Author Topic: Float level setting gauge  (Read 10597 times)

Offline MetrickMetal

• MetrickMetal Custom Motorcycle Parts
Float level setting gauge
« on: April 25, 2013, 07:23:10 AM »
I initially used a precision 6" scale with clearly marked mm graduations to set the float height to 17mm, but because you can only hold the scale so close to the end of the float, it's sort of hard to hold the scale and the carbs in the correct attitude and accurately read the height of the floats.

So that’s when I decided to machine up a custom float height setting gauge out of 3/16" thick aluminum which makes it very easy while holding the carbs in the correct attitude to accurately check that the float height is set at 17mm, and it's simply held against the float bowl surface on the carb body over the float.

When checking the float height with my setting gauge that I had initially set using my precision scale, I found all four floats were off by 1mm+.

I've made float setting gauges like this before for other bikes I've owned, and it will be interesting to see how setting the floats using this gauge this compares to the liquid level float check procedure.

www.MetrickMetal.com custom motorcycle parts
Custom naked 07 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S/AK7
In the process of resurrecting an 02 C10

enim57

Re: Float level setting gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »
When I set my levels years ago I used the depth gauge end of a vernier caliper. When setting the level make sure the carburetors are at an angle as shown in the workshop manual, don't ask me how I know.

Regards, Russell

Offline MetrickMetal

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »
When I set my levels years ago I used the depth gauge end of a vernier caliper. When setting the level make sure the carburetors are at an angle as shown in the workshop manual, don't ask me how I know.

Regards, Russell

Thanks, and yes I know about holding a carb at the correct attitude when checking the float height, and although the factory service manual does show the carb at an angle in the drawing showing on the height measurement and where it measured from, it does not show the angle. So what you want is to rotate the carb until the tab on the float just contacts the spring loaded plunger on the needle, and after the float touches the plunger on the needle, and on my carbs I would say that once it the tab touches the plunger on the needle, it can be rotated about another 5 to 10 degrees before the weight of the float starts to push down on the plunger and change the float height.

So once you get a feel for it, it not hard to hold the carb in the correct position when checking the float height and having used both a scale and calipers before to measure the float height on carbs, the gauge I made is IMHO much easier to use and makes for a much more accurate float height measurement.  :)   

enim57

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
Yes that's what I found - the hard way of course. I reckon the carby tilt is about 10 degrees, the workshop manual diagram actually measures at about 15 degrees.

The gauge you made would make it easier but I had to work with what I had and I decided the vernier would be more accurate and easier than a ruler. Maybe you could market your gauge?

Regards, Russell.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »
SISF can shed more light on this I'm sure. I think the static measurement will get you very close. It will be interesting to see what you find with the clear tube method as a followup. If you are lucky, you will not need any more adjusting. Still, nice to know for sure.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline MetrickMetal

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Yes that's what I found - the hard way of course. I reckon the carby tilt is about 10 degrees, the workshop manual diagram actually measures at about 15 degrees.

The gauge you made would make it easier but I had to work with what I had and I decided the vernier would be more accurate and easier than a ruler. Maybe you could market your gauge?

Regards, Russell.

Without actually measuring the angle, I would say that I had the carb at a 10 to 15 degree angle, and while I was holding the carbs when checking the float setting with my gauge I thought about making up a simple stand out of wood to nest the carbs at the correct angle, which I still may do just for fun, and I have thought about making and selling my float setting gauge.  :)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 09:04:29 AM »
Since your into making things, this is not mine, but someone on here I believe (I just stole the pix).  I haven't made one, but might at some point.  Great tool and it is adjustable.  Should be inexpensive to make.  I probably have half of it in the garage already.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline MetrickMetal

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 09:15:23 AM »
Since your into making things, this is not mine, but someone on here I believe (I just stole the pix).  I haven't made one, but might at some point.  Great tool and it is adjustable.  Should be inexpensive to make.  I probably have half of it in the garage already.

That's perfect, and just like you I probably have most of the PVC fittings and pipe needed to build it already, but I'll go over the pictures and pick up what I don't have today and build one, and use it to double check the float height using my gauge, and of several of the ways of holding the carbs that I had been thinking about, holding them using the intake spigots was one of them, and it can be used for both setting the float height as well as for checking the fuel level using the liquid procedure. 

Thanks for posting this up.  ;)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 04:59:50 AM »
I think you'll find almost all floats in the connie carbs don't sit square tot he bowl. I think they warp some from being in the fuel. Often they exhibit some "pinching" and one side is higher than the other. Cool tool though. Steve

Offline MetrickMetal

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:17:32 AM »
I think you'll find almost all floats in the connie carbs don't sit square tot he bowl. I think they warp some from being in the fuel. Often they exhibit some "pinching" and one side is higher than the other. Cool tool though. Steve

I only checked the height on one side of each floats with my gauge, and I had thought about checking the other side to see what it was but didn't, but after I construct a stand to be able to hold the carbs at the the proper angle and level from side to side on my bench instead of holding the carbs by hand, I'm going to check the height of the floats again, but this time each side of the floats, and then finish off with a liquid level check to see how that compares to the height setting.  :)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:09:02 PM »
That's my carb holder thingy.  I pull my carbs at least yearly just to stay in practice, so after a couple of years the few bucks in PVC parts pays for itself.  I sure makes setting the fuel levels easier.  Nice float setting tool.  I love home-made tooling.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline MetrickMetal

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
I finished my carb stand this afternoon and it came out pretty nice. I used some pieces of aluminum out of my scrap bins that I machined up along with two snug fitting Delrin holders that I turned on my lathe that the carb spigots fit into.

To use the stand for checking the float height, you simple loosen the single M8 bolt and set it to the proper angle and lock it in place, and to use the stand for performing a liquid level float bowl inspection, you simple rotate the carbs around 180 degrees on the vertical tube and loosen the M8 bolt and rotate the bracket around until it contacts the round adapter that fits into the vertical PVC tube which sets the carbs at level, and it’s very stable.  :)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:51:57 PM by MetrickMetal »

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 06:47:28 AM »
Wow.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline MetrickMetal

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 10:04:39 AM »
I got this idea from a member on another forum I'm on.

So I found a round scrap piece of aluminum that was almost to size that had a shoulder on it the same OD as the 1" PVC tubing, and I only had to turn as Little bit off of the stepped section to slip into the pipe, then I drill a hole in the in the top of my bench for an M8 bolt so that I can easily attach and remove it from the bench.   

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 12:05:48 PM »
Can you post a photo with the Carb Gage in place over the float?
Mebbe a close up?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 05:22:30 AM »
slick!  :chugbeer:  Steve

Offline MetrickMetal

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 06:48:39 AM »
Mebbe a close up?

Ride safe, Ted

I just bolted the float bowls all back on yesterday after rechecking the float height using my new bench stand, but I take one of the bowls back off and take a picture of the float setting gauge in action either today or tomorrow for you.  :)

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »
I finished my carb stand this afternoon and it came out pretty nice.

Show-off  ;D

Nice work.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline MetrickMetal

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »
Mebbe a close up?

Ride safe, Ted

enim57

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 07:56:12 PM »
Very nice in both cases (gauge and stand), will certainly make the job easier and more accurate. I especially like the way the stand is suitable for both methods of checking float level (gauge and fluid).

Regards, Russell.