Author Topic: I built a rack  (Read 10032 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
I built a rack
« on: March 18, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »
I didn't like what I saw for racks so I built my own. It's the first of many parts to come!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: I built a rack
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 02:57:01 PM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »
Flow jet? NC mill? LASER? Whichever, nice work!

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 03:01:10 PM »
 Thanks.  Old NC mill. The rack is merely a starting point for several other parts I have in the works.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
 :thumbs: The only thing better than having toys is having the tools and know how to make your own toys.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 03:15:38 PM »
NICE!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 03:32:51 PM »
I like the width. It looks like it'll support my dry bag better than the oem size. Are the slots milled through so they can be used as bungie hooks?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 03:38:24 PM »
Yep, and its drilled and tapped to accept MonoKey and MonoLock boxes. It also adjusts fore and aft about 1-1/2 inches.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 03:44:16 PM »
I'm in for one if you hit the market with it at a manageable cost.  :)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 03:54:25 PM »
After I get it powder coated I'd have to get about $170. If that works for you, pm me!    :D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 04:04:08 PM »
PM'ed  :thumbs:

elp_jc

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »
After I get it powder coated I'd have to get about $170.
I'm sure connie_rider wants one too. PM him ;). Looks like you just started a business. Ha ha.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »
I'm sure connie_rider wants one too. PM him ;). Looks like you just started a business. Ha ha.

Thanks for the thought but I would never solicit someone like that. I'm not trying to start a business, I'm simply making some parts for my bike and if others like them I'm thrilled. If someone does want what I build for my bike, I will do what I can to accommodate them.

Trust me, at $170 for a rack that is nearly 10 x 18 inches and 3/8 inch thick, plus mounts, powder coat, and hardware, I won't be buying a Ferrari any time soon.  :)  Or a used pick up either.  ::)  I do this kind of stuff because I enjoy it and if I'm thinking about building cool stuff for my bike, I'm not getting in to trouble. The Devil dreams on an idle horse.....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 06:17:20 PM »

Nice job Dez, wish I had a bridgeport in my garage, but I know Guy young has one...  8)

as for the back rack, I'm good with my trunk, it serves well and has since 7/7/07
now to poke fun.... :D
I know Ted better than that... he's a cheap bastich... :banana
and didn't see him say he wanted one....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I wouldn't quit the day job, so to say... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I picture Ted's counterpart being made from a piece of OSB, he pulled out of a neighbors trash, from an old home theater stand, and hacksawed into shape.. 8) 8) 8)  wood grain contact paper intact, covered with black electrical tape on the edges...:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
but then, in order to evaluate it, you would have to load the bike up, to the max, and actually use the bags and aux components to haul stuff many miles to ascertain it's efficacy...
I know Ted hauls stuff, and does many miles... I just add a trailer to my C14, and can do a beer run for a veritable troop movement... ice included... 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
SOOOoooooooooo when do the parts go on sale? =)
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 06:28:57 PM »
Very nice!
 :thumbs:

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 06:35:06 PM »
It looks like stainless steel or is it aluminum? Either way it is very pretty, why powder coat it?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 06:50:55 PM »
It looks like stainless steel or is it aluminum? Either way it is very pretty, why powder coat it?

looks like Aluminum, from the original photo with the plate in background... appears to be 1/4" stock, I would have acquiesced to pretty much 11 ga (.13") in sheet stock, as it really does not need to be so thick, unless you are tapping threads to hold fasteners...
how much load is this expected to carry? I say putting more than 40# up and back is the limit.. knowing I've carried a case of mega$$$ beer a short distance in my 42L Shad back case.. and many time carried #30 in it for a thousand miles...with Momma leaning against it... asleep... for 500 miles....  8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 07:03:51 PM »
It's made of 3/8 aluminum plate. Raw aluminum certainly has it's place, just not on MY motorcycle.  ;D  I work with aluminum all day, every day, and it is really a pain to keep raw aluminum looking good. I love the look of brushed aluminum but I am not willing to put forth the effort required.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 07:10:14 PM »
SOOOoooooooooo when do the parts go on sale? =)
Mike

If I could get 3 more people to commit to buying one, I could probably ship in about 2 weeks. It's difficult to spend the time and money required to run less that 4 or 5 at a time. I wouldn't necessarily need the $ up front, just a sincere commitment to purchase. I don't believe in paying to finance someone else's endeavor, so I don't expect you to pay for something I can't immediately deliver.