Author Topic: What are your vacation (read: bike riding) plans this summer?  (Read 12576 times)

Offline Doenitz

Re: What are your vacation (read: bike riding) plans this summer?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 08:34:13 am »
Too cold for that.  "ten feet of snow at the time"

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:06 am »
I'm packing up my camping gear on my 06 C10 and heading to the American West for 6 mos beginning mid April. I've been riding and camping in the West since 1975. I rode out to The North Rim and to Yellowstone on a Suzuki GT750, the Water Buffalo and I was hooked. I've made many trips to the West since then but the constant has always been limited time. The longest trip has been 5 weeks but most have been 2 or 3 weeks with a few 1 week trips to Colorado, even a  1 week trip to Idaho and back. This time I will have time, as much as I can stand, I'm planning on 6 mos I could make it more.
I'm not planning a route, I'm not planning destinations, I'm just researching possibilities and I'll make my decisions daily as to where and when.

Hope you all enjoy your rides this summer, I'm looking forward to having a blast.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline LessPaul

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 12:18:25 pm »
Sounds awesome, Roadhound!

I'll be headed to Cortez with the COGgers this June for a week. And I'm trying to put together at least a 3-4 day trip with my son. Probably a Michigan UP ride.

I've got 4 weeks of vacation and another week of personal time to work with. Trouble is I'll be tempted to spend as much of it as I can riding, but have a wife that breaks out in hives even looking at my bike. She'd sooner have a hysterectomy, using a butter knife and no anesthesia, than take a ride around the block with me. And no, it's not me.  :-X  It's the bike.

I'll also be turning 60 this August, and am literally counting the days until I can retire.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 12:36:18 pm »
Judy and I (retired last year) are planning to attend the COG National in Cortez.
(We vacation at the National almost every year, and then see what is nearby to use it as a "side trip" on our way home.)
Haven't decided on our side trip yet.

If all goes as planned; After we return from Cortez (and rest), we're planning to fly to Germany to ride with this years "Over the Pond Traveler".
While there we'll meet the Past (GCE) "OtP "Travelers in Germany etc and stay with a few.

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:37:36 am by connie_rider »

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
  • Mid Flowriduh a.a.d.
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 06:47:13 pm »
I'm packing up my camping gear on my 06 C10 and heading to the American West for 6 mos beginning mid April. I've been riding and camping in the West since 1975. I rode out to The North Rim and to Yellowstone on a Suzuki GT750, the Water Buffalo and I was hooked. I've made many trips to the West since then but the constant has always been limited time. The longest trip has been 5 weeks but most have been 2 or 3 weeks with a few 1 week trips to Colorado, even a  1 week trip to Idaho and back. This time I will have time, as much as I can stand, I'm planning on 6 mos I could make it more.
I'm not planning a route, I'm not planning destinations, I'm just researching possibilities and I'll make my decisions daily as to where and when.

Hope you all enjoy your rides this summer, I'm looking forward to having a blast.

:thumbs:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
'99 Conk: 227k mi, '98 KLR650 back from Cal
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 14 year member)

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 07:17:22 pm »
Riding from home outside Anchorage Alaska to Bellingham with Brother-in-Law. Son meeting me there and we are traveling through Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah before heading back to Bellingham. Solo back home in Alaska.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 07:56:52 pm »
Riding from home outside Anchorage Alaska to Bellingham with Brother-in-Law. Son meeting me there and we are traveling through Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah before heading back to Bellingham. Solo back home in Alaska.
Sounds like a little bit more than a long weekend, huh? :thumbs:
Do not try to live forever on this earth. You will not succeed.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 08:09:41 pm »

Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 06:45:30 pm »
Sounds like a little bit more than a long weekend, huh? :thumbs:

Allowing 5 weeks. I will be leaving one bike, probably the Concours in Bellingham so I can do some solo touring over the next few years. Decided to give the new KTM 1290 Super Adventure a try. Just hope it gets here before I plan on leaving for the trip end of May.

Offline atilla457

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 02:07:30 pm »
Planning to ride from San Francisco to Sturgis and back, in the first week of august.  sturgis is in bucket list, so I'll see it for a few days and back.  Other than that, just day or overnight rides for me this year.
2009 Concours 14 ABS - Black

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 08:26:02 pm »
Leaving in a couple of weeks after a wedding in Ohio & heading down to stay at Ironhorse for a few days of riding. Looks like we'll be running south on 75 to Knoxville then picking up 129 to IronHorse. I need the help of some locals to find a better (meaning not on the Dragon on a Sunday afternoon) way to get there if possible. I'll have 1 bike on the truck & pulling another behind. Thanks in advance with any help you can give me.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 08:12:12 am »
Too hot this summer.  Waiting for fall weather before any trips can be made.  99% humidity with heat index of 105 means the body can't cool from evaporation.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 02:00:01 pm »
Judy and I (retired last year) are planning to attend the COG National in Cortez.
(We vacation at the National almost every year, and then see what is nearby to use it as a "side trip" on our way home.)
Haven't decided on our side trip yet.

If all goes as planned; After we return from Cortez (and rest), we're planning to fly to Germany to ride with this years "Over the Pond Traveler".
While there we'll meet the Past (GCE) "OtP "Travelers in Germany etc and stay with a few.

Ride safe, Ted

Departing home (Houston) Wednesday to meet Al and Charlie in Frankfurt Germany.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2015, 10:49:36 am »
Just finished a week of riding the Colorado Rockies with my son and 2 of my brothers. No new roads, I think I've ridden every paved mountain road in Colorado but did find a few new breweries. Unfortunately I wasn't on my C14 but my old 97 Valkyrie borrowed from my son-in-law. Had a blast except for 20 minutes in Wolf Creek Pass riding on hail covered roads going down hill. Couldn't stop, just had to make sure we didn't slow down, speed up or any turn other than the turn of the road. All four made it down without misshap. Luckily there was a nice brew pub restaurant in Pagosa Springs called Riff Raff Brewing to sooth our nerves. I'd add some pic but no Concours and mostly just the four of us at various brew pubs. Nice vacation!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2015, 01:08:23 pm »
Heading to the Smokies this Sunday.