Author Topic: Winter stir crazy  (Read 10618 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Winter stir crazy
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 06:02:57 AM »
  • Prepare snowblower - make sure it works and pump up the tires
  • Prepare grandson
  • Tell daughter to park parallel to the truck with enough room for the snowblower to drive through
  • Park vehicles nose to tail with the truck so that I can clean the driveway off tomorrow morning
  • Find snow shovels
  • Wish I had bought that extra salt and snow removal brush
  • Get winter clothes out of closet in preparation for the event
That was plan A.  Plan B is:

• Oh  :censored: :yikes: , that's more snow than I've ever seen.  Do nothing but look at it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 06:41:26 AM »
We get that all the time up here: 12" to a foot.

Just got dumped on yesterday and supposed to be another 3" coming tomorrow for dessert. Temps. last night were -6F, and below zero when I got up this am at 7:00. This is turning out to be a hard (Easy Boys!) winter, colder than most with more snowfall. Boston got more than 6 feet of snow in 30 days, which is a new all- time record.

I was kind of waiting for the wind to die down a bit before I started to blow out the driveway / backyard but apparently that's not going to happen. :-(  I hate snowblowing when it is windy outside....

Brian

Snow coming here.  Could be up to a foot.  Putting snow plan A into effect.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 06:47:58 AM »
  • Prepare snowblower - make sure it works and pump up the tires
  • Prepare grandson
  • Tell daughter to park parallel to the truck with enough room for the snowblower to drive through
  • Park vehicles nose to tail with the truck so that I can clean the driveway off tomorrow morning
  • Find snow shovels
  • Wish I had bought that extra salt and snow removal brush
  • Get winter clothes out of closet in preparation for the event
That was plan A.  Plan B is:

• Oh  :censored: :yikes: , that's more snow than I've ever seen.  Do nothing but look at it.

What about stocking up on those all important adult beverages?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 06:50:36 AM »
We get that all the time up here: 12" to a foot.

Just got dumped on yesterday and supposed to be another 3" coming tomorrow for dessert. Temps. last night were -6F, and below zero when I got up this am at 7:00. This is turning out to be a hard (Easy Boys!) winter, colder than most with more snowfall. Boston got more than 6 feet of snow in 30 days, which is a new all- time record.

I was kind of waiting for the wind to die down a bit before I started to blow out the driveway / backyard but apparently that's not going to happen. :-(  I hate snowblowing when it is windy outside....

Brian

That whole "Global Warming"  thing must not apply to the entire planet.  Except in the summer.

I suppose "Daylight Saving"  thing is the Government's way of combating "Global Darkening" .   
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 08:49:20 AM »
What about stocking up on those all important adult beverages?

Pretty much stocked, C.  That would be the least of my worries.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 09:05:22 AM »

That whole "Global Warming"  thing must not apply to the entire planet.  Except in the summer.

I suppose "Daylight Saving"  thing is the Government's way of combating "Global Darkening" .   
I like that.

Offline Leo

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »
Living in Indiana is killing me, literally.  It is making a bunch of cardiologists wealthy.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »
I worked Sunday and it never got above 3F, I stopped wearing a coat as its a pain at work, it wasn't bad as long as the wind was down, and yesterday at 13F and sun, it was downright warm!
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:07 PM »
I worked Sunday and it never got above 3F, I stopped wearing a coat as its a pain at work, it wasn't bad as long as the wind was down, and yesterday at 13F and sun, it was downright warm!

Amazing we can joke about temps of anything ABOVE zero being "Nice" isn't it Dave?
Heheheh, man, here in P'ville it just keeps on chillin'.  Heatwave co in this weekend, we might see some temps on the plus side....
Did you see that big apartment fire here last week, wwhen it was below zero? Those guys were having serious problems with stuff freez in up, I couldn't say they were having fun at all on that one....
Man, stay safe ....still snowing here on the shore....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 01:41:52 PM »
Yeah rich, I'm not kidding about walking around in the sun in short sleeves in 13F yesterday. A fire when its below freezing takes planning to fight, a fire when its below zero is dangerous. Being the pump operator, I don't go inside anymore, so initially I run around outside and then stand, sometimes for a few hours next to the truck. The guys inside have their own special problems. Anybody who works outside when its this cold knows what I mean, its planning. I still like my job though.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 04:37:27 AM »
Sounds like the guys up north are suffering from "PMS", or Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.  AKA Non-Motion sickness.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 05:20:41 AM »
My wife and I just for back after renting a cabin up in Hazelhurst, Wisconsin (The North Woods) over the last 5 days for some serious snowmobiling fun.

The cabin was beautiful and located right in the middle of some of the best snowmobile trails around. We were having a fantastic time, just the two of us, till her sled ate it's cooling fan belt and overheated out in the middle of nowhere, right next to a frozen waterfall (it was 8f below at the time).   :o

I ended up having to tow her sled to the nearest 'main road' (thank goodness for my handheld GPS) and leave it there while we rode two up on my sled back to the cabin to pick up the truck and trailer. As it turns out, even though we were in the middle of snowmobile heaven with tons of snowmobile shops around, no one had the belt that I needed and even a belt that was close to the OEM wouldn't work (our sleds are a bit old but ran great till then).   >:(

We still made the best of it and rode two up on my sled for the rest of the time.   :)

What a beautiful area!!!!

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 05:53:37 AM »
Sounds like fun except for the cold and the snow and the breakdown.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 06:16:18 AM »
There is a solution, buy a KTM. When I was on way from FL to ride Moab/Death Valley/Sonora to ride, I heard it was snowing in the Rockies and detoured up there to see snow.  The folks asked me to stay and ride as it began to snow hard.

My KTM

So I asked "ride in the snow, how the hell i do that"

They took me to the local stealership and showed me a simple accessory they use 

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 06:38:37 AM »
Sounds like fun except for the cold and the snow and the breakdown.

+1.           :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »
There is a solution, buy a KTM. When I was on way from FL to ride Moab/Death Valley/Sonora to ride, I heard it was snowing in the Rockies and detoured up there to see snow.  The folks asked me to stay and ride as it began to snow hard.

My KTM

So I asked "ride in the snow, how the hell i do that"

They took me to the local stealership and showed me a simple accessory they use 

The right tool for the job is not a KTM, unless they're making snowmobiles now?    :)

Snowmobiles are the only vehicles allowed on the trails.

http://www.snowmobileeagleriver.com/map.pdf

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 12:45:15 PM »
^^^^i dunno, they use this stuff somewhere up there.  I just saw it i didn;t ride.  Also they showed me studded motorcycle snow tires they said they use to race motorcycles on ice.

I'm a FL boy, I do the sand tires in FL, when I'm out west on my KTM i run a trials tire in the back for the extreme rocks

i liked living on the edge....   (of all the cliffs), I was glad to be away from the snow!!  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
Also they showed me studded motorcycle snow tires they said they use to race motorcycles on ice.

I have a buddy that has raced on Pikes Peak in the snow in the winter by using screws in his tires. He was on a KTM BTW  ;) I think its nuts but would love to watch.