Author Topic: BESTEM TBOX model 929: Anyone have one??  (Read 4219 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
BESTEM TBOX model 929: Anyone have one??
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:49:10 PM »
Does anyone have the Bestem trunk mounted on a rack with the SW-Motech kit??  This trunk mounting plate looks very similar to either a JC-Whitney or Sears trunk and I wonder if it will fit the SW-Motech mounting kit. Any help will be appreciated.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline webnetxpress

Re: BESTEM TBOX model 929: Anyone have one??
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:36:36 PM »
I have the top box on my c14.
Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm not sure what the "SW-Motech" kit is.  My bestem came with a metal mounting bracket.  I had to drill the holes in my rack to match the plate...

does that make sense.

i give the topbox a B+ or A-.  It is watertight, looks good, and the best deal for the money I found.  I think like $80 shipped from amazon...

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »
The SW-Motech kit consists of two forward mushroom-head fixtures that the trunk slides onto, and a pyramid shaped latch at the center rear for the trunk locking mechanism to engage.
It is just like Givi's monoKEY mounting system. The Bestem mounting plate comes with similar fixtures except the rear latch is reversed from Givi's. With some modification the SW-Motech kit can be made to fit an after-market rack and eliminate the mounting plate.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
I've been slacking on checking the forum now that we are hibernating up here...

I have the Bestem 929 box mounted to an aftermarket rack (bought the rack used and it was set up for a different top box), but I had to have my friend machine a custom rear bracket as the normal pyramid will not work.  If you look at my pictures, you'll see the back side needs to be straight and while the front needs to be sloped, you also need to add a small spacer which keeps from sliding rearward and unlatching.  There is also a lip in the opening you can't really see which needs to be there for the metal clip of the box. 

Overall, this setup works great.  I've had the Bestem box for about 3 years and I added the rack at the start of last season and it seemed to be fine.  One word of advice is there are exposed screw heads inside the box, so be sure to cover them with foam or at least duct tape or they will scratch your contents while driving.  I found that out the hard way with a spare helmet. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 02:47:28 PM »
It's interesting, on your set-up the opening in the rear latch faces forward, same as Givi monokey, however for it to work with the BESTEM it needed to face to the rear? I don't know if it's different for all Bestem trunks. Thanks for the photos.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »
It's interesting, on your set-up the opening in the rear latch faces forward, same as Givi monokey, however for it to work with the BESTEM it needed to face to the rear? I don't know if it's different for all Bestem trunks. Thanks for the photos.

The rear latch opening is facing rearward.  The last photo is taken from the back of the bike, the lighting is pretty bad.  It looks a little strange because you need that extra strip of material on the front side which keeps the whole box from sliding rearward and unlatching (probably why the Givi faces forward).  I could see if I can get the CAD drawings if that would help, I'm not sure if my friend kept them or not. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »
I think I see now. I believe you have one of my racks, the SW-Motech latch can be made to work, the problem is the front to rear spacing is different by about 3/8". Thanks for the input.