Author Topic: Trip report: KLR to California or bust  (Read 31780 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Trip report: KLR to California or bust
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 12:09:46 AM »
Too much riding visiting and chatting with folks, owe updates!

Before leaving SC,  BBQ and a visit with my friend Jane. SC BBQ is second to none, and I eat BBQ all over North America.

We originally went east to head west, i finally headed west.

I always enjoy finding on deserted back roads an apocalyptic service station. We are now in Mississippi, the klr is amazing me.

Arrive in Philadelphia MS, visit a general store. They sell everything from animal feed to Ralph Lauren clothes to fresh meats and groceries to horse saddles to Justin boots.

Fresh slab bacon right out of the slaughterhouse

Women's Columbia brand threads

Horse and tack

Remember the theater on the movie "Mississippi Burning" the FBI set up so in?... this happens to be that old theater.

OK I arrive at cousins property and as promised she left the fare unlocked. My excuse to spending hours on her fire break trails is in looking for the perfect spot to pitch camp.  Deep down I know I'll be throwing the sleeping bag in the little cabin.

The little cabin.

Leave for another 500 mile day, head to Dallas. Of course I have to do in Monroe, Louisiana steer being tipped off about a cabin joint. Chatted with locals and ate the best seafood gumbo ever with shrimp, crab, and crawdad tails. I added the saltines.

Onward to Dallas and arrive. First stop i noticed they sell unique brand wine and wine bottle holders.

Wow TX brisket is second to none, and Cajun and brisket in the same day? Thanks klr. Now i remember last time i was in Dallas. Bonedaddy's House Of Smoke.

Made new TX friends here tonight

Then ate this HUGE fresh jalapeño, plus the sliced brisket and pulled pork. Just friggin' wow. The fried okra was all that too.

Eat here when in Dallas.

Now, is quite the challenge to haul all this camping gear into a hotel! Its just too late to figure out a campsite tonight. Tomorrow I meet the Dallas BMW group for breakfast, then head west.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »
Eat here when in Dallas.

+1

Looks like fun Steve.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
Looks like a great time. I am down in your neck of the woods. Port St Lucie for a few days and then up to Orlando to do a week of Disney with the family.
Joel from Maine.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
Very cool Steve, looks like you're having a great time!  :thumbs:

I like the "friends" you met in TX...  :P :)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
the klr is amazing me

That d*mn bike will put a smile on your face, huh?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 10:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the update. the trip looks epic. Keep the photos coming.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 01:42:23 AM »
693 miles on the klr today! 35 degrees when I arrived here on the Nm/Az border at Gallup, NM, glad i wired the bike for heated gear.I'd have done a lot more but I got a late start because I met up with the Dallas BMW Club. A guy had same jacket as me with size 34Long Gortex pants that didn't fit him. We made a deal and I was going through TX anyway. Got invited to their shindig meet and scheduled trip for it.

We looked like nerds in the same Klim jackets? That's his KTM 690. Was a great time with Joel and his crew.

Just what I needed, more cargo. No room so I just strapped the britches on.

There were a whole lot more bikes than this pic, my klr being the only Japanese type.

I rode a bit on famous rural Highway 66 in New Mexico, didn't take many pics but an old abandoned gas station from back in the day that hwy was active appeared apocalyptic, and I like zombie gas stations. This one had a wooden roof.

I been slabbing it and visiting folks. Now that I'm out west it's game on starting with dice and meeting friends in  Vegas then the real fun starts for the next few weeks, off roading/rural roading/ camping and some sport touring  miles
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 09:25:48 AM »
693 miles on the klr today! 35 degrees when I arrived here on the Nm/Az border at Gallup, NM,

I know Gallup well. I went to HS in Grants NM. Did you see signs for the "Ice Caves"? If you stop in tell them Steve, or Betsy's husband sent you.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 09:47:57 AM »
the trip looks epic. Keep the photos coming.
+1

Can't wait for June, when I can go coast to coast.  :thumbs:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 11:11:39 PM »
I know Gallup well. I went to HS in Grants NM. Did you see signs for the "Ice Caves"? If you stop in tell them Steve, or Betsy's husband sent you.

I remember those signs!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »
+1

Can't wait for June, when I can go coast to coast.  :thumbs:

Right on, its a great feeling!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 11:14:28 PM »
Left this morning Vegas bound. I was on the nm/az border and man wow it was nice at the edge of the desert. I so miss living in AZ

Long story short got to Vegas after another LONG ride. talked to the last at Starbucks, explained I need a room unlike most in this town. i need to park the bike in front to easily unload.She phoned a friend and I got a suit for 39 a night local rate, and a card waiting good for 9.95 all u can eat prime rib buffet there. Geez I owe her a favor I didn't realize how she had hooked me up with that call till I got checked in and saw it. My door is behind the bike, 1st floor as requested

Of course I jump on the buffet after a long shower

Then none of the desserts on the buffet appeal to me and I ask the sweet lady if she can help. I requested cheese cake with strawberry pie filling and fresh strawberries on top, with extra cool whip or such. Geez she fixed me a nice one!

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 01:15:30 AM »
Hey there #9334, what diet are you gonna go on when you get back? It won't happen at the Citrus County Cruise.
America's Seaplane City
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 07:34:28 AM »
Hey there #9334, what diet are you gonna go on when you get back? It won't happen at the Citrus County Cruise.

My scrawny self will need a diet, I'm looking forward to that event!

Here's the latest:
Needed a rear tire and our friend Jason is affiliated with a tire shop in Vegas. He gave me an incredible deal on a rear tire and oil change, and his mechanic threw in chain service, air filter clean, and a list of other stuff and I left a tip.

They have quite a few dirt bike tires in stock

They installed this for me

GEEZ Jason and his friend Fred turned me on to some locals food that was unreal while my bike was being serviced. Flakiest burrito I've ever had. Fortunately it was huge because I couldn't stop eating.

The tire made the bike look dirty it was so clean. Problem solved here.

Jason had me over and I met his wonderful family. Also  rode one of the his bikes, a 20 year old 1200GS BMW! So so smooth....

Night comes and as usual everyone gives the Klr  the VIP parking

I was going to take a few days break in Vegas after eating so many miles. I can't sit still so I'm heading on to Sedona, Chloride, and Jerome Az then back to Vegas the night before we go to Death Valley/Gold Point.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 07:55:32 AM »
I was going to take a few days break in Vegas after eating so many miles.

:rotflmao: I know the feeling. It's a tough job sampling all those restaurants but somebody's got to do it.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 05:07:42 PM »
I was gonna ask ya how the rear tire fared on the trip. Nice new meat looks perfect for playing.

When are you coming back through? Wifey and I will be heading to Hot Springs AR or San Antonio depending on the weather. Leaving out on 29 or 30 Oct, return about 8 or 9 Nov. If we go to Hot Springs, will be hugging the Gulf for the warmer temps and get some Cajun food for my soul.
America's Seaplane City

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
I was gonna ask ya how the rear tire fared on the trip. Nice new meat looks perfect for playing.

When are you coming back through? Wifey and I will be heading to Hot Springs AR or San Antonio depending on the weather. Leaving out on 29 or 30 Oct, return about 8 or 9 Nov. If we go to Hot Springs, will be hugging the Gulf for the warmer temps and get some Cajun food for my soul.

Steve the schinko 700 did great! I'll be heading back 29 I believe, going to see friends in Dallas. Let's play it by ear and I hope we can make planets align and meet!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »
I had planned on a few down days in Vegas after a ride across the country but Jason gave me some tips on places to see such as murals in Chloride, and a ghost town and such.

Chloride had painted rock murals that phone pics do no justice but here are a couple

This is a WTH as a front yard ornament in Chloride!? The skeletal part is real skeleton and it has a helmet on

The desert was incredible and beautiful to ride in. After all these years I still wonder why I moved from AZ

This sign lies, LIES  I tell yah lol! The unpaved road was so sweet I got the klr faster on it than I ever got it on the freeway! I suspect the locals kept it plowed smooth.

Then I ate some road miles and went to Jerome, Cottonwood, and Sedona. The mountain twisties were AMAZING. And so was the desert. Here is looking in front of the klr approaching Sedona

Ended up dark and in Flagstaff. Tomorrow Vegas again, Thursday Death Valley!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 09:51:56 PM »
Almost jealous ;)  Is the KLR meeting your expectations and better yet, is it leaving you wanting more?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 10:06:11 PM »
Almost jealous ;)  Is the KLR meeting your expectations and better yet, is it leaving you wanting more?

Thanks! The Klr is doing better than I ever expected, especially at eating road miles. With the air hawk R on the seat I can go forever on it, even want to go far like today for no radon. The stock suspension shucks in the twisties, and when loaded off road I bottom out when torturing it. But other than suspension is baffling me how much fun this bike is.

I also noticed it doesn't do well hit baking and trail breaking the front into turns in the mountains. But in all fairness to the beater klr, I have a T63 knobby on the front. So it's either the tire, then front brake system, or both.

Again overall I'm amazed with the bike. I had a back up plan to ship it home and fly if it was bad. But no way I'm riding it back. Wish I had time to ride it to the North Pole and back first =)