Author Topic: Rostra cruise control, Connecting the cable to the throttle?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
Rostra cruise control, Connecting the cable to the throttle?
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »
I am getting started on the install of the Rostra cruise control and am very thankful for all the information on the site.
One thing I can't find any information on is why or how it was decided to attach the cruise cable to the throttle.
In Brian's write up the cruise cable was only installed to pull the throttle down in a linear fashion and not to follow the throttle cable and rotate the throttle in the same manor. obviously there is a mechanical challenge to make the cruise pull the throttle the same way the throttle cable does but if that could be corrected wouldn't operate better that way?

What kind of control issues are being seen with the different methods of the cruise cable connection to the throttle? 
Has anybody experimented with different configurations and what was your result?
Is it better to lengthen the arm and connecting the cruise cable further out from the throttle?
What have been your experience with that type of connection?
The Rostra has 41mm of travel on the cable is it best to try use the maximum amount of that travel for better operation of the cruise?

Sorry that is a bunch of questions, just trying to figure out the best way to make that connection.

Thanks, Wayne

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Rostra cruise control, Connecting the cable to the throttle?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »
I drilled and taped as far out on the arm as I could for a small screw (sorry don't have a pic) then installed with loctite. Works great. I have no idea how it could function better.

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 08:28:04 PM »
Thanks good to hear,only want to do this once so i really appreciate the feedback.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 01:01:10 PM »
I am getting started on the install of the Rostra cruise control and am very thankful for all the information on the site.
One thing I can't find any information on is why or how it was decided to attach the cruise cable to the throttle.
In Brian's write up the cruise cable was only installed to pull the throttle down in a linear fashion and not to follow the throttle cable and rotate the throttle in the same manor. obviously there is a mechanical challenge to make the cruise pull the throttle the same way the throttle cable does but if that could be corrected wouldn't operate better that way?

What kind of control issues are being seen with the different methods of the cruise cable connection to the throttle? 
Has anybody experimented with different configurations and what was your result?
Is it better to lengthen the arm and connecting the cruise cable further out from the throttle?
What have been your experience with that type of connection?
The Rostra has 41mm of travel on the cable is it best to try use the maximum amount of that travel for better operation of the cruise?

Sorry that is a bunch of questions, just trying to figure out the best way to make that connection.

Thanks, Wayne

That is one of the main questions I had as well. I was of the opinion that some sort of curved arm that would hold the cable to convert the linear pull of the Rostra into a rotational movement would be best. BDF (Brian Felice) convinced me with a very rational argument (we were not arguing, perhaps I should say "educational treatise"? {yeah, so where is that info? I'm still searching, might be on the other forum?}) as to why that is not needed, or rather there is very little to be gained at best.
 Several have extended the throttle arm (myself included) and are of the opinion that it makes a smoother CC response. However I think it is doubtful that very many of us have tried other's bikes with a Rostra CC to compare it to, I know I haven't.

my install