Author Topic: Thoughts on the 2013 Multistrada  (Read 22518 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: Thoughts on the 2013 Multistrada
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 05:36:48 pm »
40?  I close my vents on the front, but other than that?  When it gets to 32 I will close the back and I may put on a thermal shirt and a neck gaitor.  My fav riding temp is 50ish, anything above 70 and I'm cooking like an egg in a hot skillet :o  My brain is indeed scrambled ;D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 10:29:20 am »
40?  I close my vents on the front, but other than that?  When it gets to 32 I will close the back and I may put on a thermal shirt and a neck gaitor.  My fav riding temp is 50ish, anything above 70 and I'm cooking like an egg in a hot skillet :o  My brain is indeed scrambled ;D

I stay plenty warm below 40, just don't enjoy nor do I want to ride below that temp. I agree with ya on temps in the 50's, that is about perfect IMHO! Heat in the Summer really isnt the problem, it is the horrific humidity that I hate.  :(
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ugocon

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 11:01:27 am »
The Multistrada is a great bike with the following peculiarities (related to "enduro like" bikes or crossover, as you like, such as GS, Super Teneré, etc.):
- top quality
- top performance engine
- top electronics
- top price  >:(
- good but not the top protection
- good but not the top bag capacity
- "zero" off road capabilities

It's a powerful streetbike with a more erect (and comfortable?) posture

It WAS unique until the new KTM 1190 Adventure came out, with the same performances (150 HP !!!) and very good off road capabilities.
All this for around 4,000 euro less!!!
 ;)

The Multistrada is way too expensive....

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 02:20:09 pm »

I don't care who says "it", I'm no lemming, and I have owned an ADV bike. I love them, but not as my only bike or my two up bike of choice.

I ride with IBA guys that have GS's, and the last ride we did together we rode from Chicago to the UP, and into the night as temps dropped finally bottoming out at 29 degrees they were crying uncle while I was nice and toasty out of the wind on my C14. I know how they feel, I've experienced that.   

Of course someone can ride them however and in whatever conditions they care to. That was not my point. The point is....I don't want to make a longer ride harder than it needs to be by being beaten up by weather on a bike with much less wind protection. Even my GSA left me too much in the open during rain/cold. I want to extend my short little riding season as long as possible, and my pillion likes room and wind protection. Even the C14 is less than ideal for her.

I don't begrudge you for having a different opinion that's fine.. we're human beings. However, when they way you articulate that right out of the box is by being insulting, then fair warning dude, I'm going to come back at you if that is how you do biz.

I stand by my statement, and it's a valid counterpoint that an ADV bike is a better second bike than it is a long distance two up weapon. It works for you, we get it, but don't ram it down our throats and insist it's right for all.

Moving on, and that all said, the Multi is a great bike, no question.

Following your logic, the Concours would not be my only bike and is definitely not comfortable enough for two up riding.  My wife will not even think about riding on the Concours when I have the Voyager in the garage.  The Concours is way too hot in the summer months to ride around with protective gear on.

Let's face it.  The perfect bike is three bikes in the garage.  or in my case, six. :)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 02:21:46 pm »
The Multistrada is a great bike with the following peculiarities (related to "enduro like" bikes or crossover, as you like, such as GS, Super Teneré, etc.):
- top quality
- top performance engine
- top electronics
- top price  >:(
- good but not the top protection
- good but not the top bag capacity
- "zero" off road capabilities

It's a powerful streetbike with a more erect (and comfortable?) posture

It WAS unique until the new KTM 1190 Adventure came out, with the same performances (150 HP !!!) and very good off road capabilities.
All this for around 4,000 euro less!!!
 ;)

The Multistrada is way too expensive....

The new KTM is NASTY!!!!  :hail:  I don't feel the Multi is overpriced at all, especially compared to all its competition. The Multi is not as good offroad as the KTM, and the KTM is not as good onroad as the Multi. That is why the Tenere and the GS is such an amazing machine. Of course I can get all that with my cheap ass junky Vstrom and still have allot of money to spend on "whatever".  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline eng943

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2013, 06:50:14 pm »
Following your logic, the Concours would not be my only bike and is definitely not comfortable enough for two up riding.  My wife will not even think about riding on the Concours when I have the Voyager in the garage.  The Concours is way too hot in the summer months to ride around with protective gear on.

Let's face it.  The perfect bike is three bikes in the garage.  or in my case, six. :)

No, because I do not insist that what works for me must work fir you. I ride my C14 in full aerostitch year round.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2013, 08:41:07 pm »

:goodpost: :chugbeer:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2013, 03:05:34 pm »
No, because I do not insist that what works for me must work fir you. I ride my C14 in full aerostitch year round.

You must live in Canada or Alaska is all I have to say.  You would never be able to wear a stitch in the southeast in the summer and survive.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2013, 03:45:31 pm »
You must live in Canada or Alaska is all I have to say.  You would never be able to wear a stitch in the southeast in the summer and survive.

That would make for a bad case of swamp ass and sweaty balls.  :yikes:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline eng943

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 04:22:02 pm »

Really...never in the southeast? First, it's frequently just as hot and humid in Illinois, and second I in fact did wear it while riding from Illinois to North Carolina in July when temps were over 100 degrees.

I'm a retired fireman, you don't know hot. ;)   
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Son of Pappy

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 05:39:51 pm »
'Stitch year round.  I wanna say 114 in Death Valley a few years ago, vents open and evapo vest.  Fact of the matter, long rides in hot environments a mesh jacket will leave you dehydrated quicker than a 'Stitch, perspiration is evaporated much quicker.  Once your body runs out of juice your "Toast".
Ever wonder why GIs in action have their sleeves down?  Science.  Rapid vs controlled evaporation.  FWIW, I have never heard someone complain of having too much on when they have an off, but plenty who wished they had more :o

Offline pistole

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 09:57:30 pm »
FWIW, I have never heard someone complain of having too much on when they have an off, but plenty who wished they had more

- har har !

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 07:25:41 pm »
'Stitch year round.  I wanna say 114 in Death Valley a few years ago, vents open and evapo vest.  Fact of the matter, long rides in hot environments a mesh jacket will leave you dehydrated quicker than a 'Stitch, perspiration is evaporated much quicker.  Once your body runs out of juice your "Toast".
Ever wonder why GIs in action have their sleeves down?  Science.  Rapid vs controlled evaporation.  FWIW, I have never heard someone complain of having too much on when they have an off, but plenty who wished they had more :o

There is a big difference riding in hot dry conditions and hot humid conditions  There is very little evaporation happening in south Georgia and Alabama with the humidity of 98% and heat indexes of 115.
My Concours Travels:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 07:37:23 pm »
Sounds like home.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 08:12:19 pm »
There is a big difference riding in hot dry conditions and hot humid conditions  There is very little evaporation happening in south Georgia and Alabama with the humidity of 98% and heat indexes of 115.
Spent 3 years in Savannah, GA at Hunter Army Airfield-Ocean on one side swamp on the rest.  BTDT, I'd still be wearing the stitch.  3 years in MD as well.  No change.  Hot is hot.  I will choose sweat over blood all day long, all I need to do is stay hydrated.  The beauty of high humidity and a moving motorcycle?  You still have gas in the tank ;D