Author Topic: Which DS, if I were to take the plunge  (Read 19399 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Which DS, if I were to take the plunge
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 07:17:32 pm »
Love my Suzuki DR-650. Fun per dollar cannot be beat. But definitely not a 95% on road bike. You can make it bearable for on road duty by putting the Corbin seat on it but the most I like to do on it is about 400 miles/day.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 07:23:17 pm »

Sweet sweet machine, hope that Yamaha can start selling more of them, cannot understand why they have not sold better. :(

I know two guys with them. Both are ok with the bike, but both would prefer the GS. From everything I hear, it's too heavy and just isn't inspiring. They both do a fair amount of off-road on them, too. Most comparisons put it close to the bottom of the adventure bike list.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 08:17:47 pm »
Nice pics Chet!  :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline TJ

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 08:18:15 pm »
I've read several positive reviews of both 800 Tigers. What percentage use would you say yours sees the highway, vs secondary and backroads?
Also, does the suspension seem adequate to run fast over the rough and loaded? Thanks.

So far it has been 100% highway. Been a rough year with an ACL surgery then followed by having three disks in my neck replaced with cadaver bone so am almost ready to tackle some bumps and ruts. I still have to add some crash bars and join up with some other guys for some off roading.
Bike is amazingly quick even where I live at 7,000 feet which translate into 20% HP loss. It is most likely the smoothest running bike I ever owned outside of some previous Gold Wings. I would not hesitate to ride this bike across the country.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Son of Pappy

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 10:26:18 am »
I have some pics uploading from my Dirt Bike 201 Class I held yesterday, highlights are of a Tiger and Buell Ulysses.  Trust me, worth the wait.  May make some rethink their choices (not really, but it will make folks rethink what a Tiger and Buell can do).

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 01:27:31 pm »
I know two guys with them. Both are ok with the bike, but both would prefer the GS. From everything I hear, it's too heavy and just isn't inspiring. They both do a fair amount of off-road on them, too. Most comparisons put it close to the bottom of the adventure bike list.

The latest rendition is even more GS like, just without the price tag and potential high maintenance costs. :)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 03:31:53 pm »
I've ridden a Super Tenere on road and it wasn't bad but just not exciting in anyway. I guess for that kind of money I was expecting more.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 10:02:09 am »
I have some pics uploading from my Dirt Bike 201 Class I held yesterday, highlights are of a Tiger and Buell Ulysses.  Trust me, worth the wait.  May make some rethink their choices (not really, but it will make folks rethink what a Tiger and Buell can do).

Hey, SOP. Where are the pics you mentioned?
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 10:04:21 am »

The latest rendition is even more GS like, just without the price tag and potential high maintenance costs. :)

Are you comparing to the new "water cooled" GS? I'm considering one. Rode a friends and I think it has much more potential than the air heads.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 10:40:08 am »
Hey, SOP. Where are the pics you mentioned?

Pics take a long time to down load using DSL.

Bonus Koolaid pic for Pokey  ;)

There would be more of the Tiger, but he was a bit of a novice rider whereas the Ulysses guy had no fear and responded well to coaching..

Son of Pappy

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 11:19:10 am »
Are you comparing to the new "water cooled" GS? I'm considering one. Rode a friends and I think it has much more potential than the air heads.
The water boxer is an improvement, just decide what kind of riding you would like to do.  If it is primarily road and gravel forest roads awesome choice.  If you are looking at pushing it beyond that??  My ultimate ADV Bike would be a well equipped KTM690, provided I stayed primarily in the dirt/back country.  For what I do the F800GS has proven to be the right bike for me (after many mods of course).

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 11:34:21 am »
SOP, I'm definitely more of a road guy, but want the option for gravel/dirt roads and a limited amount of light offroad when the opportunity arises. Just trying to decide between the 1200 Tiger and the new GS. Huge price difference, so weighing the options.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 12:15:25 pm »
Tourtech equipped 2014 V-Strom 1000.......drool. Oh and thanks for the Kool-Aid pic SOP, glad to see it was actually running that day.  ;)

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline TJ

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 12:29:45 pm »
SOP, I'm definitely more of a road guy, but want the option for gravel/dirt roads and a limited amount of light offroad when the opportunity arises. Just trying to decide between the 1200 Tiger and the new GS. Huge price difference, so weighing the options.

Have you looked at the Tiger 800? I don't think I have ever gotten less than 55 mpg and I don't baby it. Plenty cheaper than a 1200, lighter, and more than enough HP and speed.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 02:46:40 pm »
For touring with the ability to ride some gravel I prefer to have a shaft drive.  The GS is still thousands more than the Super Tenere. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077