Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 693045 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #315 on: December 01, 2014, 05:35:19 pm »
The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #316 on: December 01, 2014, 08:01:37 pm »
Every single valve I had to adjust had an aftermarket shim in it. All were too tight. Either the same valves required adjustment again, (doubtful) or the person who did the last adjustment was trying to get the absolute minimum lash. Why in the name of Connie would someone do that? A valve that's a little loose is INFINITELY better than one that is a little tight. GRRRRR. >:(
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #317 on: December 02, 2014, 03:55:53 am »
Every single valve I had to adjust had an aftermarket shim in it. All were too tight. Either the same valves required adjustment again, (doubtful) or the person who did the last adjustment was trying to get the absolute minimum lash. Why in the name of Connie would someone do that? A valve that's a little loose is INFINITELY better than one that is a little tight. GRRRRR. >:(
:o Backwards thinking. Might as well sync the throttle bodies while your in there.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #318 on: December 04, 2014, 06:05:16 am »
Swapped out the stock AGM lump for a Battery Tender LiFE unit.  Dropped 6 pounds like a bad habit, and she's back to starting quickly again.  Granted, that would happen just swapping in any new battery in place of a dead one, but given the size and weight of the new unit, I'm pleasantly surprised.  No issues running the heated grips and seat, although I've taken to cutting both of those off when I'm 3-5 minutes from my destination, just so I'm not draining the battery unnecessarily right before shutting the bike off.  Might help, might not, but it makes sense in my head, so I'll keep doing it.

Using the included foam wedges to make the new unit fit in the space for the old one was less than optimal.  I don't understand why they don't just make a 'racing' version that is reduced size so you can eliminate the battery tray on a race bike, and a 'road' version that weighs maybe an ounce more, but comes in a plastic shell that is the same size as an original battery.  Battery hold-down setups are built by the manufacturers for a given size, and swapping in an equally sized, but radically lighter unit would be easier for the consumer.  Just sayin'...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #319 on: December 04, 2014, 07:20:03 am »
Swapped out the stock AGM lump for a Battery Tender LiFE unit.  Dropped 6 pounds like a bad habit, and she's back to starting quickly again.  Granted, that would happen just swapping in any new battery in place of a dead one, but given the size and weight of the new unit, I'm pleasantly surprised.  No issues running the heated grips and seat, although I've taken to cutting both of those off when I'm 3-5 minutes from my destination, just so I'm not draining the battery unnecessarily right before shutting the bike off.  Might help, might not, but it makes sense in my head, so I'll keep doing it.

Using the included foam wedges to make the new unit fit in the space for the old one was less than optimal.  I don't understand why they don't just make a 'racing' version that is reduced size so you can eliminate the battery tray on a race bike, and a 'road' version that weighs maybe an ounce more, but comes in a plastic shell that is the same size as an original battery.  Battery hold-down setups are built by the manufacturers for a given size, and swapping in an equally sized, but radically lighter unit would be easier for the consumer.  Just sayin'...

When I google that all I get are battery tenders. Are your referring to something like a Shorai LFX battery? $229 on Shoraipower.com. Been wondering if it is worth it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #320 on: December 04, 2014, 07:23:06 am »
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #321 on: December 04, 2014, 07:26:50 am »

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #322 on: December 04, 2014, 07:32:15 am »
If enough interest is generate,  it would be easy for me to whip up PVC spacers for the battery to sit in

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #323 on: December 04, 2014, 08:10:14 am »
This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-BTL14A240C-Lithium-Phosphate/dp/B00F9LPJ8S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417702942&sr=8-3&keywords=LFX21A6-BS12

$97.53!! Suddenly Lithium Iron battery starts to make sense.

That one exactly, bought on Amazon.  It is TINY.  I have pictures on my phone, but no cell phone signal here in the dungeon at work, but the amount of empty space around the battery is rather mindblowing.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #324 on: December 06, 2014, 12:44:15 am »
Today I totally messed up my windshield trying to tint it and now I gotta buy a new one. I am a lil pissed least to say.
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #325 on: December 06, 2014, 04:18:54 am »
Law of unintended consequences strikes again...
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #326 on: December 06, 2014, 06:01:45 am »
Today I totally messed up my windshield trying to tint it and now I gotta buy a new one. I am a lil pissed least to say.

Been there done that. I tried to tint a spare shield and the spray valve on the rattle can started to sputter, messing up my attempt at a nice even coat. It pissed me off and I ended up blacking out the shield entirely. I ended up cutting it down after that and here's the result.

A fine shield for warm temps.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tomp

« Reply #327 on: December 06, 2014, 12:20:36 pm »
Try using plasti-dip on the inside of the screen.  If you don't like it, just peel it off. 

Found this video this AM.  Thought I would share.  No, no Concours in it, but worth the time to view. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk-R0QjGUVQ
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Jim H

« Reply #328 on: December 14, 2014, 12:39:42 pm »
  Finally got around to putting the 2" pull back risers on and the BDF low fuel override!  Both went on without a hitch! 

Offline tomp

« Reply #329 on: December 14, 2014, 12:47:30 pm »
Rode a while yesterday, and was going to ride again longer today, since we had 0% chance of rain, but it's been raining a while now.  No reason to go out in it, as people get crazy when there's moisture on the ground here...  Hope those who can get out today will do so. . . tp
Living in the Texas Coast...