Author Topic: White smoke coming out from underneath of the front fairing and handlebar space  (Read 16267 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Uh Jim, we can all see the red cross.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Yep, I have two shields don't I, but I am talking about the MC shield... ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.

Hello sir,

I would like to get the Oring, how can I get one from you?

Honza

follow these simple instructions...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13866.msg170699#msg170699

1) send me a p/m with your name, address, and phone number.
2) I will return the p/m with the mailing address
3) send me $1 and a self addressed stamped envelope
4) I send you 2 O-rings in your envelope...

easy.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
I brought my bike in yesterday for the front brakes (warranty) and the leaking that caused me to also get white smoke. I figured it was the cam sensor o-rings like has been mentioned but they told me that both sides of the valve cover gasket were leaking (18k miles on the bike). I had not brought it in for the 15k service in which they check the valve clearances and replace the gasket so they were not going to cover that gasket since Kawi considers it to be"serviceable". So, instead of a smaller bill, I am getting a bigger bill for the 15k service. They are discounting the service and parts 10% and total bill will be just over $700 instead of just shy of $900 (I supplied a K&N air filter instead of having them put a standard one in). They said they were going to take pictures of everything (I assume they do that any time they have warranty issues).

In talking with MAN OF BLUES, he thinks that the valve cover gasket should not leak since it had never been removed (I agree with that) and that Kawi should cover it. What do you guys think? I will go get it in about 3 hours.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
They are full of  :censored: in a major way...  It should be covered.  This is the dealer talking, not Kwak Central. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
They are full of  :censored: in a major way...  It should be covered.  This is the dealer talking, not Kwak Central. 

So, now what? I told them to do the 15k service based on their recommendation. Should I fight the cost of part of the work? Or should I have done the 15k service when I got to 15k and this would be a mute point?

I have had other bikes in the past and never done any major work on them like this even though I rode them to 30k miles and then sold them. Just replace the chain when needed, oil changes and such.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Fighting it with the dealer won't help as they're the issue.  It's up to you on what to do but I'd find another dealer in your area if you can.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Dare we suggest to call Mark?

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Well, it's a done deal this time around. $773 out of pocket.   :-\

I asked about shims and such for the valve adjustments and they said everything was within spec so they didn't do anything other than check them. I will check around at other dealers next time.

The service guy told me they would take pictures to show where the oil leak was coming from but the tech did all the work before the service guy even got into work this morning so it was all cleaned up with no pictures. From the original quote, that is about $140 cheaper than what they normally charge for the 15k service.

Oh, and they did replace the spark plugs since Kawi recommends that and i know many on here say the plugs are good for 100000 miles. They charged $16 per plug.
Scott

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Well, it's a done deal this time around. $773 out of pocket.   :-\

I asked about shims and such for the valve adjustments and they said everything was within spec so they didn't do anything other than check them. I will check around at other dealers next time.

The service guy told me they would take pictures to show where the oil leak was coming from but the tech did all the work before the service guy even got into work this morning so it was all cleaned up with no pictures. From the original quote, that is about $140 cheaper than what they normally charge for the 15k service.

Oh, and they did replace the spark plugs since Kawi recommends that and i know many on here say the plugs are good for 100000 miles. They charged $16 per plug.

Did they give you the plugs they removed, @ $16 a piece?
I'd be wanting those for sure, as they were fine, and could be re-used.... I don't believe any of us here that have done them found them even close to needing replacement.
I also noted when we chatted in p/m mode, that they needed to record the actual clearances for each valve, so YOU could decide when the next inspection interval would be needed.... they completely snowed you as many dealerships have done. Not acceptable in any manner, if they didn't write down each clearance.

I'd be willing to bet they never replaced the gasket either, as the time frame your service actually underwent was not sufficient to get a replacement gasket in for install, I say the removed it, cleaned it, and re-installed it using sealants.... likely never even checked the cam clearances...
A lot of us here know actually how long it takes to do this service, and to get the parts in hand for it (no dealership will have that gasket on the shelf...)

as for them not agreeing to install the o-rings I sent you, because they weren't OEM... they had a lot of nerve installing a K&N filter.... ::) ::)

and they also completed your front brake issue? and had parts?, all within one working day..?? ::)..

I'm calling B/S on thier part (not on you, on them, you are innocent  ;) ...).

I really hate slimey dealerships.  >:(

Glad I had a good one in Richmond, and another good one here in Ohio.
Not that I'd have them do periodic maintenece, but when I need warrenty work, they came thru with flying colors.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Did they give you the plugs they removed, @ $16 a piece?
I'd be wanting those for sure, as they were fine, and could be re-used.... I don't believe any of us here that have done them found them even close to needing replacement.
I also noted when we chatted in p/m mode, that they needed to record the actual clearances for each valve, so YOU could decide when the next inspection interval would be needed.... they completely snowed you as many dealerships have done. Not acceptable in any manner, if they didn't write down each clearance.

I'd be willing to bet they never replaced the gasket either, as the time frame your service actually underwent was not sufficient to get a replacement gasket in for install, I say the removed it, cleaned it, and re-installed it using sealants.... likely never even checked the cam clearances...
A lot of us here know actually how long it takes to do this service, and to get the parts in hand for it (no dealership will have that gasket on the shelf...)

as for them not agreeing to install the o-rings I sent you, because they weren't OEM... they had a lot of nerve installing a K&N filter.... ::) ::)

and they also completed your front brake issue? and had parts?, all within one working day..?? ::)..

I'm calling B/S on thier part (not on you, on them, you are innocent  ;) ...).

I really hate slimey dealerships.  >:(

Glad I had a good one in Richmond, and another good one here in Ohio.
Not that I'd have them do periodic maintenece, but when I need warrenty work, they came thru with flying colors.

I agree that I should have received the old spark plugs, I never even thought to ask. And they simply said that all clearances were within spec. They were going off what Kawi says to do even if it doesn't need to be done. Not something I fully agree with, but they followed the recommendations.

As for the gasket, the service guy told me that had a single one in stock that they could use (there are quite a few other Concours' out in this area, so maybe they have them in stock?).

The brake issue, they got the O.K. from Kawasaki about 3 weeks ago and the parts came in about a week ago.

As for having the time to do all of this, they started working on it as soon as I left the dealer (4pm) and had access to the valve cover by 5:45 when he called to say that was where it was leaking. The shop tech's then get in at 8am and the service department doesn't open until 10am which is why no pictures.

I don't fully agree with how they handled it, but it wasn't as bad as you think it was. Could it be done better, you bet your ass it could be. Will they change how they work based on a single customer, never.
Scott

Offline seagiant

Hi,
     What bugs me is,as I listen or read posts on the valve inspections it seems that if the dealership does it at 15,000 the clearance is always good but if the owner does it,he's always replacing 8 or 9 shims????

I just got my new service manual ($85) and I'm getting Freds videos and going to see what I can do! I keep my old pick up running, why not!

Offline lonekazoo

Did the O-Ring replacement today.  Ended up taking 5 or 6 hours, as I also cleaned things up quite a bit, drained and replaced the coolant, added an SAE battery cable, etc.  If you need to replace your coolant, this is an excellent time to do it--the radiator is much easier to handle when empty...

There was quite a bit of oil all over the front of the heads, top to bottom.  With that amount of oil everywhere, I'm concerned that it may also suffer from a leaky head gasket, but I couldn't easily tell, and had to get things buttoned up for a ride tomorrow.  You can see where I cleaned things up a bit before removing the sensor.

By the way, the exhaust bolts were all very loose.  Tightened them all to 13 ft/lbs.  That may be contributing to the mess as well.

Thanks to Man of Blues for the O-rings!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Loose exhaust nuts have nothing to do with the oil issue.  You may have a leaking valve cover gasket.  Did you rule that out?

Offline lonekazoo

Loose exhaust nuts have nothing to do with the oil issue.  You may have a leaking valve cover gasket.  Did you rule that out?

No, didn't rule it out.  I think it's likely, due to the amount of oil.  I doubt it all came out of the sensor.  Another winter project.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
No, didn't rule it out.  I think it's likely, due to the amount of oil.  I doubt it all came out of the sensor.  Another winter project.

Oil leaks are hard to pinpoint more often than not, oil has a way of moving and spreading around to fool you where it is coming from.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey