Author Topic: Before you buy a trunk - Some advice  (Read 8373 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Before you buy a trunk - Some advice
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »
Trunks come in a variety of makes, sizes, prices and shapes, BUT, they all fall into only two categories when it comes to mounting them to the stock rack or an after-market rack.

(1) Only Givi monoKEY trunks can be attached directly to an after-market rack using either Givi or SW-Motech mounting kits. (I'll contradict myself by saying, JC-Whitney / Sears may sometimes fit).

(2) All other brand trunks will need a universal mounting plate that usually comes with the trunk.  The universal mounting plate can be attached to the stock rack. This includes the Kawasaki trunk often sold with the bikes.

There are advantages to both methods of attachment, The monoKEY fits snugly and securely with minimal "bobble" but, unless the rack is adjustable, it's in a fixed location.
All other brands using a universal mounting plate offer some degree of adjustability in positioning them on the rack, but at the price of another layer of plastic between the bike & trunk.

I hope this information helps people before they but a trunk and are then disapointed in their mounting options.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Scaffolder

Re: Before you buy a trunk - Some advice
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
Good post. I love my Givi E-55 attached to the rack I got from you. So nice.
Joel from Maine.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:42:45 AM »
Thanks!  :finger_fing11:

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline W14

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 04:55:31 AM »
I am happy with the Kawasaki trunk. It is small (think 33 gals) and stationary but that is okay because I have it on the bike for day trips and regular use. It also matches the color of the bike (red 2009). The plate that comes with the trunk and attaches to the stock rack works fine and I have not noticed the wobble problems others have complained about.

Recall paying roughly $300 for a brand new trunk several months ago

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 05:12:43 AM »
IMHO, Phils rack is an absolutely first class product and so far above and beyond the flimsy stock rack that they cant be compared. If you are going to attach a monoKEY style trunk there is simply no better choice. That's is all for now, you may resume your regularly scheduled programming.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:56:12 PM by OCK913 »
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 05:38:29 AM »
'Ware the stock 'sandwich' rack.  It's made of plastic and a complete POS.  They've (Kwak Central) have replaced it once under a recall and the 'new an improved' version isn't much better.   Mine is sitting on a metal shelf in the garage.  It does well there.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
'Ware the stock 'sandwich' rack.  It's made of plastic and a complete POS.  They've (Kwak Central) have replaced it once under a recall and the 'new an improved' version isn't much better.   Mine is sitting on a metal shelf in the garage.  It does well there.

I've lost track of my OEM rack years ago. I have no idea where it is and I hope I never find it.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »
I've lost track of my OEM rack years ago. I have no idea where it is and I hope I never find it.

Don't worry, you can have mine. :)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 06:21:23 AM »
Another difference is weight carrying capacity between monokey and monolock trunks. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline AZBob

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »
I am happy with the Kawasaki trunk. It is small (think 33 gals) and stationary but that is okay because I have it on the bike for day trips and regular use.

I'm guessing it's 33 LITERS. 33 gallons would be HUUUUGE.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »
I'm guessing it's 33 LITERS. 33 gallons would be HUUUUGE.

:rotflmao: Think 2/3 of a 55 gal drum strapped to the back of your bike.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 04:00:48 PM »
:rotflmao: Think 2/3 of a 55 gal drum strapped to the back of your bike.

Offline W14

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
My bad...it was early in the morning when I wrote about the size of the Kawasaki trunk. I one I have is actually 39 liters.  I don't take it off the bike unless I am having the bike serviced, so the sandwich look is not an issue.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 07:01:01 AM »
I bought the Phil's Farkled rack and paid extra to get the SW-Motech mounts installed. I think I paid maybe $164 with shipping. I got a Givi V46 Mono key off Amazon for $250 shipped. Also got a double helmet lock (maybe from Murph?) that is insanely handy. Total install time was maybe 45 minutes and it was Friday night so I was talking my time and drinking beer. Could not be happier with the quality of all 3 products.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »
Drinking aside, what did you do with the unnecessary 40 minutes??   ::)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:29:15 AM by philipintexas »
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »
Drinking aside, what did with the unnecessary 40 minutes??   ::)

He already said, "drinking beer".  ;D

Offline Aegir

• 2012 - Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 08:20:29 AM »
IMHO, Phil's rack is an absolutely first class product and so far above and beyond the flimsy stock rack that they cant be compared. If you are going to attach a monoKEY still trunk there is simply no better choice.....

+1
Just installed the type C with Phil's rails and t-nuts.  The combo of the rails and t-nuts gives great flexibility for mounting options.  Can now easily use my Kawa case and Smuggler if need be and adjustments are very easy.  Items are excellent quality and Phil was super helpful with questions.  Can't go wrong with Phil's stuff.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:19:01 AM by Aegir »

Offline adrexco

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 06:26:29 PM »
I really like my Shad top case. The locking system is great. The key has three positions, case lock & locked to mount, case unlocked & locked to mount, unlock to remove from mount. The key lock only sets the mode, you push the lock tumbler in to release the carry handle, then reach inside to press the door release, or case remove. The nice part is you can leave the case locked on the mount and not need a key to open and close the door, and it's a two stage system, so it's nearly impossible to not have shut.

As for the mount, it comes with a very nice combo rack mount. They offer a steel top plate to reinforce the stock plastic rack. I opted for a SW-Motech steel rack and drilled my own mounting holes in it to line up with the Shad mount. It looks nice with the top case off as well as having a lower profile when mounted.

Last point is that the SH48 has the best pillion backrest set up with a pad above and below the hinge.

All in all I'm very happy with the Shad system and quality. Total install was $375

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »
+1
Just installed the type C with Phil's rails and t-nuts.  The combo of the rails and t-nuts gives great flexibility for mounting options.  Can now easily use my Kawa case and Smuggler if need be and adjustments are very easy.  Items are excellent quality and Phil was super helpful with questions.  Can't go wrong with Phil's stuff.

Yes sir, agreed! Phils rack and nuts are the tops for using with the Corbin Smuggler and a trunk too!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 07:08:56 PM »
^^^^geez that bike always looks better and better and better !
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine