Author Topic: need a new horn  (Read 15700 times)

Offline PH14

Re: need a new horn
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 08:34:25 am »

Yeah those are good horns, still like the no relay option for me though. ANYTHING is going to be better than the beep beep horn.  ::)

I understand the desire for an easy plug in solution. As long as the horn is loud enough it's all good. Thankfully Murph sells the wiring kit with a relay so it is all plug and play. I made more work for myself because the wiring kit Murph sells wasn't long enough to allow me to mount the relay where I wanted, so I simply added wire. I'm happy with the results though. At speed with ear plugs in, I couldn't hear the stock horns at all. I can hear these with ear plugs in, at speed next to a truck while listening to music, sort of like you're supposed to.  ;D

Offline pistole

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 10:13:13 am »

- as per some of the kind advice above , I installed this horn last night. Took me all of like 10 minutes to get the original horn out and mount this in its place.

- doesn't need a relay and can run off the stock wiring.

- much louder that the Peep-Peep original horn. Authoritative Baaarrpp tone.

- something for the guys here to consider , if you're not into cutting into the bike and incurring all the trouble for an air-horn install.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 11:18:57 am »

- as per some of the kind advice above , I installed this horn last night. Took me all of like 10 minutes to get the original horn out and mount this in its place.

- doesn't need a relay and can run off the stock wiring.

- much louder that the Peep-Peep original horn. Authoritative Baaarrpp tone.

- something for the guys here to consider , if you're not into cutting into the bike and incurring all the trouble for an air-horn install.

I might just add one of these in place of my original horn AND keep the air horn I got from Murph. Can never be too loud.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline pistole

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 05:47:15 pm »
- that PIAA horn doesn't like water. Don't get any into its throat. Reduces the sound to a squak

- mount it throat down with the guard in place.

Offline Stavee

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 02:15:20 pm »
K5LA Locomotive Horn
First bike '38 DKW

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 10:02:57 am »
- that PIAA horn doesn't like water. Don't get any into its throat. Reduces the sound to a squak

- mount it throat down with the guard in place.

You should always mount horns throat down.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 07:05:56 am »
i need to get on this, im such a procrastinator

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 03:56:45 am »
I'm with PH14. Get Murphs HF80s and the wiring harness.
Easiest to fit, plenty loud enough and no risk of s****ing yourself when you hit it by accident.  ;D
I fitted mine 3 years 25,000 miles back and never regretted it.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2014, 08:16:45 am »
just ordered the PIAA 76500, decided the easy install and stil getting a increased performance was the best for me. Plus, (i know some of you will look down on me for this) when i trailer my Connie i like to remove the horn and the plastic plate there between the forks tube to be able to loop my tie downs on the bottom of the tree. So i didnt want any extra bulk there to have to contend with. Im going to install my horn, new screen and touring pegs all at the same time maybe a weekend or two from now.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2014, 10:25:24 am »
just ordered the PIAA 76500, decided the easy install and stil getting a increased performance was the best for me. Plus, (i know some of you will look down on me for this) when i trailer my Connie i like to remove the horn and the plastic plate there between the forks tube to be able to loop my tie downs on the bottom of the tree. So i didnt want any extra bulk there to have to contend with. Im going to install my horn, new screen and touring pegs all at the same time maybe a weekend or two from now.
If you live up to your handle not too many are going to look down on you.  ;)
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline viper

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 02:21:00 pm »
I fitted a car set of air horns, I did the steblis naut before these and these are mucho louder,

plenty of space under the fairing

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2014, 05:55:02 pm »
Stebel Nautilus.  No perfect mounting scheme, but LOUD, compact, reliable, reasonably priced.  I used that wonderful harness and modified it so I run the stock electric horn WITH the Nautilus through the relay.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=286.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3104.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2014, 01:12:06 pm »
If you live up to your handle not too many are going to look down on you.  ;)

He is a pretty good sized fella, fortunately a gentle giant.  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline PH14

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2014, 01:38:14 pm »
I say go with this one.  :finger_fing11:

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2014, 03:33:19 am »
The silver bitch sounds like a dying duck so I want to replace the horn. And I'm not putting another oem squak box on it. When I had my TL I put a VW horn on it, it sounded okay but I want to hear options and opinions...go

Pictured below is the air horn I purchased more than four years ago and am always pleased with its output.  I don't use it often but when I do use a horn I want to be heard.  With this one I am heard by everyone.  It mounts easily behind the radiator on the left side of the bike and is connected to a relay that is fed by a direct lead to the battery and the relay is triggered by the stock horn wiring.  A very simple and easily fabricated bracket holds it in place.

Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.