Author Topic: Securing the Side Case (Pannier) Lock Cylinder  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Highett

Securing the Side Case (Pannier) Lock Cylinder
« on: April 13, 2013, 08:30:02 PM »
Securing the Pannier Lock Cylinder

In a previous post I demonstrated how insecure a locked pannier was and how easily the lock cylinder could be removed allowing the pannier to be taken off the bike or access to the contents - This post demonstrates how to secure the lock cylinder to prevent removal and improve pannier security.

Remove the handle and locking assembly from the Pannier.

From inside undo the screws and it comes out easily.

Remove the Lock Cylinder - Its not hard, you can make the tool to remove lock cylinder  from a used or new hacksaw blade as depicted.

Click on the picture and it will play a video and show how to remove the Lock Cylinder from the handle assembly using the above tool.

Drill a hole through the bottom, drill through the aluminum backing as well - try and make it central - the hole only needs to big enough for the screw to pass through without binding.

Enlarge the hole in the backing plate to accept the screw head -  be careful not to drill into the plastic underneath.

Drill a hole in the end of the lock cylinder to suit the size screw you intend to use, ideally drilling and tapping a thread would be the best method but in this example I used a self taping screw.

Be very careful here not to over drill as it will damage the key cylinder and your key will not work anymore.

Cylinder with key removed.

Cylinder with the key inserted - when the securing screw is fitted if it extends too deep then the key will not fit correctly and will not open the pannier.

Lock cylinder drilled.

Lock cylinder securing screw in place.

Tested and working.

This was all done on a spare handle lock assembly I have.

Its very easy and does not require any expensive tools to complete and takes about half an hour for each pannier, be careful drilling the holes, I used a hand held drill but this would be easier and more accurate with a drill press.

Cheers

Paul

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Securing the Side Case (Pannier) Lock Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:05:37 PM »
Very well illustrated and described.  Great job!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 06:15:46 AM »
A brilliant solution to a problem nobody new existed until.....

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 07:10:43 AM »
Good thing I never have anything in there worth stealing, and I don't typically ride any place where I should get something stolen. Good info though!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 09:45:43 AM »
Nice write up and pic! Thanks!

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 09:15:53 PM »
If you don't locktite that screw it will back out and then it may prevent you from opening the bag.

Offline Highett

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »
If you don't locktite that screw it will back out and then it may prevent you from opening the bag.

Thanks Rick,

Good pick up

Cheers

Paul

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 11:37:30 PM »
 :chugbeer: Thank you!
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 01:35:14 AM »
I bet it works on other locks also.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 10:12:20 PM »
I bet it works on other locks also.
When I saw the pictures of the tumblers I thought they looked just like tumblers from my Givi cases. So I pulled out my spare Givi tumblers to have a look. They are in fact almost identical except for the bottom where the mod inserts the screw. Instead of a cylindrical bottom it is squared off and there are grooves for a clip to hold the tumbler in place. Better design...
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »
Excellent work there Paul.  I was wondering if something like that would be possible, but didn't have any time to investigate it.  Thanks for posting up such thorough step by step instructions, and great pictures.

Job well done!

After reading it, I thought about adding a washer between the screw head and the aluminium plate to reduce wear.  However, given that the rotation only happens when turning the lock cylinder, which probably means pushing down on it, the wear should be minimal.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 04:56:54 AM »
 :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 05:32:45 AM »

If the screw comes out, it will not affect the operation of the lock.  It will just no longer prevent one from removing the cylinder assembly with a trivial tool.  However, it is probably a good idea to locktite it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 06:13:48 PM »
Trivial tool?  I don't think I have any of those.  All my tools are important equally.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 06:17:16 PM »
.......especially the bag stealing tools.