Author Topic: Guhl's flash on Lee's brand new C14  (Read 31992 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Guhl's flash on Lee's brand new C14
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:27:27 PM »
Wow at the torque curve increase....   its tempting me to send mine in

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Guhl's flash on Lee's brand new C14
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »
This forum shrinks pics.... clickie this--->    http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/smokinzx14/guhlflashc14.jpg
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:48:34 AM »
info on the bike?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:45:44 AM »
Who is Lee?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 05:04:46 AM »
Dyno chart says 2010. Are there still leftovers?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »
I am very happy with my reflash. Service at Guhl is amazing. He called me 2 minutes after receiving my ECU. Reflashed it while on the phone with me. A few minutes later the return shipping label was created.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:10:53 PM »
I am very happy with my reflash. Service at Guhl is amazing. He called me 2 minutes after receiving my ECU. Reflashed it while on the phone with me. A few minutes later the return shipping label was created.

Yeah, it is yet another thing on my to-do list.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 03:37:33 AM »
Yeah, it is yet another thing on my to-do list.

Same here.....
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 07:55:18 AM »
Has anyone seen a comparison between a reflash and the same bike with the flys removed?

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »

A few hundred for 2 minutes of work....sounds like quiet an operation.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »

It's software. Your paying for the development and expertise, not the time it takes to install the software. I bet his market is less than 100 re-flashes on the C14 and he is not becoming a millionaire on our bikes. I also bet if it weren't for the similarity of the ZX14 ECU a reflash would never have been developed for the C14. So I still think it was money well spent to get the performance of a fly-ectomy without compromising the traction control.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
Would the reflash help with that "dead" feeling you get when you wind up fifth gear and switch to sixth? Feels like the bike even slows down a little.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »
Would the reflash help with that "dead" feeling you get when you wind up fifth gear and switch to sixth? Feels like the bike even slows down a little.

I wouldn't think so since the increase in torque is at the low end. But "wind up fifth gear" would have to going quite a bit faster than the 155 mph speed limiter in the ECU on the gen 2 bikes. So  the reflash can remove that limiter and allow you to actually "wind up fifth gear" on gen 2 bikes.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »
Who is Guhl? Where are they at? How do we get in touch with them?
Linky?
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 12:56:53 PM »
Who is Guhl? Where are they at? How do we get in touch with them?
Linky?

Pennsylvania http://guhlmotors.com/

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »
Did we ever find out if there really is a 'Lee'?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 01:49:04 PM »

Not that I know of...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »

It is several hundred- generally a "few" just means two.

But as Rhino said, he has to recoup the many hours of initial research.

That is like saying a DVD costs $0.25 to make the physical DVD, but then neglecting the 20 million dollars it might have taken to produce the movie.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »

Apologies, I wasn't watching this thread

Lee is a local drag racer, does research for Brock, owns a ZX14 forum, owns a drag ZX14, but most importantly is a very good friend.  He also owns a motorcycle business and when i'm to busy or lazy to fool with my 5 bikes his shop does the work. Recently hi front fork job on my ZX9,  etc

He mentioned he'll have some drag strip time slips posted on the reflashed stock C14 soon

edit:  he is smokinZX14 on his forum:   http://zx1441r.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 04:33:21 PM »

Like Rhino said- it won't affect that much (or probably wouldn't be noticed there as much).  Keep in mind 6th is overdrive, it is a very tall gear that is not designed to have any power, it is for level cruising at high speed (generally over 65 MPH).  To get the C14 into the power band in 6th puts you at a very illegal speed.

The Ghul reflash primarily addresses responsiveness.  The secondary butterflies are what causes the lack of responsiveness and the flash essentially "disables" those butterflies by opening them fully, almost immediately.  It DOES increase torque across the board (especially at lower RPM).