Author Topic: How many was that?? Rear wheel bearing failure.  (Read 41036 times)

Offline Spikey01

• Badgers? We don't need no steenking Badgers!
    • Michael Hamilton Web Design
Rear Wheel bearing failure c-14
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2013, 09:14:22 am »
So I'm riding up PCH on a mellow day trip to Santa Barbara from Van Nuys to have lunch on my 2009 C-14 with 19.5K on it. Bought it used last June. Love the bike. Just before Summerland I start hearing "CLUNK CLUNK CLACK CLUNKITY." Coming from somewhere, and I think I feel a slight vibration. So many tar strips, rough section, don't know if it's me or the road. I pull off the next off ramp. Yes, it's me. Very slight vibration and an oh-so-faint wobble. Drive up and down the side road. Stop, get off check all over. Looking for something rubbing or hanging off, because that's what it felt/sounded like. Nothing. No smell. Limp it into town, CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. Call a tow truck. Find a local dealer. Have lunch. Mechanic at the dealer thinks it is coming from the rear end. Says it's serious. Take the train home.
A few days later, phone call. The rear wheel bearing has failed. Fortunately, covered under warranty. Picked it up yesterday. Several balls in the bearing are completely missing. Rubber seal messed up.
One possible scenario: I had a flat rear tire about 600 miles ago. 4" nail, destroyed the tire. As it was loosing air (slowly) I was trying to limp home. Drove about 3 of the 4 miles, tire finally blew completely, had to push it off the street and get a tow. Took it to a dealer (not Kawasaki, but a very good shop I have been to many times in the past) who had the tire, got it replaced. So possibly I damaged the bearing by driving that short distance (very slowly, about 30 mph). The last few hundred yards were on a completely flat tire. It was a very busy street with no shoulder and a big curb on the right so I had to get to an opening so I could pull off to the service road. Scary stuff.
The other possibility is that the mechanic over or under torqued the axle bolt. Possibly a newbie mechanic, but this shop is very good, always has done top notch work on my Gold Wing and C-10 in the past. (Now gone to new owners.) And the last possibility is just a defective part (highly doubtful). Here's a pic.
Michael Hamilton

...and Bob's your uncle.

Offline Conrad

Re: Rear Wheel bearing failure c-14
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2013, 09:22:14 am »
See this thread for what may be the same issue.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=11808.0

Please note that I merged the other wheel bearing thread into this one.  The link above is for this thread.  (the management)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:51:41 am by VirginiaJim »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: How many was that?? Rear wheel bearing failure.
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2013, 09:30:59 am »
top!  for more pages....   ;)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Spikey01

• Badgers? We don't need no steenking Badgers!
    • Michael Hamilton Web Design
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2013, 01:03:55 pm »
This is all over my head. Plus, most of it is partly in Italian and/or the videos have been struck from YouTube.
I'm just wondering if I might have caused this by riding on the deflating rear tire, even for just a few miles. I should have pulled off the street immediately, have seen the nail, and called a tow truck. I did hear a "POP" and thought I had run over a nail and started seeing the rear tire pressure go down. Didn't realize how big the nail actually was.
It's the famous "I think I can Make It" syndrome - nail in tire, running out of gas, that snow/mud/water isn't that deep, etc.
Michael Hamilton

...and Bob's your uncle.

Offline Daytona_Mike

« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2013, 01:24:40 pm »
I cannot see how a flat tire would effect the bearings. It is the side loading or side pounding that can damage  these types of bearings.
The bearing can take a pounding up and down due to a flat tire or a rough road but hitting the axle bolt to get it back in could do the trick.

I have never used ALL BALLS and I am about to install new ones on the front and rear.
Any issue with those?
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle