Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 235773 times)

Offline cbx4evr

Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1215 on: February 26, 2018, 08:03:07 am »
Just got Amazon Prime so - The Man in the High Castle.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you **** your pants every now and then. "

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1216 on: February 26, 2018, 09:30:53 am »
I watched that when it was released and liked the start, sort of fell down in the middle (almost stopped watching it) but really liked where it went at the end a very much. My very first alternate- history show.

I also got Amazon Prime recently and have been watching some unusual things, one of which is 'Soviet Storm', a documentary history of the Eastern war (Germany, Soviet Union) theater of WWII. It was produced for Russian TV in 2011, and so it has an interesting, somewhat different approach than western versions of the same events. Not wrong IMO, just different and with a different emphasis. It is narrated in English (UK English) but all the damn maps are in Cyrillic so I cannot read the city names and have a hard time following the dynamic battle lines and layouts. But overall, a very good documentary for those interested in such things I think.

Brian

Just got Amazon Prime so - The Man in the High Castle.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1217 on: February 26, 2018, 01:40:59 pm »
Watching "Frontier" on Netflix. Story is wrapped around the fur trade and the Hudson Bay Company in the early 1700's. Stars Jason Momon (aka. Kal Drogo from GOT). Not bad. Has its ups and downs but mostly entertaining.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1218 on: March 03, 2018, 02:10:02 pm »
Finished watching Waco. I found it to be quite good and pretty accurate, although I though Janet Reno got off a bit light regarding responsibility. And I was quite surprised that there was no mention of the Oklahoma City bombing, which was a direct result of the events at Ruby Ridge (Idaho) and Waco (Texas).

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Online gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1219 on: March 03, 2018, 02:35:47 pm »
Frau Reno was a bloodthirsty political officer who had no qualms with ghosting anyone who did not tow the Party line. She could have stood with the worst in history and not shirked what she believed was her duty to Party. RIH
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1220 on: March 03, 2018, 03:30:10 pm »
OFFTOPIC: I take it you are not a fan then? Me neither. But I find even more disturbing, I think, is that so many people around and under her were willing to go along and let those things happen, and she continued on as A.G. for one of the longest terms in that role in all of US history.

Brian

Frau Reno was a bloodthirsty political officer who had no qualms with ghosting anyone who did not tow the Party line. She could have stood with the worst in history and not shirked what she believed was her duty to Party. RIH

Online gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1221 on: March 03, 2018, 03:35:57 pm »
I finally understood what it meant to be an 'Enemy of the State'.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1222 on: March 03, 2018, 03:51:34 pm »
OFFTOPIC: I really do not want to get this thread locked so moderators, please delete or modify any / all of my posts as you see fit.

It is in the oath that almost everyone who swears allegiance to the United States takes: "I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; ...."  I see it as every citizen's duty to try our best to understand, support, and if needed defend the Constitution against anyone / any group who would or is trying to defeat it, go around it or ignore it. Even when following it is personally difficult, or at least that is how I view it.

We have an excellent society and system going here and it will continue to thrive, adapt and persevere unless we ourselves destroy it or stand idly by and watch it being destroyed.

".... At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide. ....."
-A. Lincoln, January 27, 1838

Brian

I finally understood what it meant to be an 'Enemy of the State'.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1223 on: March 03, 2018, 04:00:01 pm »
During a power failure last night, with nothing to do or watch (had power and TV, as well as playback devices), ended up watching the movie Cocoon for the first time in many years. Outstanding film, still! The plot is good but not great but the cast, and their performances are just outstanding IMO. And it was in many cases a 'second coming' of them as they had been pretty big stars decades ago but then sort of slipped into the mist. Don Ameche, Wilford Brimley, Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy (also Miss Daisy from Driving Miss Daisy), Maureen Stapleton, Jack Gilford.... a cast of giants. It is a fairly old movie (1985) but is really as good today as it was then IMO and for those of you who have not seen it, take a gander if you get a chance. It is a wonderful movie IMO; it does not actually 'go anywhere', the point is to enjoy the trip with a terrific cast and a great film (Ron Howard film).

Brian

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #1224 on: March 04, 2018, 06:33:07 pm »
THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS..

finally made it's way to Netflix,

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1225 on: March 04, 2018, 09:49:16 pm »
Just started Penny Dreadful.  Not what I expected, but 5 hours in and I am certainly hooked...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1226 on: March 05, 2018, 07:19:46 am »
THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS..

finally made it's way to Netflix,

Watched that a number of years ago. Was more entertaining than I expected.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1227 on: April 17, 2018, 03:29:20 pm »
Watched, of all things...... the Lost in Space reboot on Netflix.

Now we will just take a moment while everyone laughs......

Yep, still laughing......

OK, so I watched it, with no expectations at all other than it would be terrible. Perhaps as bad as the original. It could not be worse because nothing was worse than that show..... But I gotta' admit, it was not awful. In fact, by the end of the first season (ten episodes I think), it was actually OK. Really.

Basically they kept the original names but that is about it- the entire concept of the series is completely different and actually has some substance, intelligence and is a little bit interesting to watch. Seriously.

Tried to watch Altered Carbon but just had to abandon that one- terrible IMO, and growing worse as the series progressed.

Also watched Arrival (movie), which I liked quite a bit. An unusual plot, even for SciFi. Also read the short story it is based on, named 'The Story of your Life', which was similar but considerably different than the movie made from it. But I liked both and as I said, the basic plot is unusual and somewhat interesting IMO.

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1228 on: April 17, 2018, 03:41:41 pm »
Did the robot ever say "DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!"?

Watched, of all things...... the Lost in Space reboot on Netflix.

Now we will just take a moment while everyone laughs......

Yep, still laughing......

OK, so I watched it, with no expectations at all other than it would be terrible. Perhaps as bad as the original. It could not be worse because nothing was worse than that show..... But I gotta' admit, it was not awful. In fact, by the end of the first season (ten episodes I think), it was actually OK. Really.

Basically they kept the original names but that is about it- the entire concept of the series is completely different and actually has some substance, intelligence and is a little bit interesting to watch. Seriously.

Tried to watch Altered Carbon but just had to abandon that one- terrible IMO, and growing worse as the series progressed.

Also watched Arrival (movie), which I liked quite a bit. An unusual plot, even for SciFi. Also read the short story it is based on, named 'The Story of your Life', which was similar but considerably different than the movie made from it. But I liked both and as I said, the basic plot is unusual and somewhat interesting IMO.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1229 on: April 17, 2018, 04:04:33 pm »
Yes! And that is about all he said 'cause this robot does not talk. This robot is 'foreign', and by that I do not mean a non- American.  ;D

And while it has been made more PC (Judy is black, Dr. Smith is a female) they did not go overboard and get ridiculous about it.

Brian

Did the robot ever say "DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!"?