Author Topic: Mounting gone goo-goo  (Read 21840 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Mounting gone goo-goo
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »
Way back when I got the Concours, one of the first things I installed was the Sargent World seat with heater.  The controller came with "industrial strength" velcro.  I used that to slap it on the left angled side of the center tank cover and it stayed there just perfectly for years... until this year.  Now the adhesive has turned into "goo" and the controller slides down off it and gets goo all over.   It used to do that only when it was really hot, but now it does it all the time.  I keep slapping it back and it just keeps sliding off again.  I will have to spend some time one day with a lot of "goo gone" to get the adhesive off the cover, paint, controller, and some other places.

The question is- is there something better I can use to attach the controller that is removable and will NOT turn into a goo-giver after a few years?  I really do not want to mount it "permanently."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

jirod

Re: Mounting gone goo-goo
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:13:39 PM »
Magnets? McMaster-Carr has some incredibly strong, small magnets.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 06:20:49 PM »

I would prefer to keep the controller on the tank cover, which is plastic.  Although it is a good idea.  Of course, anything I use would still require an adhesive of some sort (which is where the problems seem to start... the velcro has never failed, just the adhesive used on it).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 03:31:46 AM »
Way back when I got the Concours, one of the first things I installed was the Sargent World seat with heater.  The controller came with "industrial strength" velcro.  I used that to slap it on the left angled side of the center tank cover and it stayed there just perfectly for years...
I'd say ....... just replace the "industrial strength" velcro with some new "industrial strength" velcro and forget about it for a few more years. You know that it works, so what's the big deal with replacing it every few years?  8)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 05:24:57 AM »
I'd say ....... just replace the "industrial strength" velcro with some new "industrial strength" velcro and forget about it for a few more years. You know that it works, so what's the big deal with replacing it every few years?  8)

Yeah, I guess I can do that, if I can find the same stuff it came with.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 06:37:17 AM »

Yup and I've had best luck with Amazon's searching "industrial strength velcro" and using the 1" wide true velcro brand http://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Industrial-Strength-Extreme-Titanium/dp/B005756516/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439209803&sr=8-2&keywords=industrial+strength+velcro

Only way I've found to make anything more secure is break out my welder! Or perhaps call Wendy for help  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 12:38:40 PM »

I would prefer to keep the controller on the tank cover, which is plastic.  Although it is a good idea. 

You could glue a magnet under the plastic cover (if it's PP you'll need this stuff I think) an then another magnet on your controller.

Personally I Velcro mine (heated gear remote, my Velcro has the same goo) to the clutch reservoir cover.

Max', be careful with what you use on that plastic tank top cover (10+ models) as it is actually painted and I wrecked one doing the same thing (removing something or another with the wrong solvent) and a new one was over $50.00 at the time.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:47:28 PM by fartymarty »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 03:59:39 PM »
You could glue a magnet under the plastic cover (if it's PP you'll need this stuff I think) an then another magnet on your controller.

Hmm, now that is very creative

Personally I Velcro mine (heated gear remote, my Velcro has the same goo) to the clutch reservoir cover.

Max', be careful with what you use on that plastic tank top cover (10+ models) as it is actually painted and I wrecked one doing the same thing (removing something or another with the wrong solvent) and a new one was over $50.00 at the time.

Is it???  It doesn't look painted!  That is very surprising.  I will be careful which cleaning products I use on it, then.  Thanks

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 06:30:14 PM »
Maxtog,
I've used a lot of the "Industrial Strength Velcro".
My observation;
It does hold well- until it gets hot. Then it does just what you're describing. Then you have an "Industrial-sized" mess to clean up...again.

The velcro holds together 3 X's stronger than the adhesive... so when you try to separate the 2 velcro pieces, the adhesive part gives up first.

As long as it doesn't get hot, and you intend to leave it in place, it's ok... until it gets wet.
Then it comes off.

For cleanup that won't harm the paint, I've used WD-40, works pretty well.
Just my .02 cents. HTH's you.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »
I saved my old cover and just came in from doing some testing in the garage. I'm going to take back what I said about it being painted. Like you, I didn't think it was until I ruined mine then I incorrectly assumed that the light texture on the top must be paint. Wrong, I just used some Goof Off on the underside where it obviously isn't painted and it got all messed up as well. Must be dissolving the plastic. So Max' remove the panel and test on the underside. DO NOT USE "GOOF OFF" that is what ruined mine. I also just tried "GOO GONE" it didn't seem to have any negative effect. I looked around for some lighter fluid (naphtha) to test, but I guess I used it all on something else so I don't know if it's safe or not. WD40 had no plastic dissolving effect but it did seem to dull it a bit. Perhaps if followed with pledge it would look just like it did before. The cover isn't made of PP but rather AEPDS, I should have known that earlier since your velcro stuck to it so well.  Good Luck!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 05:43:18 AM »
Yesterday I successfully removed all the goo with "De-Solv-It" then washed the bike well to get rid of that stuff.  It is amazing how far that goo traveled.  It ended up getting distributed by my earphone cords across the top and side of the bike.  Didn't damage anything.

Shopped around trying to find something different for mounting and came up mostly empty.  Thought about "Command Strips" but instead bought some more Velcro.  I don't know what type was included with the controller, but this stuff is called "Industrial Strength Extreme" (not to be confused with "Industrial Strength").  It claims to be sun and waterproof and has a wider temperature tolerance (-30F to 140F).  I guess time will tell.

The only problem is that it is grey, not black.  I didn't think it would matter and tried it.  It matters.  Oh well.  At least the sucker is mounted and not oozing gross stuff all over the place.... for now.