Author Topic: Superhawk  (Read 8393 times)

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
Superhawk
« on: June 07, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »
Let's just get this out of the way.   I love my C14.   It is much more of what I am looking for these days...BUT....just took the 1998 Honda Superhawk out today for the only the second time since I have owned my 2011 C14 and damn that thing is fun.   Such different bikes but so glad the wife convinced me not to sell it (ya, can you imagine that, she actually said she would be MAD if I SOLD IT!!!!).   Not sure what she is buttering me up for, but I wasn't going to argue.  The V-twin sport bike is so responsive and just a torque monster.   So odd going from the big heavy C14 to the light and nimble Superhawk. 

So, instead of creating a poll, why don't people just reply with either what bike other than their Concours has been the most fun to ride or what bike they just wish they never would have gotten rid of.

I for one am not prejudice against any kind of bike and just enjoy riding.   I think all bikes have their special features that make them unique.

Happy Riding.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Superhawk
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 06:44:39 PM »
C10 and now a Ninja EX250
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Lonerider

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:21:17 PM »
I had a 2003 Superhawk that was stolen. Missed it so much I wanted to have another, but went with the Suzuki SV instead because it is fuel injected. And I agree they are a very different ride, very light and nimble. the SV gets ridden when the weather is nice and I am out for less than a day. Everything else its the Connie.
2009 ZG1400 Concours, 2003 SV1000, 1985 XV1000 Virago

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »
I had a 2003 Superhawk that was stolen. Missed it so much I wanted to have another, but went with the Suzuki SV instead because it is fuel injected. And I agree they are a very different ride, very light and nimble. the SV gets ridden when the weather is nice and I am out for less than a day. Everything else its the Connie.

Man, sorry to hear about the stolen bike.   Tough to swallow no matter what bike it is.   Did they ever catch who did it?   

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »
98 Superhawk

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 09:16:41 PM »
I ride my girls ninja 250 when shes not around.  Dont tell her, becuase its lowered and I feel like im on a mini bike, but MAN that thing is fun around here in east TN.  id love to have one to myself.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:30:05 PM »
i pretty much climbed the ladder when it comes to motorcycling:

1. started with a honda express when i was about 13. used it to ride to all of the summer jobs i had for the next couple of years.

2. toyed around with my father's kawasaki 454 ltd. nothing real special but a few trips around the block, etc.

3. in '90 while at ftcky, bought my first bike- a kawasaki ninja 250! had a friend of mine on the back on a fast run to nashville with the speedo pegged at 115! my first real road trip on it was to cleveland, oh, and was rewarded with a crash at ft knox (visiting a cousin), and getting hit with two really bad storms, complete with hail. also lost my riding gloves at king's island on that trip and the only thing i was able to find at that hour were some gardening gloves! the bike was totalled at 7500 miles exactly when a stupid newbie private came right across me- sending the bike and me airborne and flipping over the car! as a side note, my magnetic tank bag never came off! the new ones look real hot, much better than the one i had.

4. ten days later, bought a '91 zx-6. about a year later me and it were in italy for three years. great times! however, my last night in country, i decided to take it out one last time to test out some extreme cold weather riding gear i bought. it was december, towards midnight, with snow and some light ice on the road. yeah that was smart! going around the second of two traffic circles and lost the front. the bike slid across the road and down a ditch and into about 5 feet of water. it took a wrecker quite a bit of time pulling it out. the next day, the movers came and got it to ship it back to the states (which they were SUPPOSED to do the day before but they didn't have room on the truck for it). the bike never ran right again and i sold it for parts. it had almost 30K miles on it. i raced it in several clubs and did pretty good despite it had almost all of it's street gear on!

4a. while in italy, i bought another guy's xr-125 (?) while waiting for my '91 zx-6 to get to port. single cylinder, 125cc, about 70mph, handgrips about 5' apart...one of most fun bikes i've owned. had to get rid of it because we were restricted on the number of vehicles we could have.

5. while back at ftcky after returning from italy, i bought two '95 zx-7s. one was totalled while on a ride and the other stolen while parked outside my barracks. i'm pretty sure one of the guys i rode with who was getting out snagged it, the sob. i was prepping this one to compete in 750ss and had a lot of mods on it.

6. after several years sans bike, i bought a '78 kawasaki 750...can't remember it's designation. rode it through all sorts of weather- snow, ice, rain, heat, and it just plain worked. even when the clutch cable snapped i was able to ride it by basically getting really creative at lights and intersections! traded it in on a fiero. not sure if i got a good deal on that or not, since the car died about a year later.

7. '95...zx-10r. they were on clearence (being sold for less than a zx-6r). horrible range (about 120 miles), rear tire gave out after < 1.5K miles (and almost all upright riding- ain't no twisties in MS). kawasaki refused to accept i had a defective tire. great power and looks, but totally unusable for carrying things (no (real) bungee hooks, my tank bag was always in the way). traded it for the C14.

8. '08, the C14. it's ok. i've had better, more fun rides. i've farkled the doo-doo out of it and still not happy. personally, i think it's taken the enjoyment of riding back a notch or two. it's for sale, BTW. it doesn't matter now, as knee surgery is coming up and riding is more a pain than anything. we'll see what, if anything, i'll be on next year.

so, of all the bikes, the zx-7's were my absolute favorites! i even met scott russell at muguello, italy, during a WSK round (and he signed my SR replica helmet)! even with its porky weight and anemic hp (about 500lbs and 115hp), i would consider buying one.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

YoDoc

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:39:52 PM »
07 Sportster 1200C

Had to lose the payment. I bought this as a present to myself after my first deployment. I sold it as a present to my wife when we found out we were having kid #2, LOL...

This is the bike I did the BRP on, as well as a couple of balls to the wall 500 - 700 mile interstate runs. Most of it with a half-helmet and no windshield. For a while I did have some old 1970's HD leather bags on it, but mostly just strapped crap to it. I once hauled 30lbs of firewood 3 miles from the "store" to the camp site on the BRP trip. Of course, this is also the bike I was on when I hit the HOV lane wall...

If you want to see pics of that... check the Arena. I'll see if I can post them there.

Offline Lonerider

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 03:50:59 AM »
Man, sorry to hear about the stolen bike.   Tough to swallow no matter what bike it is.   Did they ever catch who did it?

Ya they busted someone with it, no telling if he was the guy who stole it. He was charged with possession of stolen property, don't know what became of it.
I went and looked at the bike after but it had been wrecked and insurance had already paid out so I opted to let it go.
2009 ZG1400 Concours, 2003 SV1000, 1985 XV1000 Virago

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
I still regret having to trade in my '08 FZ6 to get the Connie this spring.  It was such a nimble little bike it was great for commuting and short trips.  For the whole $3k I got for it, I should have kept it for my in town runner but the wife said only 1 bike at a time  >:(

There is a saying its more fun to drive a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow and I have to say it holds true.  Before my FZ6 I had an '06 R1 that would do over 100mph in 1st gear.  Crazy speed but unless I was going over 50 I was never in a good smooth gear ratio.  I really enjoyed using all six gears on the FZ6 everywhere I went.  I also had a '02 CBR 600 F4i that was OK but nothing special and before that I had a '01 Bandit 600 that was so damn cold blooded it needed to warm up for at least 5 minutes before going anywhere - I don't miss that at all!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »
My other bike is a C10 that I'm trying to sell. A guy I work with has a 2000 Superhawk with damaged plastics for a good price that I am really thinking about pulling the trigger on.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 03:56:06 AM »
Wee strom. A friend needed his bike ridden. Fantastic bike. With Givi, the better bike in every category for me.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 06:14:24 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that I like motorcycles.  One of the best things about a motorcycle is that it is "yours" and you can ride it and create memories.

I was working on a friend's V-Star 1100 Classic and rode it around some.  Not my style at all, but it was still a lot of fun.  Over the years, I've owned and/or borrowed singles, twins (parallel & V), triples, fours (inline, V, HO), and a six.  Enjoyed them all.  The big sporting V-twin has seemed to fall out of favor, but I loved my SV650, and love my SV1000.  In fact, if I don't need the storage space, it is currently being ridden more that the C14.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.