Author Topic: Wife wants a toy hauler  (Read 5350 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: Wife wants a toy hauler
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 11:27:06 am »
My neighbor bought a crew-cab pickup with an 8' bed to pull his (wife's) Airstream trailer. He carries his cycle in the truck bed, along with the ramps. Works for him.

From what I've seen from the toy hauler type trailers, I wouldn't have one. Too bare bones inside and don't appear to be very well made.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 01:28:54 pm »
My neighbor bought a crew-cab pickup with an 8' bed to pull his (wife's) Airstream trailer. He carries his cycle in the truck bed, along with the ramps. Works for him.

From what I've seen from the toy hauler type trailers, I wouldn't have one. Too bare bones inside and don't appear to be very well made.

They make extremely high-end ones too.  Every one I've been in smells like gas/oil/motorcycle, but i hear there are high end ones so high end that is eliminated too.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jim H

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 01:39:53 pm »
  The way to go is with a separate garage to help keep out the smells.....but I would imagine that only works so well.   I used to put my vmax in the bed of my truck and pull a 25' TT but that is sold and wife is not into riding so only pedal bikes in bed of truck when we camp now.  LOL

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 07:18:19 pm »
I would like to get a slide in for my wife's long bed 2500HD.  Then she can pull her horse trailer, and I can put my dual sport in there with her horse. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 12:41:15 pm »
  The way to go is with a separate garage to help keep out the smells.....but I would imagine that only works so well.   I used to put my vmax in the bed of my truck and pull a 25' TT but that is sold and wife is not into riding so only pedal bikes in bed of truck when we camp now.  LOL

My toy hauler has a wall with a sliding glass door separating the C-10 from the rest. I open the top vent to the front, the lower vent near the ramp to the rear while we mover and it stays clean smelling. I also don't let the Connie sit in the garage unless we're traveling. It parks outside under the canopy. There's also a roof vent that is open during parking. Leaving the ramp down keeps it clean, too. The gas tank for the fueling station is a 20 gal plastic fuel tank under the floor that has a pump and fuel gauge on the side of the trailer. Connie's are notorious about venting through the tank cap, but I let mine cool before loading. Not a lot of odor.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
  • Mid Flowriduh a.a.d.
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 07:59:11 pm »
The route that we went was to get a used Roadtrek 200Versatile Class B. They also are available on a Dodge or Sprinter chassis.

Ours looks like this:

It has most everything needed for "camping", A/C, Onan genset, shower, toilet, awning, nuker, stove, furnace, 30gal water tank, etc. These are not huge inside, obviously, and you have to be OK with that, but more room than you would think. It pretty much drives like a van and goes a lot of places that big rigs don't fit. Nice for boondocking and "stealth" camping as well. And they get about 13-16mpg for the gassers, over 20 with diesel.

I picked up a 6x10 enclosed to haul the bike. It does drop the mpg by about two. 5x8 would be a bit snug.

We just got back from a 4400 mile two week trip up into Canada and we still like it and each other.

We plan on wearing this thing out after retirement, with the bike in tow behind it. Mostly driving somewhere cool, hang out a few days or more, beating around on the bike exploring. Or it could all change.  :rotflmao:

Whatever you figure out, have fun.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
'99 Conk: 227k mi, '98 KLR650 back from Cal
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 14 year member)