Author Topic: Ceramic coating the headers?  (Read 6682 times)

Offline Lodogg2221

Ceramic coating the headers?
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »
Ok, so the heat issue is well known, and since I like to figure out possible solutions if they exist, I got to wondering about having the headers ceramic coated.
I know it reduces underhood temps on cars, so I would imagine it would do the same on the Connie, and there is a LOT of heat coming off of them when she is running and warmed up.
Also I read a number of places where it reduces or eliminates radiated heat, or rather IR heat.  If thats the case as well, Id think that would further reduce the heat under the fairing, as the surrounding pieces would no longer be receiving heat input from the headers once coated.

I had also thought about just wrapping them, but dont want to shorten the life at all, or have issues down the road from the wrap.

Say what?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Ceramic coating the headers?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »
Yes that is one way of helping to reduse the felt heat; not a total fix but it will help to a small degree. Try to find a good shop that will blast and coat the pipes for you without spending an arm and a leg as while it does help it is not a cure all. Another helpful tip is to get as much of the insides of the pipes coated too; I have seen some liquid ceramic coatings that are poured into the pipes. One of the outside the pipe coatings that comes to mind is called "Jett Hott" or something close to that.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:44:46 PM »
There is a place not too far from me that will do it for about $100.  I need to take the pipes down for them to look at first so they know exactly what they will be working with, but they will do the inside too. 

BTW, all the headers for all years are the same arent they?  I was thinking of picking up another set cheap to reduce down time...
Say what?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 07:52:06 PM »
Yes all years are the same...... Only in the last few years did the mufflers change at all and that was just some chrome.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:09:47 PM »
Coating only the inside with ceramic sounds ideal. The pipes run cooler, less heat gets out, and because they're covered by the fairing, you don't care if the outside is coated.

The other thing you can do is move to Canada, then you're glad of the heat.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Equito

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:28:35 PM »
I did it to prevent rust.  Looks great.  Didn't care about heat, so don't have info there.

Offline troyt

• RacingOnTheCheap
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 12:27:18 PM »
I've been running ceramic coatings (inside and out) on my racecar exhausts for years, HUGE difference. Temps taken on the header one inch from the exhaust port of the cylinder head at idle on a warmed up engine: uncoated - 650F, coated - 350F. Lots of upside: better heat scavenging, cooler underhood temps, cooler intake manifold temps, all plastic and rubber parts nearby last longer. Best bang for the buck in my opinion and I can't believe I never thought of doing it on my bike, next time mine is apart I will definitely do this. I have use Jett-Hot twice with good results, also a small local shop that was equally good (but now out of business).
'00 Connie, '06 Tuono
www.RacingOnTheCheap.com

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
I had my pipes coated several years ago. The coating makes a difference, but I have to admit that when it's hot, it's still hot.