Author Topic: Changed dip setting and improved Rostra  (Read 4237 times)

Offline C14lvr

Changed dip setting and improved Rostra
« on: May 22, 2014, 08:52:01 PM »
For those of you that have added a Rostra CC to your bike, I thought I'd share a change I made today that enhanced it's performance.

When I installed mine 2 years ago, I set the dip switches to the setting positions BDF had recommended in his tutorial. It's worked pretty good.

But, I've always noticed that certain situations would cause it to seem slow to react....
like, if I had it set at 70mph, and accelerated to pass someone. It would slow excessively, and take a while to resume back to 70. Or, when I would engage the cruise, and try to remove my right hand from the throttle, it had not achieved the speed setting yet, and might take 3-5 seconds to get there.

If any of this is sounding familiar to your experiences, then try this;
If your #1 and #2 dip switch settings are set to off, leave #1 off, but turn #2 ON.
That makes it work faster, and WOW! Mine now works so much better!
Far better response. I can literally engage it, and remove my throttle hand... that fast.
Now when it's set at a speed, and I add more throttle, it goes right back to the preset speed... as it should.

I'm diggin' the change now. If yours has been bugging you, ya might try it and see if it helps yours, too.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline jamiemac

Re: Changed dip setting and improved Rostra
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 09:17:29 PM »
Great info!! I'll try that! That has been an issue for Me for years.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 04:12:56 AM »
For those of us that have no clue, what does that setting change?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 05:48:13 AM »
For those of us that have no clue, what does that setting change?

probably the damping of the S-function used in the control algorithm.
Nope, I'm not kidding. One day I'll regret being able to know things like this. I'm thinking of Sheldon Cooper right now...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 06:22:22 AM »
You're not up to Dietrich level yet, but excellent work so far...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Dietrich
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 06:26:15 AM »
Yep, those two switches control, more or less, proportional gain. Switches 7, 8 and 9 control, again more or less, integral gain. The settings recommended are indeed very sluggish and slow to respond and it is a compromise because usually when used at lower speeds and or lower loads, the bike will tend to oscillate in speed.

A similar thing will happen when changing switches 7 thru 9; the controller will respond with greater intensity when it is behind or ahead of the set speed but that can be a good or bad thing, depending on the bike's speed and load.

What is really needed here is two more DIP switches to control derivative gain which would give us the complete PID control algorithm. Unfortunately, the derivative gain is basically in the power- to- weight ratio of the vehicle and so is not usually needed but our application has a much higher power to weight ratio than any common auto.

It would be great if you would tinker around with that at lower speeds, different gears, etc. and let us know how it works. As I said in the tutorial, the settings given are absolutely not wonderful or even likely the best possible, just a group that works safely enough. If you (or anyone else) finds better overall settings, it would be great if you would share them.

Nice work and thanks!

Brian

For those of you that have added a Rostra CC to your bike, I thought I'd share a change I made today that enhanced it's performance.

When I installed mine 2 years ago, I set the dip switches to the setting positions BDF had recommended in his tutorial. It's worked pretty good.

But, I've always noticed that certain situations would cause it to seem slow to react....
like, if I had it set at 70mph, and accelerated to pass someone. It would slow excessively, and take a while to resume back to 70. Or, when I would engage the cruise, and try to remove my right hand from the throttle, it had not achieved the speed setting yet, and might take 3-5 seconds to get there.

If any of this is sounding familiar to your experiences, then try this;
If your #1 and #2 dip switch settings are set to off, leave #1 off, but turn #2 ON.
That makes it work faster, and WOW! Mine now works so much better!
Far better response. I can literally engage it, and remove my throttle hand... that fast.
Now when it's set at a speed, and I add more throttle, it goes right back to the preset speed... as it should.

I'm diggin' the change now. If yours has been bugging you, ya might try it and see if it helps yours, too.
Bob
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 02:47:11 AM »
Thanks, Brian.
I rode about 350 miles yesterday with a buddy of mine.
So far, so good. I still like the change. It's responding well, and a lot faster.

I haven't tried it yet at slower speeds, or lower gears yet...
but will do that, and report back with the findings.
Bob
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 05:13:26 AM »
Great info. I'm also interested in lower speeds and maybe 4th. I have the settings from Brian's write up and find it oscillates a bit in 4th. I mostly use it at 60 and above in 5th or 6th.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 05:26:15 PM »
Wow... Tulsa's been in a pretty bad state of drought for a while now.
Last week they said we were 8" behind for the year! (3rd year in a row...)

So... A buddy and I decided to do some riding this holiday weekend. We had a great trip to the Ozarks all planned... then, the day before we were to leave... Yep...rain.

It has rained here all weekend!

Hopefully, it'll dry up this next week, and I'll be able to report back on low speed, 4-5th gear response of the Rostra with the new setting.

(We have needed the rain, though!)