Author Topic: passenger peg lowering kit...what one?  (Read 14521 times)

Offline Dade22

passenger peg lowering kit...what one?
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:40:37 PM »
Need to get a passenger peg lowering kit.

Motorcycle Larry or projekt D?  Which one is better?

Dade22
"To punish and enslave..."

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Re: passenger peg lowering kit...what one?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »
A few months ago I was planning on buying MCL passenger lowering brackets for my 2008 C14,

but due to concerns about the stability of MCL shipments,   ????? (I have not heard if MCL is back to speed?) ?????

I bought the projekt D lowering arm.

The Projekt D looks great and installs easy. No idea is MCL product is better, but Projekt D delivered fast and this item is of high quality.
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:00:56 AM »
I bought a used pair from someone. The look like Projektd ones. Installation is easy. I did find though that occasionally I would hit my wife's boot when I am walking the bike - like backing up and stuff.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 10:19:44 AM »
There is a third alternative: http://vixfix.com/GTR.htm
The guy who makes these pegs owns a 2010 C14, so you know they will fit well.  I am pleased with the passenger pegs from vixfix.

Projekt D has good service and good products, but shipping is a bit pricey since they are based in Asia.

I no longer do business with MCL, for reasons that I won't bore you with other than to say customer service is awful (as documented by many posters before the website crash).
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 03:01:52 PM »
I'll put a plug in for vixfix:  http://vixfix.com/GTR.htm

I installed these and the wife really likes the much larger than stock peg. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 07:55:03 PM »
Can the FJR pegs be used with the Projekt D lowerers?

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:01:13 PM »
Here is another alternative and my take:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1944.msg21532#msg21532

Offline Damn Potholes

• AdvancedSportTouring.com
    • Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »
I bought the MCL setup for my 2011 but the exhaust side required quite a bit of modification to work.  I had to take off a large section of material so it would fit over the muffler without hitting.  I called to let them know but they didn't really seem to care.  Oh well, I tried.
My parts are forged with voodoo curses and unicorn tears.

Offline ridingfar

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »
I put on a set of OEM Buell pegs that lower my foot 1 1/4 inches.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
I put on a set of OEM Buell pegs that lower my foot 1 1/4 inches.
Are you using the passenger pegs when you ride?   ;D   ;)  (see post title)
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »
I bought the MCL setup for my 2011 but the exhaust side required quite a bit of modification to work.  I had to take off a large section of material so it would fit over the muffler without hitting.  I called to let them know but they didn't really seem to care.  Oh well, I tried.

did they change the exhaust that much from earlier models. I got the MCL's and they went on in 5 minutes on my 09 C14

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 02:40:43 PM »
You guys with the http://vixfix.com/GTR.htm versions, do you have any decent pictures? I can't stand the ones the guy has on his site. He should hire 556ALPHA to take the images as his on the thread about the MFW Vario Passenger Pegs are really nice, clear pictures.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
I use ProjektD on my 2008 Connie. Strong, clean, easy to install, black and use the stock pegs. Wife likes them and no interference with bike or passenger. Lowered rear pegs do some times get in the way more that stock.

Vixfix looks nice but decided I liked the OEM peg look better.

I did a survey (poll) on the pre crash site and the voting suggested MCL was the most used vendor, ProjektD next and I was going to buy MCL, but the issues with MCL delivery / health came up at purchase time made me rethink MCL .... and that is the rest of the story .....

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »
Just ordered the Projekt D kit.  I was going to get the Vario pegs, but figured this would get what I needed and it looks better than the VixFix in my mind.
Scott

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »
Can you measure the actual distance the Projekt D brackets move the peg?  Also, are there any rubber pegs that fit and don't look lie they belong on a harley?  The solid aluminum pegs transfer too much heat and vibration to my passenger's feet.

Offline Damn Potholes

• Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »
did they change the exhaust that much from earlier models. I got the MCL's and they went on in 5 minutes on my 09 C14

The plastic flange is down lower and is located directly below the peg whereas with the previous models it was above the peg.  I'll put up a pic when I get home.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »
Can you measure the actual distance the Projekt D brackets move the peg?  Also, are there any rubber pegs that fit and don't look lie they belong on a harley?  The solid aluminum pegs transfer too much heat and vibration to my passenger's feet.

The rear FJR pegs shud work

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »
The plastic flange is down lower and is located directly below the peg whereas with the previous models it was above the peg.  I'll put up a pic when I get home.

That flange is actually metal and SLIGHTLY touched the lowest portion of the ProjektD pegs when I had them.  My plan was to hammer slightly on the flange and powder coat them but the Vario's solved the issue.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »
To be clear, I think I understand from reading the stream of posts that the 2008 and 2009 have different rear peg clearance than the 2010 2011 and both MCL and ProjecktD have clearance issues with the 2010 2011 but not the 2008 and 2009?

Or did I miss something?

Offline Damn Potholes

• Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »
To be clear, I think I understand from reading the stream of posts that the 2008 and 2009 have different rear peg clearance than the 2010 2011 and both MCL and ProjecktD have clearance issues with the 2010 2011 but not the 2008 and 2009?

Or did I miss something?

The top picture is the MCL lowering links on a 2008-2009, the rest of the pictures are on my 2011.  You can see that there is much more clearance on the early years whereas the newer has less room because of the muffler extension.  I had to file down the corner of the bracket so that it would fit on the bike and file it some more so that when weight from the passenger is applied to it that it doesn't come in contact with the muffler.  I also had to pin the bracket  on each side so that it didn't vibrate and move around.  No matter how much I tightened it, it wouldn't get tight enough to not move around so I drilled a small hole and tapped it.  Most people wouldn't even notice.