Author Topic: ProjektD Rear Fender Eliminator and Rear Hugger  (Read 17647 times)

Offline SimonSaysDie

ProjektD Rear Fender Eliminator and Rear Hugger
« on: June 02, 2011, 07:21:08 AM »
Does anyone have the ProjektD rear fender eliminator and hugger?  I guess there isn't really much to the fender eliminator (i.e. license plate bracket), but do you feel it was worth the cost?  Does the hugger make a noticeable difference as far as keeping anything clean or offering protection from road muck/debris?

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
Re: ProjektD Rear Fender Eliminator and Rear Hugger
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:32:37 AM »
I have the elminator.  I really like it.  You're right, there isn't much to it, but it's well-made and it uses the stock license plate light.  I would try and find it on eBay because the shipping on Projekt D's website tends to be on the high side. 

I don't have their hugger though.  I think mine was made by Motax.
I feel like a new person!

Offline jonathan

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:25:31 AM »
I have the "ProjektD" hugger and it does help for cleanliness but I bought it more for style. It is actually made by Skidmarx in the UK and you can get it in the states from David at http://www.streetfightersbydesign.com/

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:35:02 AM »
I have the "ProjektD" hugger and it does help for cleanliness but I bought it more for style. It is actually made by Skidmarx in the UK and you can get it in the states from David at http://www.streetfightersinc.com/

+1
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
I have the "ProjektD" hugger and it does help for cleanliness but I bought it more for style. It is actually made by Skidmarx in the UK and you can get it in the states from David at http://www.streetfightersbydesign.com/

Thanks...does the hugger require any modifications to install or is it pretty much bolt on?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:48:52 AM »
Thanks...does the hugger require any modifications to install or is it pretty much bolt on?

No mods needed, it's bolt on. The exhaust can needs to be removed in order to get to a bolt or two though.

The only issue with the hugger is that some anal types, myself included, felt that the bike's bolts that are used to mount the hugger weren't long enough and we purchased bolts that were a lil longer. See the pic below for the issue, the nuts weren't engaging all the threads of the bolts on the very end.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 03:16:28 PM »
I have the Muzzys rear fender eliminator and like it, very clean look when you're not running side bags...  :thumbs:

http://www.muzzys.com/concours14/concours_14_fender_elim/index.html

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 07:21:26 PM »
I followed the link provided by ZG to Muzzy's fender eliminator and was shocked to see a picture to advertise the fender eliminator and saw that they have the bags on backwards...I hope their designs are better than their assembly skills.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 07:55:48 PM »
That Muzzy kit looks awesome!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
I followed the link provided by ZG to Muzzy's fender eliminator and was shocked to see a picture to advertise the fender eliminator and saw that they have the bags on backwards...I hope their designs are better than their assembly skills.

;) Good catch Jax! That's too funny!  :o

Brian and I were just talking about that the other week and we couldn't find the pic but knew it was out there somewhere, I didn't even look at the pic when I posted the link...

I definitely wouldn't trust these guys to put my bags on but their products are great IMO.  :thumbs:

Offline jonathan

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:07:56 AM »
Just a note that any ZX-14 fender eliminator will fit. You are not limited to the ones that claim to fit a C14.

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 01:55:05 PM »

Awwww Crap... I must be going blind.  Do you have a better link?  Thanks a bunch!
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline jonathan

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 02:57:06 PM »
Just call or email.

sbd@davidcork.com

Streetfighters by Design

P.O. Box 1027
Truckee, CA 96160
phone (530) 587-8521
fax (530) 587-8521
email sbd@davidcork.com

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »
Just call or email.

sbd@davidcork.com

Streetfighters by Design

P.O. Box 1027
Truckee, CA 96160
phone (530) 587-8521
fax (530) 587-8521
email sbd@davidcork.com

Thanks again... I appreciate it.
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 06:26:05 AM »
Just call or email.

sbd@davidcork.com

Streetfighters by Design

P.O. Box 1027
Truckee, CA 96160
phone (530) 587-8521
fax (530) 587-8521
email sbd@davidcork.com

Yeah, David has lots of stuff that nots listed on his site. He's easy to talk with and has a nice accent too.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 09:27:13 AM »
Hey Restless,

Here's the pics that I have. If you look at the last one you can see the 'L'  shaped bracket on the right side, the longer part goes down. I'll snap a better pic of this for you.

I tried to put a red X on the part of the bracket that faces down, you'll get the idea.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 04:12:34 PM »
How about this fender eliminator kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Concours-14-Fender-Eliminator-BRAND-NEW-/320692371315?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aaac13f73

It does require the use of the bolt-lights (LED style included).  $48 with free shipping, made of 5052 aluminum that is black anodized.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 11:51:24 PM »
At $50-60 for the fender eliminator kits, I think I'll break out the dremel, flat file and fine sandpaper and just trim the stocker down to my liking.  Only part I really don't like is the donkey d*ck and reflector that hang down below the plate.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 08:50:59 AM »
Restless,

Ok, here's what you need. I found the hugger instructions (the attached pdf) and I took you some pics (the pics in the instructions didn't come out too well). See the bolt that holds the rear brake line in place in the first 2 pics below? That bolt gets removed and the longer bolt that should have come with your hugger gets put in it's place (see the parts list in the instructions for info). A nyloc nut gets screwed onto the end of this bolt, after you put the bracket on, but you don't tighten it up all the way, just enough to keep the hugger bracket from rotating. 

You don't use any of the bolts on the caliper for this.

It helps to get the hugger in place before you tighten up anything. That way you can position the hugger to your liking and then tighten everything down.

Offline Restless

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 05:05:35 AM »
Restless,

Ok, here's what you need. I found the hugger instructions (the attached pdf) and I took you some pics (the pics in the instructions didn't come out too well). See the bolt that holds the rear brake line in place in the first 2 pics below? That bolt gets removed and the longer bolt that should have come with your hugger gets put in it's place (see the parts list in the instructions for info). A nyloc nut gets screwed onto the end of this bolt, after you put the bracket on, but you don't tighten it up all the way, just enough to keep the hugger bracket from rotating. 

You don't use any of the bolts on the caliper for this.

It helps to get the hugger in place before you tighten up anything. That way you can position the hugger to your liking and then tighten everything down.

Conrad,

Thank you!!!!!!!!!  The pics (especially the one showing the back of the brake line bracket) finally makes mounting that braket on the right side crystal clear.  :thumbs:     Perhaps SkidMarx should use that one in their instructions  :o

Now I just need some time to get this done...I'm going out of town on business starting tomorrow for the whole weekend.  :(  Weather is supposed to be nice and if I was home I'd probably have gone riding anyway.  Next rainy day, this is my priority!

Thanks again for all the back and forth communication on this...I owe you a cold one!   :hail: :chugbeer:
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"