Author Topic: Trunk buying advice: Kawasaki Vs. other brands  (Read 10882 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Trunk buying advice: Kawasaki Vs. other brands
« on: May 21, 2013, 09:26:01 AM »
Based on the number of questions I get from people who purchased a Kawasaki trunk at the same time they bought their bike, I'd like to provide some guidance for those who haven't yet bought a trunk.  For the Concours there are really only two choices based on the trunk mounting systems.
The Kawasaki trunks are similar to Givi monoLOCK trunks in that they require an additional universal mounting plate. Nearly all other brand trunks fall into that category. If you plan to stay with the stock plastic luggage rack you are limited to trunks having a universal mounting plate or you can use the Givi SR-410 mount that reinforces but sits above, the stock rack.
Givi monoKEY trunks use a system that allows them to mount directly to an after-market luggage rack using an inexpensive mounting kit that can be quickly removed when the trunk isn't needed.
There is one other possibility, the SEARS / J.C. Whitney trunk MAY fit a rack with a Givi / SW-Motech monokey kit.  It may require some minor modification to the trunk bottom or it may just fit like a Givi trunk. l think they have trunks made by sub-contractors and some of them will fit and some may need a little tweeking or it may not work at all. I've sold a number of racks to folks who have used these trunks successfully.
I'm not promoting any particular brand, just trying to let folks make informed choices. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:13:39 AM by philipintexas »
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Trunk buying advice: Kawasaki Vs. other brands
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »
Should be a good thread.  Thanks for bringing it up.

My thoughts, the plastic rack is a piece of  :censored: .  I wouldn't carry nor mount anything to it.  It's been recalled once and we've had a least one report where it disintegrated (new one).

I personally have a Shad46 that I got from Murph.  It has a metal base plate mounted to the rear rails.  The plastic rack is on a shelf gathering dust.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Sinstr

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »
I bought a 50L Shad trunk and the metal plate that mounts to the rails.  Love the trunk, easy to use, worth the money
Sinstr

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:15:05 PM »
Didn't know there were so many options when I bought mine, 11/2010.  Got the OEM put into the price. 10850 plus fees for my '09. Been paid off for quite some time, thank goodness.  8)

Had I known I woulda gone with something that has the ability to handle the SO leaning back against it.  ;)

No issues with the Kawi parts. Don't use it that often but it is handy to have that extra space when going to the beach or a weeklong two-up trip. Always try not to exceed the 10 lbs. limit.   :)

Knowing what I do now, my selection would be different!  :chugbeer:
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline udoggie

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »
FYI, phil's farkles rack is a lot better than the Givi 410, and really easy to install as well.  If you're in the market, definitely check it out.

While the mount is definitely important, so is getting a box that meets your needs.

I've had a Givi V46 hat I've been using for some time now, and finally broke down and got the box I really need (A Givi E55).  The '46 was just a little too small to hold what I needed to put in it.

Jeff
Aloha, OR.

voileauciel

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 02:36:15 PM »
I love Phil's rack. Not only does it really look awesome on its own, but with the trunk on there, it's as solid as can be. Also makes a great mounting point for a rearward-facing GoPro camera!

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »
I have a 2012 with a Phil's rack and a Givi 46L Monokey.  I need to add some more padded strips because my case rocks and rattles and rolls (it has a little slop between the Phil's rack and the Givi case).
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Cougr67

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 09:47:48 AM »
I went with the 50L CooCase from TwistedThrottle.com. the mounting system is not a slick as the Givi Monokey but the price and features make up for it. CooCase comes with built in brake lights, padded inner liner, color top panel included in base price, remote locking system and more. All at a chapter price than Givi. I highly recommend at least taking a look.
2012 C14 - Black -

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 12:23:29 PM »
COUGR67: Can you post photos of the mounting system and hardware, that may help people who want to see what's involved. Thanks.

Offline PH14

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
I went with the 50L CooCase from TwistedThrottle.com. the mounting system is not a slick as the Givi Monokey but the price and features make up for it. CooCase comes with built in brake lights, padded inner liner, color top panel included in base price, remote locking system and more. All at a chapter price than Givi. I highly recommend at least taking a look.

Did you get the backrest, and if so, does your passenger like it?

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »
Also, the Kawasaki trunk is rated to hold 3Kg and the trunk that fits on Phil's rack is rated to hold 10Kg.  Nuff said.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline booger

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »
I dunno.  I'm kinda anal though.  Why would I want to spend the bucks on a KAWASAKI Concours, and have the trunk say GIVI?
I went with the OEM trunk, mainly for looks and the color matching.

Offline Cougr67

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »
I am pretty sure that the Kawasaki OEM trunk is made by Givi. Kawasaki just puts their name on it and jacks the price up

I will get pictures of the CooCase later this evening
2012 C14 - Black -

Offline Cougr67

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 11:51:15 PM »
Here are a few pictures of my CooCase trunk. I have it mounted on the rack recommended by Twistedthrottle.com. The rack is not nearly as nice as Phils but then again it is considerably cheaper and if you are using this case it is covered up by the mounting plate anyway.

One other nice thing about this set up is that there is some adjustment for and aft, With the Givi Monokey system if the pass backrest doesn't happen to fall in the right spot for your passenger you are SOL.

The case has three tabs on the bottom that lock into the forward part of the mounting plate. The back part snaps into place similar to all the other trunks I have seen. The electrical connectors for the locks and lights automatically connect when the trunk snaps into place so you don't have to fuss with any wring when removing and installing.

I did get the backrest option and my passenger does like it. Its nothing fancy, just a firm rubber pad screwed to the lid, but much appreciated back support.

For comparison, for the trunk, gloss black lid, steel rack, and backrest came to a total of 339.97. I bought a t-shirt to bring the total over 350 so I could get free shipping.

Bike looks kind of pathetic sitting in the back yard waiting for new seat to arrive this week.....

Probably not the highest quality setup but I am happy with it, no regrets ;D
2012 C14 - Black -

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 05:15:59 AM »
I dunno.  I'm kinda anal though.  Why would I want to spend the bucks on a KAWASAKI Concours, and have the trunk say GIVI?
I went with the OEM trunk, mainly for looks and the color matching.

GIVI makes the Kawasaki trunk.  My givi trunk matches the bike better than the Kawasaki trunk because I have the clear lenses like the bike has.  Plus the brake light in the trunk is a nice addition when commuting.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 07:18:38 AM »
I forgot to mention one other possibility, the SEARS / J.C. Whitney trunk MAY fit a rack with a Givi / SW-Motech monokey kit.  It may require some minor modification to the trunk bottom or it may just fit like a Givi trunk. l think they have trunks made by sub-contractors and some of them will fit and some may need a little tweeking or it may not work at all. I've sold a number of racks to folks who have used these trunks successfully.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 09:20:16 AM »
I think the Shad 50L matches well with the lines of the C14. The side trim has little inverted fin cut outs (don't know how to describe them) that match with the side bags.
I thought that on my bike, the stock flat black didn't match at all, so I went through a lot of trouble to find the optional top plate. I got matching silver paint from colorite and painted the top lid and side trim to match the silver on my bike.
The trunk can be left unlocked so I usually use it for carrying stuff when I go shopping, easily holds my helmet. I have never wanted for more storage space, even on my two week trip last fall.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 10:34:30 AM »
I forgot to mention one other possibility, the SEARS / J.C. Whitney trunk MAY fit a rack with a Givi / SW-Motech monokey kit.  It may require some minor modification to the trunk bottom or it may just fit like a Givi trunk. l think they have trunks made by sub-contractors and some of them will fit and some may need a little tweeking or it may not work at all. I've sold a number of racks to folks who have used these trunks successfully.

The large whitney trunk will fit.  Had one on my KLR650.  I wouldn't put that on a nice concours though.  For those that have the whitney trunk, it is a copy of an older givi trunk.  Just add some weatherstripping to the lid and it will be waterproof.
My Concours Travels:

Offline lablank

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »
I've got the luggage rack (with the GIVI monoKEY kit installed) and backrest from Advanced Sport Touring, that I use with my Givi E-55 (clear lenses and AdMore lighting kit). Perfect for me and my passenger (actually, if the "passenger" is happy, I'm happy!!!).  I did not like the puny backrest that came with the Givi E-55 and the AST backrest is fantastic. And it can be used without the box!

Rene
2012 C14 Candy Arabian Red; 2005 Hayabusa Red/Black
1988 Katana 1100; 1990 Intruder 800; 1979 GS1000E; 1978 GS750E; 1973 CB350

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
I am pretty sure that the Kawasaki OEM trunk is made by Givi.

Correct.