Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 354314 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #570 on: October 11, 2014, 10:11:45 am »
That's kinda what griped me about during my term there.  IBM had many divisions essentially competing against each other with similar products.  It was a freakin nightmare.  And no one talked to each other.  Heck, they didn't talk to each other in the same division!  Don't get me wrong about IBM, I loved that company and still do but I get very frustrated working with them at times.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #571 on: October 12, 2014, 04:17:20 am »

... the frickin' Stock Market!   

Online Conrad

« Reply #572 on: October 12, 2014, 06:45:51 am »

... the frickin' Stock Market!

:'(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #573 on: October 14, 2014, 11:04:00 am »
That's kinda what griped me about during my term there.  IBM had many divisions essentially competing against each other with similar products.  It was a freakin nightmare.  And no one talked to each other.  Heck, they didn't talk to each other in the same division!  Don't get me wrong about IBM, I loved that company and still do but I get very frustrated working with them at times.

HA... and you have the IBM Business Partner in the mix too... AHHHHHH!  EMC has gone this route too!  What has really tossed the spanner in the works, our IBM Business partner is now offering EMC products.  :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #574 on: October 14, 2014, 02:03:57 pm »
 :yikes: and  :yikes: :yikes:   That's interesting as IBM has their own storage that spans from small to very large.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #575 on: October 14, 2014, 03:05:27 pm »
:yikes: and  :yikes: :yikes:   That's interesting as IBM has their own storage that spans from small to very large.

But their mainframe replication software (anything Mirror) is horrible... just plain horrible!  Some of their OpenSystems storage is just rebadged NetApp toasters.  :o
Rob

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #576 on: October 14, 2014, 03:08:49 pm »
But their mainframe replication software (anything Mirror) is horrible... just plain horrible!  Some of their OpenSystems storage is just rebadged NetApp toasters.  :o

From what I understand (dam little of storage), those toasters are going away.  I can't speak to the replication side as I don't know that much about it.  I'm a System i guy (since '88)...we hate external storage.  Makes our life miserable, it does.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #577 on: October 14, 2014, 03:13:15 pm »
From what I understand (dam little of storage), those toasters are going away.  I can't speak to the replication side as I don't know that much about it.  I'm a System i guy (since '88)...we hate external storage.  Makes our life miserable, it does.

iSeries... like old AS/400's?  :o   ;D
Rob

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #578 on: October 14, 2014, 03:34:59 pm »
 >:(   Yes..you mean those IBM servers that don't get viruses, don't get hacked, reliability off the charts, easy to use and administrate, and in most Fortune 500 companies chugging away silently running back end applications?  If those are the servers you're talking about, then yes.  Been riding that horse since '88 and plan on continuing at least for the next 10 years.  The IBM road map for their life expectancy is past 2020 and is now on the Power8 generation. ;D

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #579 on: October 14, 2014, 03:54:15 pm »
... Like my zSeries?  ;D  I've been doing the mainframe thing since 79.

I played with an F80(?) back in the early 90's... hooked it up to a token ring so it could PNET print to a Barr System server to print on our Xerox printers.  Dabbled around with it for a while... not much I could do with it as a mainframe Systems Programmer.  Those were fun days.  8)
Rob

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #580 on: October 14, 2014, 04:02:40 pm »
I do remember the F series...they were housed in IBM beige racks.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #581 on: October 15, 2014, 06:53:54 am »
More on the subject of meetings...

An excellent article on meetings on Linkedin by Jeff Denneen

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141013220246-169567318-let-s-fix-it-kill-the-weekly-meeting?trk=eml-mktg-inf-m-fixit-1015-p1

Let's Fix It: Kill the Weekly Meeting

Dilbert’s pointy-haired boss goes ballistic when challenged about the value of the day’s big meeting: “I called this meeting, and it’s not a meeting until someone’s time gets wasted!”

That’s not far from the truth, though the motivation for meetings at most large companies is usually more benign. A few years ago, a leading technology company saw its profitability and productivity declining. It surveyed 30,000 employees worldwide to determine how to improve organizational effectiveness. Employees responded that only 54 percent of the time spent in meetings was time well spent. They cited unclear meeting purpose, unnecessary standing meetings, overly long meetings and unnecessary attendees as reasons for unproductive meetings.

Too many people get together without really knowing why, simply because it was on their weekly schedules. Admit it, you’ve been there. You’ve probably called some of those meetings. I know I have.

What’s less obvious to people, however, is the ripple effect those unproductive meetings have on an organization, especially when top executives meet. My Bain colleague Michael Mankins and his team analyzed time use at one large company and found that people there spent 300,000 hours a year just supporting the weekly executive committee meeting. Using data-mining tools to analyze the Outlook schedules of everyone in the company, they found that the executive committee meeting required preparation and ancillary meetings by unit heads, senior advisers, teams ... and more teams. You get the point. The meeting prep radiates outward like a forest fire consuming widening circles of employees.

But meetings don’t have to get the best of you. You can manage them as closely as you manage every investment. Here are three things you can do:

Have a purpose. If you don’t know why you’re meeting, don’t meet! Most valuable meetings have one of three purposes: inform, discuss or decide. Before calling a meeting, think about whether you could inform people through a different medium, or use a tool to reach a decision. And take most standing meetings off your calendar, because they breed poor habits. If a meeting is truly the best alternative, be clear on its purpose and desired outcome.

Manage the invite list. In many companies, it’s bad form not to invite lots of people to a meeting. What people don’t realize is that every additional attendee adds cost and gets in the way. Remember the Rule of 7, which states that every attendee over a total of 7 reduces the likelihood of making a good, quick, executable decision by 10 percent. Once you hit 16 or 17 people, your potential for decision effectiveness is close to zero.

Don’t send delegates to meetings unless the purpose is solely to inform. Delegates are rarely empowered to actually do something, which means a “decision” meeting gets turned into a “discuss” meeting, which requires another decision meeting. If you can’t get the right people in the room, don’t have the meeting.

Change the default time. Not too long ago, most companies called 30-minute meetings. Now the typical default time has grown to 60 minutes, even though every additional minute generates a higher cost. How about a rule that says if a meeting lasts more than 90 minutes, it requires approval by an executive who is two levels above the convener?

A Bain colleague recounted recently how a U.S. undersecretary of defense in charge of procurement came to her first meeting with contractors and saw about 60 people in the room. She asked everyone to say who they were and why they were there. Participants rolled their eyes but did as she asked.

After the first two had identified themselves, the undersecretary said, “Thanks for your interest, but we won’t need you here. You can excuse yourself.” Others met a similar fate. By the time she got to the 10th person, others were getting up to leave, knowing they had no real reason to be there. Eventually the group comprised about 12 members — and the productivity of that meeting rose about fivefold.

Take a cue from this government leader. Once you do, your teams can focus on the most important issues, consider alternatives and make the best choices in the shortest amount of time.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #582 on: October 15, 2014, 07:50:34 am »
Ahem... back on topic.  What makes me crazy is listening to the so called experts telling us how safe we are from Ebola.  Meanwhile, more and more cases get reported and they seem to spread in ways which we were just told aren't possible. 

Don't want to start an ebola thread or a government is mostly useless thread, but it does make me crazy.

Online gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #583 on: October 15, 2014, 08:57:16 am »
Ahem... back on topic.  What makes me crazy is listening to the so called experts telling us how safe we are from Ebola.  Meanwhile, more and more cases get reported and they seem to spread in ways which we were just told aren't possible. 

Don't want to start an ebola thread or a government is mostly useless thread, but it does make me crazy.
We've already got an ebola thread and the government is mostly useless thread is a recurring theme in the Arena.  :)
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #584 on: October 15, 2014, 11:20:21 am »
Women in general.   :o

Sometimes I can't wait until the sex drive goes away.   ???

Then I can just enjoy riding without complications.   ;)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077