Author Topic: Which DS, if I were to take the plunge  (Read 19585 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: Which DS, if I were to take the plunge
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2014, 05:59:33 am »

Did anyone see the comparo in one of the bike rags this month (Motorcyclist maybe?) that compared the GSA, the KTM, Triumph, and the Super T? I haven't read it yet, but was told the KTM barely won out, the Triumph was a distant third, and the Yamaha was trash.

Quite a different tune compared to the articles over the last two years where the Yamaha kept winning the shootouts.  I wish Kawasaki would enter the Adventure touring market, but alas, I guess I am going to have to cross over to another manufacturer.  I may start by adding a Triumph Thruxton to the stable.  If that happens then I am going to have to make room for some Triumph paraphernalia on the walls.  LOL!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline TJ

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2014, 09:45:51 am »
Kawasaki has the KLR. They also just revised the suspension so it shouldn't bottom out anymore. You can find a new one for about $6,000 making it one of the best values in the motorcycle world today. There are a lot of bikes on the market that are faster but none more capable for the $$$. You can run them all day long at 70 mph then crawl along at 10 mph for days. If I wasn't such a speed junkie and lived at a lower elevation one would be in my garage as we speak.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2014, 10:32:16 am »
Kawasaki has the KLR. They also just revised the suspension so it shouldn't bottom out anymore. You can find a new one for about $6,000 making it one of the best values in the motorcycle world today. There are a lot of bikes on the market that are faster but none more capable for the $$$. You can run them all day long at 70 mph then crawl along at 10 mph for days. If I wasn't such a speed junkie and lived at a lower elevation one would be in my garage as we speak.

I had a highly modified '08 KLR.  Nice bike, but not an Adventure Touring bike.  Mine felt most comfortable under 60 mph.  Sure it could do more, but it and I didn't feel comfortable with the engine rpms.  Besides all the visual enhancements, it had the Doohicky upgrade, thermobob, Racetech GVE and springs, Cogent Moab rear shock.

I have my Versys set up like an Adventure bike, but I am now looking for more electronic aids like cruise control, ABS, and TPS.  Als well as places to strap down camping gear.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline TJ

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2014, 02:39:52 pm »
I agree, wouldn't want to run 75-80 all day on one. And I am with you about cruise control. I will NEVER buy another street bike without it.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours