Author Topic: Gas Tank Cap / Latch Corrosion, Cleaning, and Modification  (Read 20807 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Gas Tank Cap / Latch Corrosion, Cleaning, and Modification
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 04:32:59 pm »
This help... http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gascapmod ?

But it sounds (pun intended) like a vent is clogged.  I've never had that happen to my gas cap.
  "LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology.  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 04:42:58 pm »
This help... http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gascapmod ?

Unfortunately, no.  That is about the latch.  I need info on the mess that is above it.  I am quite sure my latch procedures were all fine (still turns great and love the key pull-out mod).  It was when I went in, snooping around under the black rubber area that I believe things went wrong (and also why I cautioned people about it too).

But it sounds (pun intended) like a vent is clogged.  I've never had that happen to my gas cap.

Although it is possible, that would make for a remarkable coincidence to my having to reassemble the cap (4.5 years no problems, mess with cap and then immediately have random pressure issues).  :(
Guhl ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, HID, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 06:00:30 pm »
Although it is possible, that would make for a remarkable coincidence to my having to reassemble the cap (4.5 years no problems, mess with cap and then immediately have random pressure issues).  :(

No problems before you messed with it...   Problems after.   Hmmmm
  "LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology.  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

elp_jc

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 08:05:45 pm »
Twice now I have had the experience of going to fill it with gas and having a near "explosion" of pressure come out of the tank.  I am not sure what causes so much pressure buildup, nor why it wasn't released by the cap.
I've only refueled my 2015 once, and that happened to me. Maybe not 'explosion' bad, but way more than normal IMO. Now, all 2015 bikes have CA emissions now, and maybe that's the way they work (unlikely a brand new bike off the truck has such an issue, but always possible). Positive pressure shouldn't be an issue on a CA bike since fumes are routed thru the charcoal canister (that's what it's for). It'd be nice to see a diagram of how exactly the EVAP system works on these bikes. Anyway, I'll have to determine if what I have is positive or negative (vacuum) pressure, since both 'swishhhh' when tank is opened... but are different problems. Wasn't expecting that, so didn't notice which one. Vacuum can collapse a tank. But the good news is positive pressure should force the gas cap spring open before causing damage to the tank (that's what it's for too). Let us know if you find the culprit. Good luck.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 08:16:20 pm »
One thread talked about a pinched vent hose.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 10:43:38 pm »
Anyway, I'll have to determine if what I have is positive or negative (vacuum) pressure, since both 'swishhhh' when tank is opened... but are different problems.

No question which direction in my case, because it was way more than a swish/hiss.  It energetically spewed out gases forward, toward the dash (that I could even see), after the cap flew open when I turned the key.  "Explosion" might not be the best word, but both events were orders of magnitude more pressurethan I have experienced on any motorcycle (or any vehicle for that matter).
Guhl ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, HID, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2015, 09:16:46 am »
Buy a new cap and have done with it, Max.  51049-0039 105.00 at Ron Ayers or take it in to the dealer or buy an aftermarket cap for about 1/2 or less. 

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2015, 12:22:40 pm »
Buy a new cap and have done with it, Max.  51049-0039 105.00 at Ron Ayers

I will if I have to, but it is just so annoying that it is probably just one little part not in there right and there is no info anywhere.   I hate spending money for no good reason.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 01:28:57 pm »
He says as the bike blows up in front of his face...

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2015, 09:24:18 am »
My gas cap use to squeal like crazy when the weather got hot. At times, I could barely open up the gas cap with all the suction it created.  I took my overly complex gas cap apart and removed a little spring that pressed a plastic valve against air relief valve. I think it's there to prevent gas from coming out if the bike is tipped over, but I'm not sure. Anyways, venting has worked perfectly since, no squealing or excessive suction when opening up the cap. I figured, if the bike crashes or tips over, a small amount of gas on the pavement is going to be the least of my worries. Besides, there's a tip-over sensor that kills the engine, so fire is very unlikely. I got the idea from a forum; I wish I could find it...

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 05:11:27 am »
FWIW - I've got SSR keyless gas caps on both the C-14 and my ZRX and have never had a venting problem

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 03:30:39 am »
I will report back on the long-term results of the "operation", especially to see how effective using white lithium is.  But although I know it is going to corrode again, it is now pretty easy to fix (and I won't let it get this bad again).

One year followup/update....

I have only had a few other times it energetically "poofed" out air when going to fill it, so I haven't taken action on that issue.   But is already starting to corrode significantly again, and getting harder to open.  :(    Freaking ethanol.

MOB recommends coating parts with lithium grease.  As you know, this is what I did the last time I took it apart and put it back together.  It helps, but doesn't seem to last very long.  I might be doomed to this being an annual "take apart, clean, and lube" type thing.

Rick recommends coating parts with aviation lube ( http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ezturnlube.php )

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2016, 04:58:44 am »
I was getting the occasional bit of corrosion around the key hole of the gas hole till I slopped on a bunch of Lock Ease. I worked the key in the lock and got the liquid spread around pretty well. After it dried it left a film and it seems that this film has prevented any more corrosion from forming. Plus the lock is MUCH easier to turn now.

YMMV
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2016, 12:48:21 pm »
I was getting the occasional bit of corrosion around the key hole of the gas hole till I slopped on a bunch of Lock Ease. I worked the key in the lock and got the liquid spread around pretty well. After it dried it left a film and it seems that this film has prevented any more corrosion from forming. Plus the lock is MUCH easier to turn now.

YMMV

Did you disassemble the latch assembly at all before applying the Lock Ease? It seems that the corrosion also gets inside the assembly, along with the exterior and springs.

I would think maxtog's lithium grease attempted to do the same thing -- put a film on the exposed aluminum inside the assembly. Doesn't seem to work for the long haul, though I would think it's better than nothing.

2012 Connie Arabian Candy Red.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2016, 04:58:28 am »
Did you disassemble the latch assembly at all before applying the Lock Ease? It seems that the corrosion also gets inside the assembly, along with the exterior and springs.

I would think maxtog's lithium grease attempted to do the same thing -- put a film on the exposed aluminum inside the assembly. Doesn't seem to work for the long haul, though I would think it's better than nothing.

I wanted to try this out without taking anything apart first. It seems to have worked for me. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn