Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 686414 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3375 on: October 21, 2019, 05:14:31 pm »
before I get a bunch of p/m's, just want to say I no longer sell the sensor O-rings;
Passed the whole thing onto Murph to handle and sell, they are still priced well below the OEM non functioning ones, so contact him if you need them.. I think I handed out about 100 at various rides and rallies, in trade for beers..

ride safe y'all and don't "pressure wash" your engine, just spritz it with some "orange cleaner spray" and wipe it down before replacing..

ride safe.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #3376 on: October 21, 2019, 10:07:16 pm »
Oh, that sucks.  If they tried that with me, I would tell the manager, "Fine- you can waste 30 min of labor (or an hour if it is both sensors) replacing the tire with the SAME TIRE when you replace the sensor, then I will come back next week to pay to replace the tire again with a new one.  You will get the same money, but waste valuable time that you could have been making money doing something else for someone else.  And I am sure Kawasaki will not like that you tried to charge them for labor that you also want to charge me, when I tell them what happened."  Of course, they will probably hate me at that point...

They told me the tire didn't have to come completely off to change the TPMS batteries- they can partially dismount the tire in the vicinity of the batteries and change them with no problemos, but "hey, nice try buddy." Also they left me with a real adhesive mess where the old weights were stuck on..anyone know how to safely get that black crap off the rims? At least the TPMS batteries were covered by the warranty.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3377 on: October 22, 2019, 12:46:50 am »
They told me the tire didn't have to come completely off to change the TPMS batteries- they can partially dismount the tire in the vicinity of the batteries and change them with no problemos, but "hey, nice try buddy."

That is true, but they are still paid to remove/balance/replace.  So they are "cheating".

Also they left me with a real adhesive mess where the old weights were stuck on..anyone know how to safely get that black crap off the rims? At least the TPMS batteries were covered by the warranty.

Yeah, it looks like I have an adhesive mess too.  Mine has the white foam kind, though. Haven't tried removing it yet, but it is on my list.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3378 on: October 22, 2019, 04:52:13 am »
Also they left me with a real adhesive mess where the old weights were stuck on..anyone know how to safely get that black crap off the rims? At least the TPMS batteries were covered by the warranty.

Goo-Gone will take it off.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3379 on: October 22, 2019, 05:28:39 am »

Yeah, I like that stuff (and "orange oil" and similar), but it only works on the adhesive.  The rest of the stuff, like foam, it won't touch, so that has to be removed enough to get to the adhesive part.  In the past, I have had pretty good luck soaking the area in goo-gone/orange oil and scraping a lot with a soft, plastic implement.  Wipe, repeat, reapply, scrape, wipe, over and over.  I have an ancient inspection sticker on the fork tube that I plan to remove that is probably even worse.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3380 on: October 22, 2019, 06:49:20 am »
It was time to change out the coolant in my C-14 and also to FINALLY replace the leaking exhaust cam cover o-ring.

I pulled off all the plastic yesterday and changed out the coolant.

The front of the motor was such a mess from the leak that I decided to use some spray foam engine degreaser to clean it up before I do the o-ring replacement. I'll be doing the replacement today.

C, is your valve cover gasket good?

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure about the valve cover gasket. The front of the motor was such a mess that at first I thought for sure that both the valve cover gasket AND the cam sensor must be leaking. After cleaning the mess up I'm still not sure. Where exactly are the leaks from the gasket coming from? After I got the radiator back in place I ran the bike till the fans came on and checked the area, no oil in sight. I really hope that the gasket isn't leaking too cuz I REALLY don't want to have to go through all that again. I'm sure that replacing that gasket is much more fun than just doing the o-ring.   :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3381 on: October 22, 2019, 06:53:24 am »
before I get a bunch of p/m's, just want to say I no longer sell the sensor O-rings;
Passed the whole thing onto Murph to handle and sell, they are still priced well below the OEM non functioning ones, so contact him if you need them.. I think I handed out about 100 at various rides and rallies, in trade for beers..

ride safe y'all and don't "pressure wash" your engine, just spritz it with some "orange cleaner spray" and wipe it down before replacing..

ride safe.

I did get my O-rings from you Rich, thanks again. I don't know how long ago that was but I finally got the job done.

I was a little worried about getting the new o-ring in place but after greasing it up with some bearing grease and applying a little pressure, it popped right in place.

I didn't pressure wash my engine. Believe it or not, I do know better than that.

I sprayed some 'steam cleaning' stuff in a can on the warm engine, let it soak in for 20 mins or so, scrubbed it a bit and washed the whole mess off with a light steam of water. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #3382 on: October 22, 2019, 08:37:20 am »

Thanks Mr. Poseidon- I'll give it hell this weekend.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3383 on: October 24, 2019, 05:25:21 pm »
Hold on to your hats.... hell just froze over.....

I have a date- it is this Saturday.  My mechanic friend is coming over to help (well, more than help) with some real/serious maintenance:

• Replace air filter (never done, me)
    • Throttle body sync (never done)
    • Valve check/adjust (never done)
    • Reset chain tensioner? (never done)
    • Replace cam position sensor O ring (never done)
    • Inspect/replace spark plugs (never done)
    • Check/tighten all header bolts (never done, me)
    • Replace coolant (never done, me?)
    • Inspect/clean fuel filter (maybe, probably not due to time. never done)
    • Repair panel near grip heater control (all me)
    • Clean grime/oil off front of engine (me)
    • Change engine oil and filter (1yr, 8K mi now, me)
    • Change final drive oil (1yr, 8K mi now, me)

I am at about 44,000 miles, and 8.5 years.  Have murph's complete kit, air filter, all the liquids.  Not sure what will happen with shims (since there are none local, he wants to perhaps grind them, he has a near-machine shop in his garage) but the bike might have to sit for several days waiting on them.

Only current symptoms- rough/inconsistent idle, some power reduction and hesitation.  Hopefully this overdue stuff will help...

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3384 on: October 24, 2019, 06:02:57 pm »

Hopefully this overdue stuff will help...

Hopefully?
I would say get a tighter grip on the grips when you twist that right hand.
Do not try to live forever on this earth. You will not succeed.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3385 on: October 24, 2019, 06:36:34 pm »
grind them?  aren't they surface hardened?
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3386 on: October 24, 2019, 07:52:22 pm »
grind them?  aren't they surface hardened?

That was my thought and I asked him when he suggested it.  He said he could tell when grinding.  I don't know how.  Doesn't sound safe to me.  I think I would rather just order them.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3387 on: October 25, 2019, 12:49:25 pm »
All this done in a day? 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #3388 on: October 25, 2019, 02:55:16 pm »
Hold on to your hats.... hell just froze over.....

:rotflmao:

Good luck.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3389 on: October 25, 2019, 03:27:11 pm »
All this done in a day?

I wish, but no.  The bike will be down for several days, most likely.  Longer if there are problems.