Author Topic: Trip report: KLR to California or bust  (Read 25958 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Trip report: KLR to California or bust
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2013, 09:48:48 am »
Awesome Steve!  :hail: :chugbeer:

Offline PH14

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2013, 03:56:13 pm »
Great trip Steve! I'm jealous. I seriously want a KLR. How many miles did you do total and how did the tires do? Did you replace any along the way?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2013, 04:49:13 pm »

^ This must have been the 'or bust' part mentioned in your thread title.  ;)

That isn;t my bike but the trip was a bust for him indeed unfortunately.  Roll the Bones rally in TX had some dirtiness/deep mud/obstacles, but nothing INSANE like the whole death valley ride I was on the week before

1190ADV-R?  :)

I'm thinking the lighter side...next trip I want to go out with a 500 EXC-W or such (in the back of my Tundra truck!) and maybe stay out there working from home during the weekdays combined with vacation for some mexico and death valley time :)

Awesome Steve!  :hail: :chugbeer:

Thanks!

Great trip Steve! I'm jealous. I seriously want a KLR. How many miles did you do total and how did the tires do? Did you replace any along the way?

Thanks - The KLR was amazing 7648 miles on highways, desert sand, rock climbing/rock beds, gravel roads, and water crossings.  The rocks munched on rear tires.  I went through two rears total this trip, one I ate up in Death Valley weekend alone, (that was the rocks). We had put it on in Vegas just for DV. It was a Continental (Twinder-80 or such knarley)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline PH14

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2013, 05:15:19 pm »
Considering the Death Valley day, that is great for tires. I have always loved the KLR. I used to take one out to play all the time when I was helping at a dealership. It is a great value.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2013, 06:45:42 am »
Good times!!  Thanks for sharing Steve.  KLRs "Git er dun" for sure, but somewhere close to the surface I bet you have an eye towards an upgrade..  KLRs are bait bikes, set to hook you into the passion of dirt, gravel, and anything else you choose to ride.  As they say, misery loves company ;D

My first dual sport was a DRZ400S, then went to the '08 KLR 650, and replaced it with the '12 KLX 250.  An upgrade in off road capability for sure, but not cross country travelling.  IMO, you have to either have life long off road skills, be built like a linebacker, or be prepared to pick up an adventure touring bike a lot if you ride off road.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2013, 06:49:52 am »
Excellent write up Steve.  Thank you for making the photos small enough to be viewed on the forum instead of posting them full size which eats up my data limit and takes forever to load.  Us country folk are lucky to even have internet. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2013, 07:19:14 am »
Thanks guys, and i found another LoL

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2013, 09:39:03 am »
win   :finger_fing11:

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2013, 02:04:54 pm »
Great write-up. Brought a smile more than once and also green with envy. :goodpost:
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2013, 06:07:36 am »
Very good write up.
A little jealous over here.
Joel from Maine.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 10:24:14 am »
500 EXC-W is a great choice, check out Giant Loop for hauling things around, can't say enough good things about their products.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2013, 11:06:47 am »
500 EXC-W is a great choice, check out Giant Loop for hauling things around, can't say enough good things about their products.

It appears a 2009 EXC 530 with less than a 1000 miles is falling in my lap right........ (fingers crossed) 

I'd love to get a steal rather than a stealership steal from me  ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2013, 04:05:09 pm »
Not that you don't know this, but the suspension will rock your world after the KLR.  And power delivery???  Eagerly awaiting pics of yer new stallion ;D

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2013, 04:07:23 pm »
How does the KLR do on long highway runs? Is 100 miles one way tolerable?
Joel from Maine.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2013, 04:16:10 pm »
How does the KLR do on long highway runs? Is 100 miles one way tolerable?
Depends on the weather conditions and what tolerable is.  And of course, how often?  I wouldn't want to do what Steve did on the KLR, he earned much street cred for all the miles he piled on.  The KLR is a work horse, a bike that is a stepping stone to the land of dual sporting, lets call it a gateway bike.  It will always get you there, but leaves you wanting more.