Author Topic: Thinking about trading off the Connie...  (Read 40506 times)

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Thinking about trading off the Connie...
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2015, 11:57:30 am »
Replace the C14 and the Voyager with a Victory Vision Tour? Yeah, belt drive isn't a shaft, but it ain't a chain either. Rode with a guy in January in west Texas that rode one. The twisties didn't slow him down. He hung with the C14s, C10, and the ST1300 no problem. He even took it off pavement a bit (dirt road at the end of TX FM 170 in Candelaria TX.). He and his Vision Tour were very quiet, very visible, and very fast, and had a heck of a lot of storage, and the back seat looked comfy too! Fuel injected, hydraulic lifters, 26.5" seat height, power windshield, heated seats and grips, ABS, cruise control, the looks would take some getting use to, but I was impressed, and I didn't think I'd ever be impressed by a V twin.  Just a thought.

Offline tomp

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 02:01:46 pm »
But they are so damn ugly.  Arlen needs to go back to design school.  Just my opinion, some do like it. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 03:22:55 pm »
But they are so damn ugly.  Arlen needs to go back to design school.  Just my opinion, some do like it.

Ugly indeed.... and I know I could never get past the V-twin part.  But, it is not me who wants to trade the C14!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline tomp

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 06:07:43 pm »
Ugly indeed.... and I know I could never get past the V-twin part.  But, it is not me who wants to trade the C14!
  Not trading my 14 either, but some twins are cool.  KTM, DUC,Aprilia, and even the VStrom and older Honda twins are really nice.  Granted they aren't 45* V Twins with uber long strokes, but still two cylinders.  Super Duke R 1290, and Panigali S 1299 come to mind.  tomp

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 06:21:27 pm »
  Not trading my 14 either, but some twins are cool.  KTM, DUC,Aprilia, and even the VStrom and older Honda twins are really nice.  Granted they aren't 45* V Twins with uber long strokes, but still two cylinders.  Super Duke R 1290, and Panigali S 1299 come to mind.  tomp
mmmm twins....
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline tomp

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2015, 06:25:16 pm »
mmmm twins....
That would make a great desk top wallpaper for my laptop.  Gotta love those twins.  FWIW, I believe that may be why guys ride Harleys, for the twins.  tp

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2015, 07:18:07 pm »
That would make a great desk top wallpaper for my laptop.  Gotta love those twins.  FWIW, I believe that may be why guys ride Harleys, for the twins.  tp

Sheesh, well, there's gotta be some reason.

:P

Offline tomp

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2015, 07:30:17 pm »
Sheesh, well, there's gotta be some reason.

:P

Seems folks everywhere like Harleys.  Just this one forum has over 300,000 members.  Most bike forums would kill to have that kind of participation.  No reason to dis the untold millions who ride and enjoy riding simple, nostalgic motorcycles. 

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/

tp ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2015, 07:38:30 pm »
Seems folks everywhere like Harleys.  Just this one forum has over 300,000 members.  Most bike forums would kill to have that kind of participation. No reason to dis the untold millions who ride and enjoy riding simple, nostalgic motorcycles. 

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/

tp ;D

...until you're stuck behind them in your own personal hell cause you can't pass.... 8)
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline tomp

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2015, 07:46:28 pm »
...until you're stuck behind them in your own personal hell cause you can't pass.... 8)
You guys are hilarious.  Spoke with a DL1000 owner this PM, and we agreed that all motorcycle are fun to ride.  Limiting oneself with motorcycles is like dating only blondes.  LOTS TO BE SAID FOR BRUNETTES AND REDHEADS...

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2015, 07:49:14 pm »
I have ridden many of the Victory lineup.  The Vision is a great handling bike.  The looks are out there, and the ergonomics lock you into that cruiser riding position.  Nearest dealer is 80 moles away. 

When you start getting in the low $20k on bikes there becomes a lot of choices.  I'd probably get a fully loaded R1200GS water boxer.  The suspension is amazing on the latest model, and plenty of power. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2015, 07:52:57 pm »

Your on a concours, you don't get stuck behind anyone unless you choose to. 

When I want to ride casual and enjoy the scenery, I'd rather be on a cruiser.  Riding the concours at the speed limit is boring at best, and excruciating at worst.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2015, 01:10:46 am »
Seems folks everywhere like Harleys.  Just this one forum has over 300,000 members. 

I think most of them are following a concept, not a product.

Besides, don't discount us.... quality is better than quantity :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2015, 07:50:29 am »
So this will be my one and only Harley Defender post. I DO NOT like the company called Harley Davidson for many reasons (Eric Buell's treatment comes to mind). I love Harleys.  Very much.  I've owned only two of them in my life - a 96 1200 Sportster sport model, and an 06 RoadKing Custom model, but both did their jobs extremely well.  Both were super reliable. 

The image of a greaseball Harley rider wrenching his shovelhead on the side of the road is 35 years out of date.  My bullet proof Sportster went over 100 THOUSAND miles before I destroyed the engine getting cute and looking for 1400cc of displacement - it would have gone much further had I just left it alone.  I took it on a 5000 mile cross country trip by myself that was absolutely epic.

The road king was superb at what it was meant to do - go somewhere far away in comfort, but still be a daily rider.  It didn't corner for ****, it wanted to run at 70 mph all day and didn't really appreciate anything over 85, but 600-700 mile days were easy with me and the wife on back (I don't do iron butts - not my thing).  I sold it after three years and 60 thousand trouble free miles because I still owed money on it and I was starting a business and didn't need the monthly expense (Still had 2 other bikes in the garage at the time).  I regret it terribly.   

While I demand reliability, I like more than performance on motorcycles, I like character - one of the reasons I am forever stuck lusting after bikes from the early 80's - they all had character!  Harley's have character.  (This Connie has character - I'm just not sure yet exactly what it is...lol)

I'll sum it up like this - of all the bikes I've ever owned (2 Kawis, 2 Hondas, 3 Yamahas, and 2 Harleys), the Sportster is my favorite all around bike - A Harley Davidson.  I love all types, all brands, all styles of motorcycle, and all have flaws, but Harley gets unfairly treated, IMHO, because of the history of the MoCo itself, and the history of the Harley culture, not the bikes.

Now, as to the original idea about twins - I'm a "V" fan and a thumper fan.  Only my 2 Kawi's were inline engines.  My Honda's were an '86 V-twin shadow and an '84 V4 Magna (WHAT A BIKE!).  My Yamaha's, are two '78 SR500 thumpers (can not tell you how cool these bikes are!) and a V4 '85 Venture Royal.  And, of course, 2 Harley's.  I'm extremely interested in the new Indians and I've looked a Victory bikes several times over the last few years.

In the immortal words of Ron Burgundy, "I love torque.  Torquie torque torque."  The biggest challenge to the Connie is re-learning to keep the rpms ABOVE 4 grand instead of under 4 grand...lol

"This is where I place a funny comment."

Offline texrider

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2015, 03:44:46 pm »
Tall adventure steeds may get tiresome. What about a fun standard like the CB1100? You could move out of the cruiser and Guzzi.
2014 Valkyrie