Author Topic: Throttle Tamer, didn't know what I was missing  (Read 44531 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Throttle Tamer, didn't know what I was missing
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2014, 03:51:39 AM »
No they dont have that function but I dont think its needed with those cams.

really?  :o  you don't feel that off/on jerkiness with those cams? why?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 08:09:57 AM »
really?  :o  you don't feel that off/on jerkiness with those cams? why?

It's like it's just on now. The shorter rotation means more throttle than the same position as before. It's more aggressive feeling and it's just GO! Maybe somebody else can describe it better.

A lot of the jerkiness went away when I had it dyno tuned.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2014, 05:09:59 AM »
The 025 cam works but might be too aggressive for me. I'll throw on the 050 tonight and take a little ride.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2014, 10:37:46 AM »
Replaced the 025 with the 050 and took about 5 minutes. There are 4 screws and the 6mm bolt for the bar end. The last two pictures are throttle closed and wide open.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2014, 10:39:29 AM »
more pics
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2014, 10:40:11 AM »
even more
Colorado
2013 Blue

omcrider

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »
I don't understand so many people feeling the throttle is jerky as decribed. My biggest issue from first riding this bike (as I only have a few hundred miles so far on this one) was the clutch release came on very late and a bit abrupt and jumping from one bike to another kind of highlighted this point. However the more I get used to riding the Connie the more I have become familar with the clutch and now I have adjusted my technique and it seems to pull smoothly with no jerkiness, hesitation, or jumping off the line.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »
Most of the 'jerkiness is is fixed by properly adjusting the throttle cables. The Tamer is the icing on the cake for me.

omcrider

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »
Well my bike does have some miles on it (30K) so possibly if it ever had that issue might have been addressed by previous owner.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2014, 05:49:06 PM »
I don't understand so many people feeling the throttle is jerky as decribed. My biggest issue from first riding this bike (as I only have a few hundred miles so far on this one) was the clutch release came on very late and a bit abrupt and jumping from one bike to another kind of highlighted this point. However the more I get used to riding the Connie the more I have become familar with the clutch and now I have adjusted my technique and it seems to pull smoothly with no jerkiness, hesitation, or jumping off the line.

I have adjusted my cables and it has been three years and I still don't like the throttle.  No problem at all with the clutch.

I think the stock throttle comes on too "much/hot and fast", making it very difficult to control this powerful and heavy bike at very low speeds when I need fine throttle control.   Especially true in contrast to any other bike I have ridden.  I have gotten more used to it, but never fully OK with it.  I bought a Throttle Tamer several months ago and I am STILL waiting for the correct opportunity to install it...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:21:12 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2014, 04:50:05 AM »

Well my bike does have some miles on it (30K) so possibly if it ever had that issue might have been addressed by previous owner.

So you bought your bike used and have no problems with throttle snatch? Are you sure that the previous owner didn't install a Throttle Tamer?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2014, 08:40:48 AM »
I did not know this was something that I needed, but after reading some reviews and all of the your comments here I had to go ahead and order one up.
Like I said, I did not know this was something I needed, but after all the raving about it I went ahead and spent the $65.

I'm not impressed, I can't tell any difference. My advice, unless you are having a problem with your throttle save your money.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2014, 04:22:49 AM »
Like I said, I did not know this was something I needed, but after all the raving about it I went ahead and spent the $65.

I'm not impressed, I can't tell any difference. My advice, unless you are having a problem with your throttle save your money.

agreed. If it ain't broken, don't touch it. Unfortunately, that off/on transition drives me mad...  :-\

there's nothing wrong with off-the-line nor the clutch in my bike. Drive 50 mph on a straight road, 5th gear, steady. Close and open the gas, nothing crazy but quick. Bike will "cough". Not seen on other (properly done) FI bikes.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2014, 04:57:22 AM »

I did notice a difference in my bike and it was money very well spent for me.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2014, 10:22:48 PM »
I bought a Throttle Tamer several months ago and I am STILL waiting for the correct opportunity to install it...

Hell must have frozen over.... I have it installed!  My friend did most of the work (he is a mechanic)... the Grip Puppy was hard to get off.  The stock grip was not terribly easy, we used the air compressor method and a screwdriver.  It is e kinda glued on.  Getting the stock grip back on was a lot harder than getting it off, since the Tamer has a textured surface.  But the whole thing probably took us (mostly him) about 20 minutes, tops.

Got on and rode around the neighborhood with stops and tight turns- wow what a difference!  SO much easier to control now at low throttle/speed.  Very much worth it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2014, 10:59:37 PM »
Bike will "cough". Not seen on other (properly done) FI bikes.

I experience this "cough" at low RPM, mainly when the engine isnt fully warmed up, but sometimes when its warm too.

I honestly think my issue could be more related to TB sync... Yeah its a new bike, but people are human and make mistakes. Couldnt hurt to check...  That or theres actually an error in the fuel mapping in the ECU. (Be it for EPA purposes or just an un-fixed mistake at the factory)

What leads me to believe its a TB sync issue, is my ninja  650 did the same thing ALL the time. If you held it between 2500 and 3000 RPMs it would surge like a mofo.  I did a well documented modification to the TBs to connect them with a vacuum line to the pulse sensor (from the factory only one cylinder was connected to the pulse sensor), and that solved it. (In 2012 they did this from the factory)
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2014, 04:29:37 AM »
I wish I knew what a pulse sensor is  :-[

Offline Cuda

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2014, 05:35:48 AM »
Hell must have frozen over.... I have it installed!  My friend did most of the work (he is a mechanic)... the Grip Puppy was hard to get off.  The stock grip was not terribly easy, we used the air compressor method and a screwdriver.  It is e kinda glued on.  Getting the stock grip back on was a lot harder than getting it off, since the Tamer has a textured surface.  But the whole thing probably took us (mostly him) about 20 minutes, tops.

Got on and rode around the neighborhood with stops and tight turns- wow what a difference!  SO much easier to control now at low throttle/speed.  Very much worth it.

When putting rubber grip back on spray hair spray or corm starch for lube.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2014, 07:13:10 AM »

Hopefully won't be doing THAT again for a very long time, if ever!

One thing I forgot to mention, the throttle action feels much smoother now, too.  I can only attribute that to the higher quality throttle tube instead of that OEM plastic one.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2014, 07:22:37 AM »

I used the air from my compressor and it worked like a charm.

Corn starch?