Author Topic: Petcock kit install  (Read 16234 times)

Offline Daytona_Mike

Re: Petcock kit install
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 08:48:10 pm »
The same kind of debris that could cause the vacuum shutoff to leak could plug the overflow tubes. 

If you have a chunk of debris large enough to choke shut an overflow tube  you have something seriously not right on your bike. I would say you have a hole in the tank screen which needs to be fixed.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 07:50:05 am »
Automatic petcocks shut off the fuel flow the very instant the engine is no longer creating vacuum. That goes for starting the engine as well. Humans  are  no where near as fast as automatics...

Quite the fanciful bit of writing....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010
Ask me about a set of Stick Coils & Harness or Precision Shift Linkage for your C10 Concours

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 11:17:27 am »
It is proven the auto petcock is unreliable. Hence the proliferation of rebuild kits and manual replacements.
Besides the real problem is the poor design of the float valves.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 11:47:59 am »
Appreciate the analysis, Daytona...yes, there was some damage.  Better now that the hydrolock prevention is not based on a flimsy screen.

You may be amused to learn that I turn off the petcock BEFORE I turn off the engine.  Faster than the automatic.  If I am not going to be riding for a while - we do get some Winter up here - I can run the fuel bowls dry if I like.  I like.  And yes, I turn on the fuel AFTER I start the engine.  Again, faster to anticipate than react.    I thought about the reaction time issue when I was fabricating a temporary solution by the side of the road 100 miles from home, and there is my response.

Thanks for the lively discussion...

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »
I've been riding C-10s since 1990, a little over 23 years and a few 100,000 miles. I've had very few petcock problems. In every case the petcock would develop a slight external leak. I've never had one fail to the point where it would leak internally into the fuel line. I've rebuilt several including on friends bikes. The Kawasaki kit has worked well in every case where it was used, the K&L has not done as well in the few times we have tried it.

I don't do cars, I ride the bike for all of my transportation. The chance of me leaving the petcock turned on is great considering how often I ride and How often I'm on and off the bike.

I would not consider a manual petcock, as I feel the chance of me leaving the petcock turned on is far greater than the chance of the petcock failing. YMMV
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »

Quite the fanciful bit of writing....

Yes, quite . . .
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline Daytona_Mike

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 06:50:08 am »
I guess so but the point is the same

datsaxman understands the risks with the manual. I would not have thought anyone else would. Good job datsaxman.
                   Just remember to do what your doing all the time even when the engine stalls say for example  a stuck open float valve  and your good to go unless you have over flow tubes then no worries.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 07:20:15 am »
I got a manual design. I'm pretty darn quick, but thanks for informing me that I'm not THAT quick. Dang! When can I expect this dreaded hydrolock you talk of?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 07:29:25 am »
I got a manual design. I'm pretty darn quick, but thanks for informing me that I'm not THAT quick. Dang! When can I expect this dreaded hydrolock you talk of?

Your a hoseman your very job is accepting, expecting, mitigating and/or dealing with risk....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010
Ask me about a set of Stick Coils & Harness or Precision Shift Linkage for your C10 Concours

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 07:40:11 am »
Hydrolock will not happen while the engine is running because the fuel will be burned albeit not completely. It can't flow that much fuel that quickly.
But, let's say your petcock isn't shut off. The cylinders flood with fuel. What is the actual cause?
Poorly designed float valves. Since hydrolock is a common ocurrance there neleds to be a fix for the actual problem. Overflow tubes don't fix the problem. It just allows the fuel tank to empty onto the garge floor.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 08:09:13 am »
OK, not trying to be flippant or cause an uproar. I would think that if this problem is as bad as some say here concerning trashing motors, I would have thought that Kawasaki and all the other manufacturers that use this design, which has been around for decades, would have addressed this problem years ago. I mean, of all the bikes produced, other than anecdotal stories here on this forum, really, how many are experiencing this problem, how many are being ruined? Is there a study? Was there a memo? A recall? Please don't say they addressed it with the new C-14 as this design has been around for decades. Please don't tell me of your friends, family, racing buddies, mechanic's stories or a page long copy/paste treatise, these are all anectdotal. I would have thought that if this many motors were being damaged, that somebody somewhere in either marketing or engineering or design would have experienced it too and decided to redesign it or address it. Are there really THAT many motors being trashed? 

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 11:10:13 am »
It was fixed on the C14. It has fuel injection.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 12:03:12 pm »
Nice try Cholla.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 01:54:08 pm »
Was there something that I stated that was incorrect?
They don't use the carbs on the C-14 so, it was addressed on the C-14.
Why should they worry? It doesn't happen until the bike is out of warranty. And HONDA makes the carbs.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 03:08:49 pm »
@datsaxman
See reply 11 edited for typo