Author Topic: Corbin Large trunk users?  (Read 3293 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Corbin Large trunk users?
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:16:38 AM »
Have any of you that have the Large Corbin trunks given any thought to supporting it with the Givi SR-410 supports? My question really is, would the SR-410 work with the Corbin trunk?
IE: will it support the rear of the trunk?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:55:47 AM by philipintexas »
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline mikeb2411

Re: Corbin Large trunk users?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:21:48 PM »
Have any of you that have the Large Corbin trunks given any thought to supporting it with the Givi SR-410 supports? My question really is, would the SR-410 work with the Corbin trunk?
IE: will it support the rear of the trunk?

Good question...I'd like to know as I too am in the market for a trunk. Also, is that trunk easy to attach/remove depending on riding preference and how is the overall quality of that trunk (latch, seal, ease of opening/closing...things like that)?
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline MrSkydriver

• Gregg Hackett
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 03:34:23 PM »
I don't know the answer to your question but I have an SR-410 for sale!  My understanding is it is the strongest rack made because it has support bars.  I'm sure if I'm not correct someone will correct me... :P

Gregg
Gregg Hackett - MrSkydriver@gmail.com 
'08 Concours ZG 1400 '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV 1000
Santa Rosa, CA
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 04:51:01 PM »
HELLBENDER:  "Also, is that trunk easy to attach/remove depending on riding preference and how is the overall quality of that trunk (latch, seal, ease of opening/closing...things like that)?"

I'm sure some owners will chime in with answers, however, from what I hear it is difficult to install, has some quality issues, and is Heavy!

MRSKYDRIVER: I'm communicating with a member who has the trunk and, contrary to most, wants to move it to the rear. That might be of interest to him. I'll pass it on.

BUT, I still don't know if it would work. 
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »
When I looked at using the Givi 410 the support arms did not look long enough to reach the Corbin, but after looking here it may be an option.

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/Givi-SR410-p/givi%20sr410.htm

Click on TECHNICAL SPECS for a great photo, specifically photo H. 

My issue is that the arms need to go further back to support the Corbin.  Phil's rails helped me move the box more over the frame and move the center of gravity.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »
HELLBENDER:  "Also, is that trunk easy to attach/remove depending on riding preference and how is the overall quality of that trunk (latch, seal, ease of opening/closing...things like that)?"

I'm sure some owners will chime in with answers, however, from what I hear it is difficult to install, has some quality issues, and is Heavy!

Thanks for the feedback...I'm beginning to lean toward the GIVI.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 12:11:03 AM »
Good question...I'd like to know as I too am in the market for a trunk. Also, is that trunk easy to attach/remove depending on riding preference and how is the overall quality of that trunk (latch, seal, ease of opening/closing...things like that)?

I'm happy with my Corbin trunk so far, it's built well, but some have reported issues with the finish.  Mine has some slight cracking on the underside near the mount point.  The latch takes some getting used to, and occasionally it will lock itself on bumpy roads, and I just about freaked out on my last trip as my key was in a liner pocket inside the trunk...then I remembered I had stashed the spare in my wife's riding jacket.  And I think it would be super simple to pick it if needed.  A huge plus for me is that you can open the lid fully and it wont knock a helmet off the rear seat.  For some reason my wife and I have a problem with that, and we've (I won't say specifically who!) trashed two helmets with my previous GIVI trunk.  It opens and closes easy, but I always check it, because if the latch is slightly turned, it won't positively catch.  A very minor thing.  The seal seems pretty good, I've been in downpours and driving rain, without a drop getting in, but it does have a channel (like a car trunk) that catches water if the bike is on it's side stand.  I just blow it out.  It's pretty easy to install and remove--take the rack off, set it on, and install the 4 bolts.  A second person is helpful, but I can easily do it by myself.  I'd hate to drop the thing though.

Oh, get used to the fact that when you make stops, for some reason everyone comes over and leans on it, places their maps on it, huddles around it, etc.  It's that big.