Author Topic: A very interesting use for a drone  (Read 25558 times)

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
Re: A very interesting use for a drone
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 10:25:46 AM »
And now you too can take a drone taxi...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonder/software-engineer-developing-a-taxi-drone/vi-BBlELIg

Well it's getting there.. So far can only stay aloft for 10 seconds.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
Well, if they can make it glide for 30 seconds more, that might be enough to get one away from the crowded airport....

Brian

And now you too can take a drone taxi...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonder/software-engineer-developing-a-taxi-drone/vi-BBlELIg

Well it's getting there.. So far can only stay aloft for 10 seconds.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »
No airports.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 02:07:58 PM »
Not only is Amazon going to use them for deliveries, DHL now plans to use 'em

Add a DRONE to their pic  ;D    ;D    ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 02:23:09 PM »
I kinda' could use a drone for a major house project going on.... I wonder if Amazon would use a drone to deliver a drone to me? How ironical....

Drones might even add a certain safety factor to, say, using things like fireworks. You could mount them on the drone and use electrical triggers to light them and then <hopefully> drop them. Great idea, eh?  I wonder if a circular saw could be affixed accurately to a drone.... then you could make a whole bunch of cuts in the same plank, all pre- planned and accurately done. Man, I can see the uses for these things are going to be nearly limitless..... along with the need for Kevlar umbrellas for the entire population. Oh yeah, this is gonna' go somewhere, maybe even everywhere.

But seriously, these things are really pretty cool and I really would like to get one for documenting the current house work....

Brian

Not only is Amazon going to use them for deliveries, DHL now plans to use 'em

Add a DRONE to their pic  ;D    ;D    ;D

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
It was probably a male drone and that Eagle did not want to let him anywhere near his female eagle.

Brian

Drone vs Eagle

http://youtu.be/Hr-xBtVU4lg

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2015, 02:43:46 PM »
I kinda' could use a drone for a major house project going on.... I wonder if Amazon would use a drone to deliver a drone to me? How ironical....

Drones might even add a certain safety factor to, say, using things like fireworks. You could mount them on the drone and use electrical triggers to light them and then <hopefully> drop them. Great idea, eh?  I wonder if a circular saw could be affixed accurately to a drone.... then you could make a whole bunch of cuts in the same plank, all pre- planned and accurately done. Man, I can see the uses for these things are going to be nearly limitless..... along with the need for Kevlar umbrellas for the entire population. Oh yeah, this is gonna' go somewhere, maybe even everywhere.

But seriously, these things are really pretty cool and I really would like to get one for documenting the current house work....

Brian

They can be easily had, a wedding photographer friend just bought one to shoot photos from above.  He's all into it, changing out the blades to carbon fiber, etc
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2015, 02:53:15 PM »
I want to figure out a way to get a drone to paint in places I can't reach.

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2015, 03:01:16 PM »
... changing out the blades to carbon fiber, etc
Oh lord, not another carbon fiber blade thread...
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »
Just mount a paint gun in the place that says "Put Glock here".

Or, just leave the Glock mounted to the drone and find a painter who owns a ladder..... then threaten him with the drone.

C'mon people, this stuff is too easy- sometimes I think you are not even trying.

;D

Brian

I want to figure out a way to get a drone to paint in places I can't reach.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
I wonder what kind of oil drones use....

Brian

Oh lord, not another carbon fiber blade thread...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2015, 03:31:07 PM »
I am just looking for a fairly inexpensive model, not anything like a professional photographer would use. I am not sure but I assume drones are sold by the caliber? If so, I think I want, oh, maybe a .32 auto drone or perhaps a .380 auto, or maybe even a 38 Special if they are not too much. I really do not have any need for the .45 ACP grade drone. And of course a .50 BMG is totally out of my price range.

Brian

They can be easily had, a wedding photographer friend just bought one to shoot photos from above.  He's all into it, changing out the blades to carbon fiber, etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2015, 04:02:31 PM »
I am just looking for a fairly inexpensive model, not anything like a professional photographer would use. I am not sure but I assume drones are sold by the caliber? If so, I think I want, oh, maybe a .32 auto drone or perhaps a .380 auto, or maybe even a 38 Special if they are not too much. I really do not have any need for the .45 ACP grade drone. And of course a .50 BMG is totally out of my price range.

Brian

If we're talking caliber, I want the 16" naval gun from the battleship Missouri drone I can strap myself into to use as a magic carpet.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »

Brian

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-QuadCopter-Battery-Crash-BLH7600/dp/B00RC7H80E/ref=pd_sim_21_11?ie=UTF8&refRID=09S1W338CS090XS2N4CF

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »
Thanks for the link.

Does not look like that model has a camera. Also, it seems to be an indoor device, not sure it would work in even mild outdoor conditions. I am looking for something I can fly above and around my house for photographing or better yet, video. Also, more airborne endurance would be great although I realize that opens the whole size / price can of worms. But it would be great to video a whole series of roof trusses being erected (do I even need to say it? !!). Of course anything that could stay aloft for a hour or more is going to be prohibitively expensive.

I guess the basic question I would have would be what is a reasonable price for an outdoor, video carrying drove that has at least 8- 10 minutes of flight duration. Going to a point in 3D space and hovering there facing a particular direction would also be outstanding so photographs / video could be repeatedly taken from the same location but again, I realize that that might get expensive.

Brian

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-QuadCopter-Battery-Crash-BLH7600/dp/B00RC7H80E/ref=pd_sim_21_11?ie=UTF8&refRID=09S1W338CS090XS2N4CF

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
Sounds like you need to tether a balloon with a camera.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2015, 04:15:16 AM »
You'd have to tether it from several points to keep it in one place.  And of course it would need a smiley face on it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2015, 06:23:11 AM »
But it would be great to video a whole series of roof trusses being erected (do I even need to say it? !!). Of course anything that could stay aloft for a hour or more is going to be prohibitively expensive.

Did Donald Trump visit Rhode Island yet? Maybe he'd take you for a helicopter ride?...lol. ;D

What the heck happened to your roof?

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.