Author Topic: Rostra troubleshooting help needed.  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
Rostra troubleshooting help needed.
« on: April 28, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »
I just install the Rostra Electronic CC and performed a successful diagnostics test.

The unit engages as it should, disengages with either brake, and works.

However:

1. It surges a little especially at slow speed.  At 60 or so it seems to mellow out and work fairly well, although I am questioning the consistantcy as 1 test ride seems a little different than another.

2. The Clutch Will NOT disengage unit.
Symptoms:
leave the house get up to 30 mph engage CC - Works
Pull in clutch - Tachometer goes to idle , appears to disengage.

Continue up to 60 mph engage CC - Works
Pull in Clutch- Engine Free Rev.
Let out clutch still engaged,
Pull in clutch free rev,
Let out clutch still engaged.

Decelerate to 30 mph -
Pull in clutch - free rev.

Go home pissed off.  >:(

I Triple checked Wiring:

Light Green (short) Rostra wire ------>> to ---->> Left side fairing Connector Red Wire w/ (light) green stripe.

SWITCHES:
 1    2    3     4   5   6   7   8   9  10 11 12
off  off  on  on on on off off off  on on off

Am I missing something here?

Thoughts?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Rostra troubleshooting help needed.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
I responded to virtually the same question via e-mail so I won't duplicate it here.

I would like to take a moment and try (probably fruitlessly) to correct a 'correction' that is floating around about the Rostra install on a C-14. I originally said that the wire to tap into for the clutch circuit was the black wire, located under the top / left fairing cover. Sometime in the past, someone adjusted this information to reflect a supposed change on newer models and the new way is to tap into the Red / Green wire in the same connector. Now here is the sad but interesting thing- the person who 'figured out' the 'new color' of the wire was looking at the wrong side of the connector. Kawasaki typically changes the wire color codes when the wires pass through a connector. So the original instructions to use the black wire are still valid, there have been no changes to the clutch wiring colors, and there has always been a Red / Green wire on the OTHER side of the connector and it is still part of the same circuit. Tap into either wire and it does not matter because it is the same wire, just the other side of the harness connector.

The same thing happens regarding the pink wire going to the VSS; I was very careful to mention that the pink wire has to be tapped on the sensor side of the connector, not the engine side of the connector. The reason is because while there is a pink wire in both sides, they are NOT in the SAME CIRCUIT.

For those who are color blind, please ignore all of the above and just use your usual method of 'cut and hope' when wiring.  ;)

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
Re: Rostra troubleshooting help needed.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:53:01 PM »
Thanks Brian, and thank you for getting back to me! I didnt see the email or this post untill after we got it figured out. we removed the clutch wires and did continuity testing on the white plug. From my poor eyes, the color looks dark brown but here is a pictures for those googling this same issue! :)
For those that want to understand more, the clutch switch is merely a ground. When you pull the level in, it grounds the circuit. If you were to touch the green wire from rostra to ground, it would do cancel the CC. I would like to also mention that I grounded the BLUE wire as well since it was in the manual.

Once again a big thanks to Brian, Alan Reid and all the others that have forged the path for us!!