Author Topic: Waving to other motorcycles  (Read 20286 times)

Offline anycleavers

Re: Waving to other motorcycles
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »
You know, I like the wave, camaraderie and all that, maybe that will be the guy to help me out, band of brothers (and sisters)etc..

Always return the wave when I see it, but........ I commute to work at 4:45am, fer pete's sake, the sun hasn't even thought to come up, haven't had any coffee and I'm focusing on getting to work in one piece. Do I have to WAVE too?

Maybe I'm just getting a mite irritable in my advanced age (at least that's what my kids tell me).  :banghead:
"Always take the long way home."

Offline IDZG14

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2011, 03:45:56 pm »
I actually ride a Harley and a Connie (more time on the Connie).  I have found that regardless of what bike I am on, some Harley riders do not wave.  They are usually the older one %'s, or at least wannabes.  Some metrics (sport and cruisers), also will not wave when riding my Harley, even when I wave first.   I wave at everyone, regardless.  I know the number of riders is increasing so I can see why a lot of people get annoyed with it. 
2010 Concours 14, 2008 HD Softail Custom

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2011, 08:56:40 pm »
I actually ride a Harley and a Connie (more time on the Connie).  I have found that regardless of what bike I am on, some Harley riders do not wave.  They are usually the older one %'s, or at least wannabes.  Some metrics (sport and cruisers), also will not wave when riding my Harley, even when I wave first.   I wave at everyone, regardless.  I know the number of riders is increasing so I can see why a lot of people get annoyed with it.
Just smile & keep waving regardless of a return wave specially to the 1%'ers
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Hang2er

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2011, 09:46:45 pm »
I have always waved at every bike I see, unless, of course, I see or feel something that makes me want to keep my hands on the bars and probably 75% of those waves were returned.  My general assumption on the other 25% is they are seeing something I already passed that makes them not want to let go. 

That said, the only group that waves less than HD's with no helmet is kids on sport bikes, I don't believe I've ever got a wave out of one of them.  I do snub scooters and spyders, the trikes with 2 wheels on the back I generally assume are disabled riders still getting out there and certainly give and return waves.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2011, 06:40:25 pm »
Well, I've never considered it a wave, but a salute. If I don't salute, it's because I didn't see the other bike, or I deem it dangerous to do so (twisties & heavy traffic). When splitting lanes and the cage moves over to give me room, I salute them as well. And yes, I live in CA.
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2011, 02:06:22 pm »
In SoCal also...I usually wave, will always at least nod.  Not expecting one in return, so cool when it happens.  Cool when it doesn't.  Black modular helmet, black riding pants, black leather, black gloves, black beard.  No doo rag, and no more Harleys.  When I wear the yellow all weather gear, different folks wave.  Whatever. 

So...there we were 300 miles from home on the Buell...before I got the Concours.  First long ride with the GF.  1000 miles in three days.  Route 66, lots of curvy roads and sightseeing.  And waving.  She is pretty excited about that one and has taken over the duty for both of us.  So we are gearing up to pull out of a Burger King in Quartzsite - Nowhere, AZ - for the push homeward and we see this big Doo-Rag and Chaps Pirate on a very nice all white HD dresser pulling through the lot, idling right by us.  Better yet, there is his girl right behind, on her own ride - an all white Buell! 

We had been bike-watching the whole time, and we have seen Enfields, and Nortons, and an Earles fork BMW, but this is our first Bueller all weekend.  How peeved do you think the GF was when she gave them both the beaming startled wave and grin...and got NOTHING?  Not a smile, a nod, nothing at all.  Cute, perky, happy chicklet turned sour instantly.  Quick stop for gas and we are on the road.  GF grumbling.  "DANG PIRATES!"  were her last words...

20 miles or so down the road, we see somebody pulled over on the shoulder.  ME?  I always stop.  Been there, done all of that.  One of our saddlebags is full of tools and stuff.  Ten years working at a shop, so I can usually help.  So I signal and slow down.  Hey, it's our friends the Whites!  She is leaning on her Bueller looking peeved and he is sitting on the ground poking at the primary side of the HD.  Ms. White looks up, hopeful. 

GF?  Turns out, she DOESN'T stop for folks that don't wave.  We are down to second gear by the time she figures out who they are, and gives me a shot in the ribs.  "OOOOHHHH NNOOOOO!!  I DON"T THINK SOOOOOO!!" She is laughing that sarcastic laugh as we accelerate back onto the highway.  Man, that Bueller sounds gooooood running the revs up through the gears like that. 

Like I said, I always stop.  Treat GF like a dick and it may not go so well. 

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2011, 02:30:42 pm »
In SoCal also...I usually wave, will always at least nod.  Not expecting one in return, so cool when it happens.  Cool when it doesn't.  Black modular helmet, black riding pants, black leather, black gloves, black beard.  No doo rag, and no more Harleys.  When I wear the yellow all weather gear, different folks wave.  Whatever. 

So...there we were 300 miles from home on the Buell...before I got the Concours.  First long ride with the GF.  1000 miles in three days.  Route 66, lots of curvy roads and sightseeing.  And waving.  She is pretty excited about that one and has taken over the duty for both of us.  So we are gearing up to pull out of a Burger King in Quartzsite - Nowhere, AZ - for the push homeward and we see this big Doo-Rag and Chaps Pirate on a very nice all white HD dresser pulling through the lot, idling right by us.  Better yet, there is his girl right behind, on her own ride - an all white Buell! 

We had been bike-watching the whole time, and we have seen Enfields, and Nortons, and an Earles fork BMW, but this is our first Bueller all weekend.  How peeved do you think the GF was when she gave them both the beaming startled wave and grin...and got NOTHING?  Not a smile, a nod, nothing at all.  Cute, perky, happy chicklet turned sour instantly.  Quick stop for gas and we are on the road.  GF grumbling.  "DANG PIRATES!"  were her last words...

20 miles or so down the road, we see somebody pulled over on the shoulder.  ME?  I always stop.  Been there, done all of that.  One of our saddlebags is full of tools and stuff.  Ten years working at a shop, so I can usually help.  So I signal and slow down.  Hey, it's our friends the Whites!  She is leaning on her Bueller looking peeved and he is sitting on the ground poking at the primary side of the HD.  Ms. White looks up, hopeful. 

GF?  Turns out, she DOESN'T stop for folks that don't wave.  We are down to second gear by the time she figures out who they are, and gives me a shot in the ribs.  "OOOOHHHH NNOOOOO!!  I DON"T THINK SOOOOOO!!" She is laughing that sarcastic laugh as we accelerate back onto the highway.  Man, that Bueller sounds gooooood running the revs up through the gears like that. 

Like I said, I always stop.  Treat GF like a dick and it may not go so well.

Good story, Karma can be a bitch eh?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2011, 02:40:24 pm »
I'll generally wave at anyone on two wheels.
Even scooters. They get no love to start with.
When my son had completed the MSF coarse, I would have him ride with me, he on my 2fiddy ninjette, me on my Triumph TBS, as one of the rules for the first year of his riding. After our third or fourth time on the highway, he asked how I knew everybody going the opposite way.  :o
Still cracks me up!
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline RED121572

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2011, 02:08:41 pm »
I wave at all the lone, two wheel riders by dropping the left hand with the pointer finger slightly down. If I happen to cross a large group of harley riders and there isnt a metric bike within their pack, I know not to wave because I wont get one back. A good percentage of HD riders in this area belong to clubs. (Outlaws, Black Pistons and local non 1%'er clubs and associations) Alot of those guys live in a world all their own and don't give the metric crowd a second thought.
06' FJR1300
--------------
"Something is not quite stirring the kool-aid"
-IBA 47245-

Offline W14

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2011, 02:23:19 pm »
I wave unless I'm in a curve or for some other reason I need both hands on handle bars. My experince is that most riders, even Harley riders, wave back or initiate the wave.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2011, 08:26:30 am »
 never wave first ,cant get your feelings hurt that way. 8)

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 12:36:00 pm »
I wave all the time regardless, Even at Can-Am rider if no one is looking.  I also wave at cagers (left hand turns) that actually stop and look and see me coming.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 02:49:58 pm »
I wave all the time regardless, Even at Can-Am rider if no one is looking.  I also wave at cagers (left hand turns) that actually stop and look and see me coming.

Cheers
Ron

+1
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline pasini510

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 05:08:08 pm »
I was happy to find the Flash to pass trigger and since I do not have a headlight modulator ,I will train my self this spring to flash my light and nod. I really hate having to wave to 25 bikers passing on other side of road . Its not that I dont like people either.
Andre

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2012, 07:22:18 pm »
Here in the North East you know who to wave to for about 4 months out of the year.  Anytime the temps drop below 40 only true bikers take their bikes out, I wave to every one of them.  When the temps rise the squids and posers show up and it's guessing time again.  I will typically wave to everyone until I am so po'd from the lack of responses that I then revert to response waving only.  When I ride with my club ( winter riders only ) we have all types of bikes and all are pretty decent folks.. I try not to judge by the bike.  I personally have owned American, British and Japanese and don't think the bike should dictate your personality.