Author Topic: Marriage- what's the point?  (Read 13471 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Marriage- what's the point?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 02:55:45 pm »
Well, it is certainly nice to see all the positive stories :)   Makes one think not all is so bad.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 03:26:37 pm »
My wife uses a thermostat as a switch. if she is cold, she sets it to 85 until she is hot then she sets it to 55 until she is cold. Rinse, repeat, I get the bill.

So, I'm not alone! Here I thought it was just my wife that didn't understand how thermostats are supposed to work.
I guess I lucked out as at least my wife pays half the bill. Probably why we are still married. Had everything financially combined until the end of our third year of marriage, separated our money and split the bills. Marital bliss?..no...but we are still married and that wasn't going to happen the way we were going back then.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 12:30:42 am »
So, I'm not alone! Here I thought it was just my wife that didn't understand how thermostats are supposed to work.

You are far from alone.   It also isn't just a female thing.  I am amazed at how many people don't understand how thermostats work and are supposed to be used.  For example, I would estimate that perhaps as high as 80% of people think that setting it colder than the temp they want will make it colder faster.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 04:57:03 am »
That's funny stuff about the thermostats! My wife doesn't understand the principal behind them either. I've tried and tired to explain it to her but her eyes just glaze over and I'm talking to myself.

No honey, it doesn't heat the house faster if you turn it up to 85.    ::)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 05:37:53 am »

No honey, it doesn't heat the house faster if you turn it up to 85.    ::)

It does if you have a heat pump and you activate the second switch that turns the electric heat strips on.   :o  LOL! 

My wife is the one who pays the utilities.  That cured her of wanting to run around in shorts in the winter, and sweaters in the summer. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 06:13:11 am »
Back on topic, thermostats and marriage are great, but so is single life  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 06:27:38 am »
Until you get old...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 09:14:27 am »
That's a real no sheeter right there.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 11:38:36 am »
I married first time when I was 20. Married about 8 years, two kids. For reasons I don't really care to discuss in a public forum, that one ended.

I married again (with one stepson) and am about to reach the 28 year mark (with one college graduate that's ours). We have always shared bank accounts and bills. It's our money, our house, our thermostat, etc. We discuss potential purchases and we don't buy anything that I don't get her permission on (8)). Over the years we've gone through her making the most money for awhile, but now I do. Either way, it's still OUR money so we spend it to our mutual benefit.

Oh, and as far as that thermostat, she defers to my judgment almost 100% of the time and I just toss her a throw blanket when she asks me for one (year round).
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 02:39:28 pm »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 05:35:14 pm »
Retire to the Philippines. Your money will go farther, too.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2015, 09:21:34 pm »
Why would I want to marry when I get older? Serious question. I've been thinking when I'm older I should settle down and marry but then I can't think of why I would do that?

If I don't man-up and marry Teressa, one day she may bail on me though.

Thus far she's smiling though  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 04:53:09 am »
  For me 41 years next week.  Happy  YES!!  She also my riding partner we have riden thousand s of miles together. Some on 1 bike.
Mostly with her riding her own. I think we have riden in 23 states so far. Joint bank account since day 1. and I never look at the thermostat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 07:29:50 pm »
Why would I want to marry when I get older? Serious question. I've been thinking when I'm older I should settle down and marry but then I can't think of why I would do that?

If I don't man-up and marry Teressa, one day she may bail on me though.

Thus far she's smiling though  ;D

Again serious question and per topic what's the point ;D

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 07:58:18 pm »
Well, recently, in Ohio, all medical benefits have been cancelled to unmarried couples, so it may be an economic one for some. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50