Author Topic: Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Socket Added to Glove Box  (Read 5754 times)

Offline reh8388

Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Socket Added to Glove Box
« on: May 02, 2014, 03:01:17 PM »
I recently had a day that I was out riding but my cell phone died so I had to plug it into the accessory socket on the dash and run a cable into the glove box to hold my phone. With the cable there, the lid just didn't want to close properly so I knew I had to add a charging port to the glove box.

After looking at a few options I decided to use the Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Charger Socket. Blue Sea makes great stuff and it is exactly what I was looking for. I added a pigtail. Here is the socket with the pigtail (minus the bullet terminals).

Next I had to figure out a location. I pulled the top left cover off and took the glove box out. Due to the solenoid on one side and the fairing on the other, the sides of the box were not an option; I had to use the front or back. Because of the design of the lid hinges, I wasn't going to be able to mount the socket anywhere except near the bottom. I had two options, relocate a relay that was hanging on a bracket behind the glove box (closest to the rider) or remove a metal bracket/tab that was welded to the subframe near the front of the glove box.

I decided to take off the metal tab. About 30 seconds with the dremel and it was gone. Touched it up with the file to remove any sharp edges and I had room to fit the socket into the glove box. In the photo I circled the bracket and the red line is approximately where I cut. This bracket seemed to only be holding the harness bundle away from the glove box lid hinges.

I marked the spot on the glove box and used a stepper bit to drill the 1.125" hole needed for the socket. I put the socket into the hole, tightened it up and then plugged it into the open accessory leads in the harness in the front of the bike. (picture of terminals)

I put everything back together and the glove box went back in with the socket installed in it. There isn't much room to spare. Here is the backside of the socket once everything was put back on the bike.

And the final product, closed, open and then with the 6" cable I have for my phone/scala.

Also, for anyone who wouldn't want a dedicated USB charging port, I believe the Blue Sea 12V socket is the exact same dimensions meaning it would fit in the same location.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline AZ-ZG

Re: Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Socket Added to Glove Box
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:20:30 PM »
Nice work!  :chugbeer:

I'm an '09 so it doesn't apply to me but should be helpful to many! 
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:48:46 PM »
 :goodpost: :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:33:28 AM »
Do a quick "search" on glove box heat issue.
I thought there was an excessive heat issue?
I do like the outcome.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline Sly

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 05:07:43 AM »
Nicely done  :hail:

Offline reh8388

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 05:37:58 AM »
Do a quick "search" on glove box heat issue.
I thought there was an excessive heat issue?
I do like the outcome.

Thanks for the heads up about the heat. I'll try and see how hot it gets in the box today on a ride and maybe use some of the heat shield stuff other members have used.
2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Sly

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 06:21:26 AM »
Just a question, please forgive my ignorance  ;) would the bottom of the glove box work, or is there something that would obstruct it?

Offline reh8388

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 06:35:30 AM »
Just a question, please forgive my ignorance  ;) would the bottom of the glove box work, or is there something that would obstruct it?

If you look in the 2nd and 3rd pictures you will see a metal bar and tab running from the relays to the harness bundle. The glovebox sits on that and so putting it through the bottom isn't really an option.
2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Sly

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 06:52:33 AM »
Thanks, getting old need to wear my glasses.......

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »
I like your straightforward instructions and appreciate the Blue Sea Systems link.
Though I don't need this right now, it is tempting to install just because it's a cool addition.  ;)
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline garfield1974

• Kawaski GTR 1400 2008
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 01:55:07 AM »
Not so fancy  ;D but it allows to change voltage  from 1.5 to 12V

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »
I used the same exact Blue Sea Systems socket on my 09 but put it where I can have it plugged in and the phone can be in my tank bag as I ride:

Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips