Author Topic: Can't find dash screws on fiche (update: they are actually plastic rivets)  (Read 14272 times)

Offline wandern

The 08/09 left and right dash panels (parts 14091A/B) have several screws on their sides and then a final screw that screws into a panel behind the windscreen.  I've never seen such a crowded Kawi fiche as the one for the Concours (not to mention that the angles on some of the parts make them impossible to identify).

The L/R dash panel screw that's only accessible by removing the windscreen is missing on both sides but for the life of me I can't figure out what part number to order.

Would anyone happen to have removed those and be familiar with what they are, or have psychic abilities and be able to find them on the fiche?

Kawasaki's parts diagram system is broken right now, but here's the Ron Ayers page:
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Cowling%28Upper%29/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/50/Year/2009/ModelID/8422/Model/Concours_14_ABS_%28ZG1400-A9F%29/GroupID/404271/Group/Cowling%28Upper%29
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:16:59 PM by wandern »

Offline AKwhite

Re: Can't find dash screws on fiche
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:10:05 PM »
The part you are looking for might be one of the rivets, look for part no. 92039A on the drawing close to the windshield   ;)

This one's not using an M5 screw but a plastic river instead.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:52:13 AM »
Yeah, plastic rivets which you remove by pushing the centre pin in to release.  I've removed them permantly from mine - just in case I ever get stuck with a KIPASS issue as you can't remove the rivets if the screen is right down but you can remove the screws and roll that black cover up and inwards to access the plug.  I have a lightly tinted screen so you can't see that the rivets are not there.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline wandern

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:25:43 AM »
AkWhite: perfect.  I was able to track down some threads on this.  I found some USA-made rivets on ebay for a reasonable price that I'm going to try.

Freddy: I want to replace them because the dash panel is vibrating in that area.  I carry a 5mm allen key so I can remove the windscreen if I need to get to the rivets again to remove them.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 05:51:50 PM »
Yeah mine vibrates there too but as I wear ear plugs when riding I don't notice it at all.   ;D
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline jonathan

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 09:04:38 AM »
AkWhite: perfect.  I was able to track down some threads on this.  I found some USA-made rivets on ebay for a reasonable price that I'm going to try.

What size are they because I need to replace a couple?

Offline wandern

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:15:57 PM »
What size are they because I need to replace a couple?

I ordered 6mm.  I'll post an update here once they arrive and I've installed them.

Offline wandern

I ordered these 6mm plastic rivets off of ebay and they are a perfect match for the OEM part (and much less expensive):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fender-Rivets-ATV-6mm-Suzuki-Kawasaki-Ozark-Vinson-LTZ-/140397914550?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b05e29b6

Offline rcannon409

I found these rivets at Rocky Mountain atv.  I hope its ok to show a link as I dotn work there or have any sort of interest in the place.  http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=117&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&keyword=rivets&prodFamilyId=17175

Offline wandern

I found these rivets at Rocky Mountain atv.  I hope its ok to show a link as I dotn work there or have any sort of interest in the place.  http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=117&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&keyword=rivets&prodFamilyId=17175

That link is for 8mm rivets (6mm is the correct size for this application).

They also have 6mm available, however.

I ordered from ebay because Rocky Mountain wanted $7 to ship which negated the lower base price.  I suppose if you were ordering several packages it might be a better price.  They also couldn't tell me where the rivets were made and I wasn't chancing getting Chinese ones.

Offline rcannon409

Good point on the 6mm vs 8mm.  I bought a few packs of each to cover all the bikes I have.  7.00 for shipping stung  a  bit, though.

For an emergency, Auto Zone sells some that will work.  They look a little different, but are 6mm plastic rivets.  I THINK they were for Nissan cars, but may have been Toyota.

Offline MrFurious

Perfect timing on this as one of mine up and disappeared.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline MCP

Re: Can't find dash screws on fiche (update: they are actually plastic rivets)
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »
I realize this is an old thread but I'm wondering if the discussion here relates to the problem I have. I'm looking for 2 plastic rivets that mount in the dash behind the screen.

I have a 2012, I purchased used, and I see they are missing, or somethings missing. Is there a better, easier fix than these rivets. I don't mind ordering them, I just want to be right.

Also, is there a list of rivets and any links where I can buy 2 or 3 of various types?

Thanks

Here is a picture, sorry for the quality.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline jwh20

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 02:11:23 PM »
I'll note that you can also find a reasonable facsimile of these at many auto parts stores.  There is nothing special about them.  Just plastic push rivets.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 02:51:48 PM »
One of mine is broken and i just ordered a box of these, they look like the same thing and have the correct sizing. I'll see when they get here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391003952499

Offline MCP

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »
2talltim,

Would you mind posting here either way, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »
Yup no problem.

sailor_chic

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 03:28:56 PM »
I have used those rivets with great success.  I actually prefer them over the stock rivets.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »
2talltim,

Would you mind posting here either way, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

They are a great fit, acually fit tighter than the original prob because the original has been off 20 times.
Sorry for the crappy pic they were taken with my phone but basicly one is the old and one is the new. Can you tell the difference?