Author Topic: Has anyone tried the Brembo rotors and pads?  (Read 10360 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Has anyone tried the Brembo rotors and pads?
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:49:06 PM »

I'm looking get another set of rotors to put on my green wheels, has anyone ran these before? Any comments about em?  :-\

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261405155083?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261418078682?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Offline BruceR

• Arena
Re: Has anyone tried the Brembo rotors and pads?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 08:06:53 PM »
Jay, there's a member on here running Brembos.  Hopefully he chimes in on this thread.   I know if you go out to Brembo's website they have rotors listed for the GTR.  I'd double-check the part number to make sure the ones you linked to are the correct rotors.  I do know they cost more than the EBC or Galfer.  I wonder if you can tell much difference using the stock calipers?

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:41:47 AM »
It's Brembo. Of course they are fantastic! I'm not so sure you will be able to tell any difference between them and the other brands performance wise though. But let's be honest here, YOU aren't buying them for a performance increase anyway. You're buying them because they are cool. You won't be disappointed.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 07:24:52 AM »
It's Brembo. Of course they are fantastic! I'm not so sure you will be able to tell any difference between them and the other brands performance wise though. But let's be honest here, YOU aren't buying them for a performance increase anyway. You're buying them because they are cool. You won't be disappointed.

So you're running them bro? It looks like they're available in both 310 and 320 mm, which one did you go with and what's the difference between the 2?  ??? :-\

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 07:40:43 AM »

^^^that all day. no matter the RAW braking performance or the wow factor at bike night, they are second to none.

luvn' 'em on the KTM too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:01:48 AM »
So you're running them bro? It looks like they're available in both 310 and 320 mm, which one did you go with and what's the difference between the 2?  ??? :-\

all else equal, bigger brake disc is better. For the same clamping force produced at the caliper, the braking torque at the disc is higher, hence the performance increase without any disadvantage at the user level: same force at the lever, same temperature of the hydraulic fluid. Furthermore, you get more feeling and better control of the stopping.
However, a bigger disc has more moment of inertia (slightly different steering feel) and it's structurally weaker, because the bolting point remain at the same circle on the rim.
One could argue that the difference between 310 and 320 mm is academic at just a little bit more than 3%, but everything adds up.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:28:05 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »
I'm looking get another set of rotors to put on my green wheels, has anyone ran these before? Any comments about em?  :-\

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261405155083?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261418078682?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

$500 for front brake pads....

get serious. ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:35:15 AM »
all else equal, bigger brake disc is better. For the same clamping force produced at the caliper, the braking torque at the disc is higher, hence the performance increase without any disadvantage at the user level: same force at the lever, same temperature of the hydraulic fluid.
However, a bigger disc has more moment of inertia (slightly different steering feel) and it's structurally weaker, because the bolting point remain at the same circle on the rim.
One could argue that the difference between 310 and 320 mm is academic at just a little bit more than 3%, but everything adds up.

So I'm currently running the EBC X series  http://ebcbrakes.com/product/floating-mc-rotors/

Are these 310's? I looked on their site and didn't see anything that mentioned the size?  ???

Are the oem rotors 310's?  ???

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »
OEM front is 310 rear is 270

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »
OEM front is 310 rear is 270

Thanks Rich!  :chugbeer:

omcrider

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »
Damn and I thought regular sintered brake pads were expensive for this bike.  I like the look of the EBC X series over the Brembos.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »
I like the look of the EBC X series over the Brembos.

I love my gold EBC's with my black wheels, and they looked great on my gold wheels too, but I think black rotors might look better on the neon green wheels for my back in black project...  :-\

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:01:40 PM »
Uh oh... Went to my buddies shop today, started out talking Brembo rotors and ended up talking about possibly a full-monty setup with Brembo calipers too...  :-\

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
Jay, go with 320 if you get them. No reason not to.

That leaves your caliper 5mm too close.  Honda sells spacers that come on their cbr 1000, that happen to be 5mm thick, and work on our Kawasaki forks. Part number 51497-MEL-D20. You'll need 4, and they are cheap at around 5.00 per.

I've had the Brembo rotors...as far as performance, boy they sure look pretty.   They work great, but so does every other rotor.

I've used the brembo p[ads too, and they are not as good as the Vesrah. But, you can see the problem with the Vesrah pads, right here:   No, its not a misprint on the price.

http://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29_40_78&products_id=220

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:16:46 AM by rcannon409 »

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 09:18:29 PM »
As other have mentioned, what you'll get from the Brembo rotors is bragging rights from having Brembo rotors. The cheap Chinese rotors will perform just as well.

Now the calipers are a different matter...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 09:35:01 PM »
Jay, go with 320 is you get them. No reason not to.

Agreed RC, the cost is pretty close between the 310 and the 320, and yes the spacers are pretty cheap, so that will be the way I go.  :chugbeer:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 09:36:36 PM »
Now the calipers are a different matter...

Indeed RB, indeed, that's the way I'm leaning now, we'll see...  ;)
I like the nickel plated ones... Here's a pic I took today of a set on a ZX14 with my same Ohlins forks... :cool:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »
Uh oh... Went to my buddies shop today, started out talking Brembo rotors and ended up talking about possibly a full-monty setup with Brembo calipers too...  :-\

Of course do the calipers too!  I never heard you even debate scimping on the

Here is my back caliper. No bling nor a real casing, its for hardcore dirt.  Along with the Brembo pads and the mad wave rotors its incredible overkill stopping power and control of the brakes 

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 11:19:41 PM »
I just peeked at the calipers for the ZX14, GEEZ they are high, the 3 calipers for the bike cost more than a C14 with a KLR thrown into the deal on the side! 

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 07:38:52 AM »
I just peeked at the calipers for the ZX14, GEEZ they are high, the 3 calipers for the bike cost more than a C14 with a KLR thrown into the deal on the side! 

;D :chugbeer: