Author Topic: Bestem Top Boxes  (Read 7469 times)

Offline Jiffy Bumpit

Bestem Top Boxes
« on: June 17, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »
Hey y'all,

I'm a new member to the forum. I only had about 3-4 posts on the old forum before it crashed. Anyways, I had bought a 2009 Connie (ABS and in the superfast Black) back in April and the farklin has begun. Back on topic. When I was a Burgman owner I was turned on to Bestem top boxes. They make a 41liter box that comes in 4 colors (Black, Silver, Red and a dark Blue that was almost identical to my Suzuki's Blue). You get them on ebay from 'cruiserbackrest'. Thay are 69.99 + 20 shipping. They are very good build quality and I had my box on the Burgman for 3 years. I was going to buy one for the connie and found their 929 box. It's non-painted (Black ABS plastic) but it's 46 liters. Same price! I just thought I would pass this info along. Oh, both boxes have bult in LED lights (not terribly bright though).

Offline Jiffy Bumpit

Re: Bestem Top Boxes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
More pics.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »
How did you mount it?

Offline firetruck41

• No pictures means No Posting
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »
this is the E55, the largest they make. let's try this, new trunk and murphs bar risers.
2011 connie. silver
corbin seat on order
motorcycle larry lowers.murphys risers
Givi E55 mono-key. passenger peg lowers

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
It looks almost exactly like the JC Whitney/Sears box.  Can the 46 liter hold two helmets?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:30:54 PM »
It pretty much is a JC whitney top box, Dad has the bestem and I have the JC Whitney, a little different on the outside and the bestem has a brake light built into it where the JC doesnt (but you can make it have em like I did)  All in all I like both, and both are the same thing.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:02:31 AM »
this is the E55, the largest they make. let's try this, new trunk and murphs bar risers.

Sexy looking bike FT! Lose that potato launcher though bro...  ;)

Offline booger

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 06:12:57 AM »
I went with the kawasaki/givi box because I just couldn't bear putting a $69 dollar box on my C-14.

I am used to the box and bags on my Road King, which are a lot more substantial than these.

Upon inspection of my new (used) box, I would by a JCW or Bestem.  They are about the same quality and fit as the kwak/givi.

Offline Jiffy Bumpit

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »
It looks almost exactly like the JC Whitney/Sears box.  Can the 46 liter hold two helmets?

I think it depends on the helmet size/style . I wear a Scorpion EXO 900. Plus I have a big tater  :). I don't think 2 of those helmets would fit.

Offline Jiffy Bumpit

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »
How did you mount it?

The Bestem comes with a 'Universal' mounting plate with hardware and 2 brackets. What I did was get 2 pieces of scrap aluminum flat bar 1.25" wide X .25" thick X 12.1875" long. (3/8" flat bar would have been better). Anyways, since the grab handles have a taper towards the rear, the two pieces have to be cut and trimmed to different lengths. I transferred the bolt pattern of the OE luggage rack to the flat bar; drilled the holes with one of thosed 'stepped' quick bits (since I didn't have a bit that would drill a 'squared' off hole), then I drilled and tapped 4 5/16ths holes in the flat bar for the bolts (grade 8 that I bought from Advanced auto). Since the flat bar was only a 1/4" thick I had to use 4 1/2" flat washers underneath them to shim them flush with the grab rails.

Offline Jiffy Bumpit

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
More pics

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »
Nice and affordable.  I really like my Givi E55 and willbe putting lights in it eventually but that looks like a very good way have a suitable box on a budget. 

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 10:20:09 AM »
Q:  Anyone install the Bestem or JCW with Phil's rack?

The price is so low hard not to buy it and try it....
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline mfglideman

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 05:24:34 PM »
I had the Bestem on a V strom. cheap is what it is. Functional, but I wouldnt put it on my Connie. Givi E55NT is the trunk of choice.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 07:14:12 PM »
I bit and ordered one.  It may not look as slick as the Givi's, but its not atrocious by any means either and can't complain for the price.  Thanks for the pics and writeup on the bracket too.  Looks straightforward enough, but its still nice to see someone else's work to go off of. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline firetruck41

• No pictures means No Posting
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »
Ditto' Glideman
2011 connie. silver
corbin seat on order
motorcycle larry lowers.murphys risers
Givi E55 mono-key. passenger peg lowers

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 12:49:07 PM »
Still likin' my Sears/JCW box which looks suspiciously like the Bestem.  Fits great with the Phil's rack too.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »
I just got mine last week and mounted it up and so far I like it.  Sure the lock mechanism isn't the smoothest in the world, but it works and is tight.  Overall the quality seems good and since I only plan on using it on trips, I don't care that its not color matched.  Isn't black fastest anyways?  Perhaps it will give me a few extra mph  :P

For under $90 shipped including the mounting plate I can't complain. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 06:31:10 PM »
I also have the JCW Box and love it! I only use it for trips and it does the job.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »
Isn't black fastest anyways?  Perhaps it will give me a few extra mph  :P

:thumbs: 8)