Author Topic: For Sale / Thinking selling off parts.  (Read 1753 times)

Offline sgilbert14

For Sale / Thinking selling off parts.
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:36:33 AM »
My 92 has at about the end of my want of a bike. I have put $1500+ in parts and acc in this thing since December and have only had a chance to ride 3 times this season and twice I had to trailer it home. Once for a broken coolant clamp and the other time because my 4th carb is overflowing. I inspected the tank and all after I sent my carbs to Steve to have done and somehow and some place it had rust and now I cannot get the 4th card to stop with the overflow stream. Even a small bottle and gravity will do it. My list of extras include: may be sending these back to Steve this week. This is being fix and will be done by the end of the week.

Spark plug wires and NGK caps, Acc. outlet, Sears AGM Die Hard Battery ,GIVI windshield, NOS Seat, new BT-45 tires, front brakes, rebuilt carbs, Murph grips all with less than 200 miles on them. Other work done: New fork and rear shock oil, cut the front stings to stiffen the suspension, fresh oil change, new front Headlight bulb, Valve Adjustment, replaced the cam chain adjuster, Other extra: Givi trunk, mount, 6" running/brake light, tank bra, Murphs Bar Ends, Bar Raiser, CeeBaily's 24" Windshield, Front & Back Tip Over Bars, PIAA Fog Lights and mounts, Antler covers,++

I have over $2000 in the thing this past year and may just get ride of it hole or in parts. Shame as it has 33K on it but I am only giving it one more go. What should I ask if I let go whole?

Offline redzgrider

Re: For Sale / Thinking selling off parts.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »
I find bike prices are highly dependent on location. For a good estimate of bike value, Ebay completed sales is a good reference. Kelly will give you a value, but I find them unrealistically high for my central Florida location. Ebay completed sales tells the truth -- depressing as that may be.
If you decide to sell, pull any parts for which you still have the original parts. Most buyers have zero clue as to the value of added goodies -- kind of like all the chrome on a Harley. Sure it's shiny, but is it the shiny I would have chosen?

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:47:18 AM »
OK, thanks for the reply. I have it up for sales locally now both as a compete bike and as a "build you bike" shop list for extras. Steve offered to have me send the carbs back but I think it just picked up something from bad gas on the seat on #4 so I just my local dealer look at (they are there now). If the bike sells I will work on paying off as many debts that I can and then this winter look for another bike. My top choices are: Concours 14, BMW 1100RT Like the BMW with the radio, cruise etc but I do hope for fuel injections and ABS

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »
Try the FJR too!

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 06:26:46 PM »
I can understand your frustration and just wanting to be done with it. The bike is 22  years old, stuff is gonna break if not preemptively replaced. It sounds like you did a lot of stuff already.

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
Got the carbs back. Wasn't rust or anything they said that there was a piece of fabric of some kind on the needle so it never shut off and then the float must have dropped. All fix, another $68 and the bike is on the side of the road. I have it for $1900 without all the extras and $3000 as it sits.

I am looking more into a full dresser or vStrom.... I  sat on a one of the Yamaha full dresser and it felt so comfy... Maybe next year.