Author Topic: Led Turn signal bulbs  (Read 33026 times)

Offline Arata

Re: Led Turn signal bulbs
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 08:47:39 am »
50.00 a pair??

Did I read that correctly?

Holy Crap!
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 01:52:27 pm »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 09:16:46 pm »
They're  $18. The web address is below.

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Bright-Chipsets-Projector/dp/B00XV4W686?ie=UTF8&colid=3K2KTB7HRHX2A&coliid=ICZZ6Q8MHZ4XX&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl/

This is extremely interesting.   So much so that I just put two pair in my cart...
Note the correct URL that is NOT from your gift list is:  http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Bright-Chipsets-Projector/dp/B00XV4W686
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:53:18 am by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 12:38:31 pm »
Thanks Max, didn't know Amazon did that.

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 01:22:45 pm »
This is extremely interesting.   So much so that I just put two pair in my cart...

:popcorn:  I'll be keeping an eye out for your report on these max', as you and I are pretty much in agreement that, so far, LEDs just don't fill the reflector (focal problems) with enough light to equal a filament bulb. However if they can tackle it another way, it appears they have 6 chips behind the projector lens instead of the usual 1, then that will work for me. I've gone over to the "light side" on LED headlights (they're not perfect yet for our reflectors, but good enough now IMO) but, like you, I've seen nothing close in the turn signals. I hope this one is it.

They're  $18. The web address is below. You must have found something else for $50.

Pete, I think he was referring to the Original Post at the top of the thread.
Regardless, thanks for the link!  :finger_fing11:
With any luck (for us) you'll have to switch your front sockets back to the originals to use these...oh wait you used a Dremel...oh oh...OK, no luck for you.  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 03:53:26 pm »
Thanks Max, didn't know Amazon did that.

I didn't either.  Amazon kept throwing this strange warning about a duplicate "gift" in my cart over and over again.  I finally gave up and removed it from the cart and did a manual search.  That is when I realized your URL was from something other than just a plain search.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 03:58:18 pm »
:popcorn:  I'll be keeping an eye out for your report on these max', as you and I are pretty much in agreement that, so far, LEDs just don't fill the reflector (focal problems) with enough light to equal a filament bulb. However if they can tackle it another way, it appears they have 6 chips behind the projector lens instead of the usual 1, then that will work for me. I've gone over to the "light side" on LED headlights (they're not perfect yet for our reflectors, but good enough now IMO) but, like you, I've seen nothing close in the turn signals. I hope this one is it.

Yep, I studied them carefully.  The 6 LEDs on top and the reviews make it look too good.  Then the really low price made me jump.  Crossing my fingers.  And since I am in the mood for risk, I found these by the same vendor:  http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-Bright-Chipsets/dp/B018GYMOZ0  and they look like they will blow away the mediocre LED's I currently have for the city lights.... so those are in my cart too.

With any luck (for us) you'll have to switch your front sockets back to the originals to use these...oh wait you used a Dremel...oh oh...OK, no luck for you.  ;)

This same JDM ASTAR vendor has the identical bulbs but for standard 1156 sockets too...  http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Bright-Chipsets-Projector/dp/B00WVLNJ54  (BE CAREFUL PEOPLE, THAT LAST URL IS NOT FOR THE STOCK KAWASAKI SOCKETS!!)

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 08:53:26 pm »
Actually I dremeled the new GM 1157 sockets so they would fit where the OEM sockets were.  All my original parts are untouched. But as Max said, there's plenty of variety for the more common 1156 and 1157 sockets. I think I even came across an 1157 that is white in the running mode and flashes yellow in the turn signal mode. Right now I have incandescent 1157s in the front because I was ready to put it together when the weather started warming up instead of shopping for bulbs. I was thinking of trying these new 1156PY's in the back turn signals.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 10:35:36 pm »
I guess I will be everyone's guinea pig, then, since mine are on order now (front and rear) and should be here within the next week or so.  Can't promise when I will have the energy to tear apart the sides to install the fronts, but I will certainly compare the rears immediately.

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 08:03:11 am »
...oh wait you used a Dremel...oh oh...OK, no luck for you.  ;)

Actually I dremeled the new GM 1157 sockets so they would fit where the OEM sockets were.  All my original parts are untouched.

Don't need luck if you start off smart. Well done.  :finger_fing11:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 05:50:12 pm »
OK- WOW.  The JDM Astar bulbs arrived today and are exactly what I have been waiting for all these years.  I have lots of analysis and photos to come.  Haven't done front yet, just rear.  Light distribution is awesome, illumination is considerably brighter than stock incandescent.   City lights are even more awesome, perhaps DOUBLE the brightness of incandescent.... will update that separate thread later too.  Color me happy so far...

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 08:36:22 pm »
  I have lots of analysis and photos to come.  Haven't done front yet, just rear.  Light distribution is awesome, illumination is considerably brighter than stock incandescent.   City lights are even more awesome, perhaps DOUBLE the brightness of incandescent.... will update that separate thread later too.  Color me happy so far...

https://youtu.be/arZdeg_fL-I

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 02:52:05 am »
OK- WOW.  The JDM Astar bulbs arrived today and are exactly what I have been waiting for all these years.  I have lots of analysis and photos to come.  Haven't done front yet, just rear.  Light distribution is awesome, illumination is considerably brighter than stock incandescent.   City lights are even more awesome, perhaps DOUBLE the brightness of incandescent.... will update that separate thread later too.  Color me happy so far...

This is good news indeed maxtog...we share the same views when it comes to the bullshit claims of most suppliers with regards to light distribution, illumination etc. I look forward to your review!!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2016, 03:34:30 pm »
Why LED?  They use much less power, produce much less heat, have the potential to be much brighter, and they turn on and off instantly.   But there have been numerous problems with LED 1156Y bulbs- they have not been bright enough, the light pattern (light distribution) has been unacceptable, the bulb physically won't fit (too large), and/or the price has been crazy.  My search for for the right bulb has now ended with success.  There might be other brands and models that work equally well now, but these I can vouch for:  JDM Astar 1156PY amber.  I purchased them from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XV4W686  for $18 a pair.   Also can be seen on their site (for more $): https://www.jdmastar.com/5730-smd-7507-1156py-bau15s-led-bulbs.html  Remember, you cannot use "regular" 1156 bulbs in the Concours because the pips on the side are orientated differently.  So the "Y" is important.   

These bulbs have 24 x 5730 SMD (24 5.7mm x 3mm surface mount device) LED chips on them, two rows of 9 around the body, and then 6 on the end and the end is capped with a lens to spread the light.  As such, they have an excellent light pattern that throws light in nearly all directions.  No LED light will have a pattern as good as incandescent, because those have a single filament in the middle, equally visible from all angles.  LED chips are very directional, but this arrangement with the lens helps tremendously.  The light fills all the reflectors.  The color is a little bit more yellow and less orange than stock amber incandescents, but it looks perfectly fine to me.

First task were the rear turn signals.  That was easy.  They are easily opened with a single screw each and replacement takes all of a few minutes.  The result was fantastic.  I estimate the JDM Astar bulbs are at about 50% brighter than stock/standard 1156 incandescent bulbs.   See the following photographs for comparisons of the two.  I will say that at night, they are so bright, I make sure to turn off my signals when sitting at a light when there is a car behind me, just so as not to be annoying  (I actually usually do that in all vehicles, but I make sure of it now).

[Continued on next post]

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2016, 03:39:33 pm »
[Continued from previous post]

The two remaining photos of the rear signals are on this post (there is a limit of photos per posting).

Remember that to use LED bulbs for turn signals, you must either install two load resistors (one on each side) or replace the flasher relay with a solid state device that is designed specifically for the purpose (much, much better solution, since load resistors are big, have to be mounted somewhere, waste power, and get very hot).  I recommend the following from another posting I made:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17998.msg242704#msg242704

[Continued on next post]