideways

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 09:18:46 am »

It's a safety issue that includes all of us using the roads. Okay so maybe it is legal to ride double file in some states, fine. However if the cycling community wants to promote peace on the roads use common sense (honestly why is it so uncommon?) and make an effort to share the road even if "legally" you have a right to do otherwise. On some of the canyon roads I bicycle on there are many hilly, twisty sections that motorists have difficulty passing on. At the first safe oppurtunity I pull over and wave them by. Doesn't ruin my ride anymore then it screws up the motorist to hang back for a moment while I'm getting out of their way.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 09:22:21 am »
All those who are pissed at bicyclists on the roadway are just selfish persons who are thinking only of themselves. 

NO way. I'm not pissed at bicyclists in general, but here in San Francisco we have a lot of bike riders running stop signs, stop lights, and even killing pedestrians and making jokes about it.
Too many cyclists with no care of the law here.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 05:27:08 pm »

It's a safety issue that includes all of us using the roads. Okay so maybe it is legal to ride double file in some states, fine. However if the cycling community wants to promote peace on the roads use common sense (honestly why is it so uncommon?) and make an effort to share the road even if "legally" you have a right to do otherwise. On some of the canyon roads I bicycle on there are many hilly, twisty sections that motorists have difficulty passing on. At the first safe oppurtunity I pull over and wave them by. Doesn't ruin my ride anymore then it screws up the motorist to hang back for a moment while I'm getting out of their way.

You are in the minority for that. And on another note, some of the clothing that cyclists wear should be outlawed.  :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 05:54:46 pm »

You are in the minority for that. And on another note, some of the clothing that cyclists wear should be outlawed.  :o
Looks a little Euro doesn't it?  :pukeface:
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 07:35:35 pm »
In FL the geriatrics are more of an issue than bicyclists  :D

I had a brother that lived in Stuart for years. He stopped riding because of that.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 04:20:13 am »
The bicyclist moved in front of the m/c. Whether he knew it is moot. Here bikes are to remain to the right, just as a pedestrian is to walk against the traffic and remain to the side. The m/c rider should have stopped after making contact but the bicyclist was at fault. Let's say it was two motorcyclists and one suddenly moved in front of the passing m/c. What say ye now?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 06:36:37 am »
Looks a little Euro doesn't it?  :pukeface:
If by "Euro" you mean "stretched beyond the limits of what even Spandex should be capable of", then yes.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Slideways

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 07:17:04 am »
The bicyclist moved in front of the m/c. Whether he knew it is moot. Here bikes are to remain to the right, just as a pedestrian is to walk against the traffic and remain to the side. The m/c rider should have stopped after making contact but the bicyclist was at fault. Let's say it was two motorcyclists and one suddenly moved in front of the passing m/c. What say ye now?

A bicycle is to stay to the right side of the lane as far as safely possible. Safe if the key word and and the cyclist has a right to the whole lane if he needs it. The motorcyclist involved here told me he could have chosen to avoid the bicycle but felt he had a right to the lane without having to alter his line through the corner. If you reread the first post this was stated there. The motorcyclist did not say to me in his telling of this the the bicycle moved over suddenly but that he felt the cyclist was aggessively 'defending' his line through the corn which unfortunately intersected the motorcycles line. I fail to see how the bicyclist is at fault here.

Fault aside my goal in this thread is to show some of the differences a bicycle rider experiences, especially at speed vs what a motorcylist experiences in the same circumstances. If I accomplish this then maybe some of you who read this will better understand what that cyclist may or may not do as you approach and are about to overtake them. A little understanding and maybe the knowledge will make for at little more peace on the roads.
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 08:10:30 am »
are we grumpy haters
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 08:12:30 am »
You say the bicyclist "defended his line". IOW he chose to move to the center of the road even though the m/c was approaching. You also said the bicyclist is to remain to the right if safely possible.
It wasn't safe to move left because a vehicle was approaching. IOW- the bicyclist was the aggressor. He was not avoiding a hazard, he was riding aggressively and chose to move to the inside of the lane even though the hazard was approaching from the rear. I am not defending the motorcyclist but let's say he crossed the center line to avoid the bike and caused an accident. He was only doing the same as the bicyclist by "aggressively defending his line".
Both were wrong.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 08:12:47 am »
When I'm not on the Connie or a sportbike, I'm rocking the carbin fibre on the road. Ok I'll be honest, its been a dust collector lately maybe I'll put it on the craigslist 

POKEY had a sign put up in his honor-  ;D

Some miles in NC

A few in SC

^^^^^^my right to run red lights and ride through cross walks, on side walks. with full forgiveness of the law!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 08:35:32 am »
That must be Beauregard, the wonder dog!

Offline ARS

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 08:38:27 pm »
are we grumpy haters

+1
As some of you, I live in both worlds.  Bicycling and motorcycling are two of my favorite passions.  Attitudes have change in the past 30 years on the road.  I don’t understand it so I couldn’t start to explain why so many of us have become so aggressive on the roads.  When I say aggressive, I’m referring to down to vindictive like behavior.  This includes all types of vehicles and people.
25 years ago I rode a bicycle from San Diego to Northern Wisconsin carrying 70 lbs of gear.  I didn’t have one single problem with motorist. . .not one!  Now if I want to go on a 20 mile bicycle ride I have to launch out of my garage on a Saturday or Sunday morning as the sun starts to pop up to avoid the drunks and punks.  Even still I’ve been forced onto the soft gravel shoulder by some punk a$$ cager twice on a flat straight stretch of county road in the middle of nowhere with no other traffic!!
Not looking for a group hug . . .it just sucks having to exercise my open carry rights while riding a bicycle.  My 9mm doesn’t match my neon shirt.
 :shoot:  ;)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2013, 08:45:35 am »
Ya don't have to be on a bike of any kind to avoid some cagers. They even challenge 18 wheelers!