Author Topic: Help with leak id  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Dade22

Help with leak id
« on: April 24, 2014, 01:40:26 PM »
When i pulled the girl out this spring i noticed 2 small drops of coolant on the floor.  About the size of a dime.    I have now pulled the plastics and can not find any place its leaking coolant.

I found a very small dried spot of coolant by one of the bottom hoses where it attaches to the pump.  I suppose the hose could be loose??? Dunno.

I was also able to find a wet spot on top of the engine between the two center header pipes.  There seems to be a sensor at this point as well.  It looks like oil but really has no odor to it. 

I have attached some photos to show what Im seeing.
"To punish and enslave..."

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: Help with leak id
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »
That's your exhaust cam position sensor, and that's oil all around it. Likely from the valve cover gasket or the cam sensor o-ring, or both.

The coolant hoses can get loose, and I've seen many of them loose right from the factory. Tighten them up, clean up around them, and watch again for the drips. You can also check the bottom of the water pump...there is a weep hole there. If the coolant is coming from there, you'll be looking at a water pump replacement.

HTH,
Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Dade22

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
Cool thanks.  From a quick look it seems like most of the oil is coming from that sensor.  The rest appears to be blow back from that same area.  Makes me feel better. 

I'll double check the water pump.

Thanks. 

Dade

Offline Dade22

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »
Again, thanks for the info.  I double checked the water pump.  Guess what. The hose must have been loose. I can see where coolant has been leaking out. That coinsides with the two drops I found.  No other drips or indications around the pump.  Yay.

Now to get that cam sensors O ring fixed.  Sigh.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »

Now to get that cam sensors O ring fixed.  Sigh.

You've seen this I assume?

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13866.0

Glad you got the coolant hose(s) sorted out. I've worked on bikes before and found every clamp on the bike to be loose. Happens all the time.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »
The coolant hoses can get loose, and I've seen many of them loose right from the factory.

Mine was loose from the factory and had a tiny bit of drip near the kickstand when it was new.  I took it back to the dealer and they tightened it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc