Author Topic: Best Windscreen for the Connie  (Read 21097 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Best Windscreen for the Connie
« on: November 13, 2014, 09:56:35 AM »
What's the best windscreen for the Connie? I am looking for something that reduces the noise and turbulence I get on the highway. I currently have the VStream but have changed some other things (raised the bars and my seat has changed) so the VStream is "shorter" than it was when I first bought it (if that makes sense)??? I am 6'1 and sit pretty tall when riding so I need something that will calm and quiet things down for me. I know a lot of you have tested different windscreens and configurations of windscreens so I want to hear what you think is the best setup for a rider of my height.

I was looking at Cee Baileys and their "Extra Tall Ultra Tour Dome" looks like it may be what I'm looking for but I was hoping to hear from you guys before buying it.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Re: Best Windscreen for the Connie
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 11:50:05 AM »
IMHO you need to take part in this: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=914.0
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline robinmdanner

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »
I just took a chance on a medium Aeroflow...and I'll tell you something..I was left speechless relative to the difference this screen made to turbulence and wind. I too installed 2" risers and needed better than a stocker. Riding behind the Aeroflow has COMPLETELY changed my driving experience at any speed. I highly recommend it.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 02:00:22 PM »
I just took a chance on a medium Aeroflow...and I'll tell you something..I was left speechless relative to the difference this screen made to turbulence and wind. I too installed 2" risers and needed better than a stocker. Riding behind the Aeroflow has COMPLETELY changed my driving experience at any speed. I highly recommend it.

How tall are you?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
I am pretty happy with the Cal Sci I bought a few years ago.  at the time it was their 'Large' but I think they changed their sizing.  I'll measure it when I get home this afternoon and tell you.  I'm 6'2" and had a V stream as well.   It felt like some one was pushing my head forward.  As a matter of fact I think it's my old V Stream that's making the rounds in the try a windshield for free thread. 

Offline robinmdanner

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 02:50:56 PM »
I'm 5'7". Screen full down I get all the wind I want....about 3" up and no more wind. At that height, I have a large, FULL oversight to the road above the windshield line.  I too was hesitant because the Aeroflow is a bit pricey...but I'm glad I did..its worth every penny. They offer a short, medium, and a tall

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:55:07 PM »
I'm 5'7". Screen full down I get all the wind I want....about 3" up and no more wind. At that height, I have a large, FULL oversight to the road above the windshield line.  I too was hesitant because the Aeroflow is a bit pricey...but I'm glad I did..its worth every penny. They offer a short, medium, and a tall
So if you put it all the way up are you looking through the windscreen?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline robinmdanner

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 03:20:21 PM »
Yes....But there is no advantage really to do that...all deflection occurs at a much lower position. I think what this screen accomplishes is a testament to aerodynamics.

Offline clogan

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 04:56:37 PM »
Best?

Very subjective. Best for me is the stock shield off an '08 that a generous member gave me.
Would this be best for you? Probably not. Just have to try some, and see what you like. But I like the shorter stock shield from '08-'09. YMMV

FWIW, I'm 6' even, 32" inseam, 200 lbs.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline texrider

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »
The shape and style of helmet has much to do with how the air treats you, as well.
I use both sizes of the stock screens and have no problems while wearing full face helmets.
Have had issues with other types of helmets.
Your mileage may vary  8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Gsun

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 05:49:30 PM »
I have tried the Cal Sci (second favorite), Cee Bailys, MRA, stock, VStream, but the best is defiantly the Aeroflow. As Robindanner said, put it up a few inches and you are good. No need to go all the way up. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »
How tall are you?

Standing height has little to do with windshield airflow and where air hits the driver.  It is about torso length, arm length, sitting position, seat type and height, and grip position (type of risers).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline robinmdanner

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 08:24:11 PM »
I agree...Maxtog and I share very similar physical dimensions as we sit on this bike...In addition, I wear an HJC IS-17 Helmet...With 2" Heli-risers and a stock seat...the stocker shield did not provide nearly enough vertical deflection for my taste on any long road trip. Way too much rumble. I will say again, I was amazed and damn near speechless once I rode behind the Aeroflow. Silence on Demand if that's what I wished. For those transitioning from a pure sport bike to the Concours or for those with different tastes...a more constant airflow may be desired in which case the stocker may work just fine. I think that's the beauty of making the bike you ride  something that is unique to you. I probably won't look back from the Aeroflow...

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 09:04:56 PM »
The best windscreen for me is the one that keeps my helmet in the clean air above the screen.  The wind hits at just about my chest and I get no buffeting.  Just clean air flow.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 05:22:36 AM »
I have tried the Cal Sci (second favorite), Cee Bailys, MRA, stock, VStream, but the best is defiantly the Aeroflow. As Robindanner said, put it up a few inches and you are good. No need to go all the way up.

Did you go with standard, medium or tall?

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »
Cal-Sci without a doubt. The low profile provides excellent wind protection
and looks the best out of all the other shields.

I also went with the tint

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline Gsun

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »

Did you go with standard, medium or tall?

Not sure - I bought it from a member. I could measure. I don't know how much difference it would make as I only put it up a few inches and it works. Never have it more than halfway up.

Just measured. It's a medium.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »
Not sure - I bought it from a member. I could measure. I don't know how much difference it would make as I only put it up a few inches and it works. Never have it more than halfway up.

Just measured. It's a medium.

Thanks  :finger_fing11: :chugbeer:

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 11:16:47 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys! I've made my decision and went with the Aeroflow Tall...placed the order to day!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 06:31:52 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys! I've made my decision and went with the Aeroflow Tall...placed the order to day!
Give us a report with your impressions once you've put a few miles on that screen.