Author Topic: snapper hydrolock....almost...lawnmowrmecknick saves day...  (Read 7940 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
So, after sitting all winter in the garage, I pushed the old Snapper 10 hp out into the drive and prepped for seasonl starting....
Checked fuel tank, it was empty, hmmmm I had stabilized fuel when I parked it.., oh well...add a gallon. as I d idnt have the battery on charge for the arctic last 6 months, I was curious if it had juice.....hit the key....wow it cranks, it starts.... then the smoke..... hmmmmm give it more throttle.., lotsa smoke... oh oh...shut it down now.
Well, never pulled the dipstick to check oil level, never really intended to start the machine, but anticipation got the best of me....

So, being one of those people that always cautions others , I broke my own rules...I knew immediatly what occurred... stuck a 3# folgers coffe can under the oil drain pipe, and when I drained thecase, filled that can with gas/ oil blend...
Well, the crankcase is clean for sure now...
Pulled plug, turned over nicely, replaced plug, removed floatbowl, freed up stickey float needle, refilled with clean oil...fired up... no damage.
Actually runs better than ever....
I built mowers with my dad from the time I was 9 , I shoulda known better.... tragedy averted.

Mow safe.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Strawboss

Re: snapper hydrolock....almost...lawnmowrmecknick saves day...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 08:23:14 PM »
Glad its ok. Maybe not so tragic as a snapper, lawn mower that is,  is a little easier to work on than a bike, that and parts are a bit easier too as that piston probably will fit just about every lawn mower made since 1949.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 04:58:32 AM »
Over this past weekend I mowed for the first time this season too.

I pulled my 25 year old Murray mower (w/ Briggs and Stratton Quantum motor) out of the garage and gave the priming bulb three pumps and she started on the first pull. The wife asks me when I'm going to get a new mower. Never. That thing runs just as good today as it did back when it was new.  :)

I did prep it for winter, as I always do.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:14:03 AM »
Over this past weekend I mowed for the first time this season too.

I pulled my 25 year old Murray mower (w/ Briggs and Stratton Quantum motor) out of the garage and gave the priming bulb three pumps and she started on the first pull. The wife asks me when I'm going to get a new mower. Never. That thing runs just as good today as it did back when it was new.  :)

I did prep it for winter, as I always do.

funny you mention that,
I always snicker a bit, every year, when I pull my old Craftsman / Briggs push mower (purchased 1986) out, fill it up, prime it on choke, pull twice, and it starts and runs all season.... I do drain that tank in the fall..
mainly because I use it for my aux tank when doing carb work....

I'm on my 4th Ryobi Multi attachment weed whacker in the last 3 years.... they just don't make equipment to last anymore... ::)

The old Snapper is a 10 hp version, of the original Forest Gump Mower... I love that machine...
It is about the same difficulty factor to pull the float bowl on the machine as a C10 tho... blind fumblin'

Since I was a bozillionaire, and I liked doin' it so much... I mowed that grass fo' free.

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
Isn't there a video where a mechanic shows how to check for hydrolock on a Snapper?

Also, do run dino or synth oil in that thing? Do you change the filter every change?  ;)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 07:06:09 PM »
Rich, I'm thinkin' ya mispeeled lonmowr mecknick, thou I'm knot reelly shure. Websters/Wiki seams too bea ov know hep.

;) ;) :thumbs: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

See ya in Johnson City. more  :chugbeer:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »
Rich, I'm thinkin' ya mispeeled lonmowr mecknick, thou I'm knot reelly shure. Websters/Wiki seams too bea ov know hep.

;) ;) :thumbs: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

See ya in Johnson City. more  :chugbeer:

ah lurnt evythin I noze frum Bubba...
 ;D ;D :rotflmao: :chugbeer: yep se yahs at J.C.

(I'll be the old phart lookin over Bubba's shoulder....) :rotflmao:

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »
U knead a $5 Bruggs und Stratton fuel shutoff valve. Works awn awl me moorsickles.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!