Author Topic: Trip report: KLR to California or bust  (Read 25265 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Trip report: KLR to California or bust
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 06:46:37 pm »
Just remember the ADV moto, "It aint an adventure until something goes wrong" ;)  Just keep "wrong" something small and simple ;D

Thanks I'll certainly try!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 09:43:31 am »
Where you be now?

Stopped in at the local BMW dealer. They had a G 650 GS Sertao. Seems expensive at $8,600 but when I look at what I had to put on my DR650, that I wouldn't have to do on this bike, not so much. I like it better than the big GS Beemers because it's still light like my DR but with the stuff I would want on my DR if I could get it. First EFI, better power better gas mileage. The 3.7 gal tank on this bike will go as far as the aftermarket 5 gal tank on my DR. Second, remote hydraulic rear pre load adjuster. Exactly what a light adv bike needs. Put your load on, crank in some more pre load and the side stand still works. Get to camp, unload, soften it up some to go exploring without the load.  Third, ABS. Turn it on for the street, turn it off for the dirt. The dealer owner wanted me to take it out for ride. I didn't because it knew it would be too tempting and after 37 years I still want to be married.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
  • Mid Flowriduh a.a.d.
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 05:42:24 pm »
Cool fire truck.

Say, don't they have a rather large Highland Games get together somewhere up in Cackacky?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
'99 Conk: 227k mi, '98 KLR650 back from Cal
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 14 year member)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 07:28:19 pm »
Hey Steve, just don't do what I did yesterday.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15383.new#new
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 12:07:42 am »
Nice! Rhino but it what are you waiting on!?

SteveJ, I really wouldn't know but let's ride up there anyway some time hehe

Twowheel hate that happened hope you heal quickly!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 12:09:46 am »
Too much riding visiting and chatting with folks, owe updates!

Before leaving SC,  BBQ and a visit with my friend Jane. SC BBQ is second to none, and I eat BBQ all over North America.

We originally went east to head west, i finally headed west.

I always enjoy finding on deserted back roads an apocalyptic service station. We are now in Mississippi, the klr is amazing me.

Arrive in Philadelphia MS, visit a general store. They sell everything from animal feed to Ralph Lauren clothes to fresh meats and groceries to horse saddles to Justin boots.

Fresh slab bacon right out of the slaughterhouse

Women's Columbia brand threads

Horse and tack

Remember the theater on the movie "Mississippi Burning" the FBI set up so in?... this happens to be that old theater.

OK I arrive at cousins property and as promised she left the fare unlocked. My excuse to spending hours on her fire break trails is in looking for the perfect spot to pitch camp.  Deep down I know I'll be throwing the sleeping bag in the little cabin.

The little cabin.

Leave for another 500 mile day, head to Dallas. Of course I have to do in Monroe, Louisiana steer being tipped off about a cabin joint. Chatted with locals and ate the best seafood gumbo ever with shrimp, crab, and crawdad tails. I added the saltines.

Onward to Dallas and arrive. First stop i noticed they sell unique brand wine and wine bottle holders.

Wow TX brisket is second to none, and Cajun and brisket in the same day? Thanks klr. Now i remember last time i was in Dallas. Bonedaddy's House Of Smoke.

Made new TX friends here tonight

Then ate this HUGE fresh jalapeño, plus the sliced brisket and pulled pork. Just friggin' wow. The fried okra was all that too.

Eat here when in Dallas.

Now, is quite the challenge to haul all this camping gear into a hotel! Its just too late to figure out a campsite tonight. Tomorrow I meet the Dallas BMW group for breakfast, then head west.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 09:21:06 am »
Eat here when in Dallas.

+1

Looks like fun Steve.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 09:37:00 am »
Looks like a great time. I am down in your neck of the woods. Port St Lucie for a few days and then up to Orlando to do a week of Disney with the family.
Joel from Maine.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 04:08:04 pm »
Very cool Steve, looks like you're having a great time!  :thumbs:

I like the "friends" you met in TX...  :P :)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
  • Mid Flowriduh a.a.d.
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2013, 06:56:13 pm »
the klr is amazing me

That d*mn bike will put a smile on your face, huh?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
'99 Conk: 227k mi, '98 KLR650 back from Cal
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 14 year member)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 10:33:06 pm »
Thanks for the update. the trip looks epic. Keep the photos coming.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 01:42:23 am »
693 miles on the klr today! 35 degrees when I arrived here on the Nm/Az border at Gallup, NM, glad i wired the bike for heated gear.I'd have done a lot more but I got a late start because I met up with the Dallas BMW Club. A guy had same jacket as me with size 34Long Gortex pants that didn't fit him. We made a deal and I was going through TX anyway. Got invited to their shindig meet and scheduled trip for it.

We looked like nerds in the same Klim jackets? That's his KTM 690. Was a great time with Joel and his crew.

Just what I needed, more cargo. No room so I just strapped the britches on.

There were a whole lot more bikes than this pic, my klr being the only Japanese type.

I rode a bit on famous rural Highway 66 in New Mexico, didn't take many pics but an old abandoned gas station from back in the day that hwy was active appeared apocalyptic, and I like zombie gas stations. This one had a wooden roof.

I been slabbing it and visiting folks. Now that I'm out west it's game on starting with dice and meeting friends in  Vegas then the real fun starts for the next few weeks, off roading/rural roading/ camping and some sport touring  miles

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 09:25:48 am »
693 miles on the klr today! 35 degrees when I arrived here on the Nm/Az border at Gallup, NM,

I know Gallup well. I went to HS in Grants NM. Did you see signs for the "Ice Caves"? If you stop in tell them Steve, or Betsy's husband sent you.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 09:47:57 am »
the trip looks epic. Keep the photos coming.
+1

Can't wait for June, when I can go coast to coast.  :thumbs:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 11:11:39 pm »
I know Gallup well. I went to HS in Grants NM. Did you see signs for the "Ice Caves"? If you stop in tell them Steve, or Betsy's husband sent you.

I remember those signs!